Join Early Retirement Today

Farrah
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Farrah

I'm sure most of you have heard she passed away today. I admire Farrah for the movies she made. She tried to deliver a message instead of just cashing in on her beauty. Yes, she was beautiful. Just curious how many of you fellas loved her famous poster?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg farrah.jpg (27.8 KB, 8 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

As a child of the '70s, I think darned near every teenage and nearly-teenage boy had that poster on the wall of their bedroom.

I have a ways to go (I hope), but every time another piece of my childhood passes on, my connection to mortality becomes that much greater.

The loss is sad, but I'm glad she isn't suffering any more. What she had (to some) embarrassing and wasn't easy to talk about, and if it helps encourage more to come forward and get it detected early, it won't have been in vain.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
...I Just curious how many of you fellas loved her famous poster?
Can't say I loved the poster but it was much classier than a bikini would be. Did she marry Ryan?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Can't say I loved the poster but it was much classier than a bikini would be. Did she marry Ryan?
I was just talking to my mom on the phone about this. Neither of us knows if they did marry. Mom told me she heard Farrah had a sense of humor right up to the end. She kidded with Ryan and said she'd marry him but would insist on a pre-nup.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm guilty, I had the poster. I'm sorry to see her go.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I believe they were planning on getting married after she left the hospital, which of course she never did. I always thought the best part of the poster was her smile.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can't say I loved the poster but it was much classier than a bikini would be.
Just curious, any lady celebs you admired from that era? If I had to venture a guess, I might say Stevie Nicks. Don't ask me why, it just popped in my head.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I always thought she was gorgeous. However, I have to admit I considered her as just another big fluffy haired female celebrity until I watched "The Burning Bed" movie. Now that was a heck of a performance she gave.
She had a very tumultuous real life. She is out of pain now, and will always be remembered as a 1970s icon.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

To me, that poster was more famous than the one of Marilyn Monroe...not that I've looked at a lot of female posters.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Much too young...

May she rest in peace.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Much too young...

May she rest in peace.

Yeah.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Just curious, any lady celebs you admired from that era? If I had to venture a guess, I might say Stevie Nicks. Don't ask me why, it just popped in my head.
Reply was private and I had to look up Stevie Nicks.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Reply was private and I had to look up Stevie Nicks.
Oh boy! Stevie is/was something else Gosh what a set of vocals.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Poor Farrah didn't even get a whole day of rememberances to herself...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Kinda sums up life.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Let's dedicate the whole weekend to her! SO and I stopped squabbling over the remote long enough to watch her entire (was it three hour) documentary. Makes me want to travel up into the German countryside or re-read, "The Magic Mountain."
Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I guess it is fitting that I missed this thread. I loved Charlie's Angels, had her poster on my wall, and like Freebird my opinion of her changed dramatically after seeing Burning Bed.

She had a few flaky celebrities moments but for the most part seemed like a good relative normal person. (Certainly compared to the other recent celebs in the news.)

One of my best friends survived (knock on wood) anal cancer, watching her struggle gave me an insight in to his troubles. For that I am thankful.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I guess it is fitting that I missed this thread. I loved Charlie's Angels, had her poster on my wall, and like Freebird my opinion of her changed dramatically after seeing Burning Bed.

She had a few flaky celebrities moments but for the most part seemed like a good relative normal person. (Certainly compared to the other recent celebs in the news.)

One of my best friends survived (knock on wood) anal cancer, watching her struggle gave me an insight in to his troubles. For that I am thankful.
Burning Bed made a big impression on me too. That's what I loved about Farrah. She chose roles that didn't make her look sexy or beautiful but had a message. It would have been so easy for her to make big bucks on her looks. I'm really sad her death and her life story was overshadowed by bigger news. Not bitter mind you, because I really do understand the reaction to Michael. I just wish Farrah had her final opportunity to share her story. She was such a brave and remarkable woman.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I had that poster also, the performance in Burning bed proved she was a good actress. I liked her in Cannonball run
Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #20

Many years ago (25-30?) there were a total of three of us in an elevator: Farrah, Ryan and me. Farrah and Ryan were doing a lot of touching (in kind of fun way) and I got to stand there and watch. They were even kind enough to acknowledge me with smiles and nods. But, somehow I felt although I was in that elevator with them, they really weren't in that elevator with me. I mean, they didn't tell all their friends about their encounter with redduck in an elevator...at least would assume they didn't. I wonder what would have happened if I tried to strike up a conversation about asset allocation. Oh, well, yet another opportunity missed.

ps: both Ryan and Farrah were extremely cute. Farrah was amazingly cute, even better than in the poster.

Perhaps one day I'll relate my Bo Derek story.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote