Join Early Retirement Today

Fashionistas - What are you wearing these days?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fashionistas - What are you wearing these days?

I was going thru my 2nd clothes closet, and ran across all the w*rk clothes I will probably never ever wear again. I thought of all the "uniforms" I wore at different stages of my life.

What "uniforms" have you worn and at what ages and stages of your life?

My list...
Elementary and high school - parochial school uniforms, i.e. plaid skirts and knee socks and blazers
Part-time jobs - food service "whites", small engine and auto mechanic grey jumpsuits + shirts and slacks, Jack-in-the-Box and Dunkin Donuts uniforms.
College - jeans and T shirts and sweaters
C*reer - polyester pantsuits, blue laboratory coat, "power suits" for briefings and technical conferences
FIRE - sweats or shorts, and T shirts
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

infant....cloth diapers
grade school...dresses. Girls couldn't wear pants.
high school...very short dresses, mini skirts, body suits and hip hugger jeans
working daze...dresses, sweaters, slacks and the occasional power suit

present...wore tee shirt, shorts and sandals today...high was 78. Will wear sweats and socks on Saturday...high will be 40.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Early school - jeans, tshirts, sneakers
College - shorts, tshirts, sneakers
Early career - cutoffs, sandals, tshirts w pocket
Late career - shorts, sandals, tshirts
Retired - shorts, barefoot, tshirts
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Lately:
carpenter jeans with sweat pants under
sweat shirt over Henley over tee shirt
goose down parka
thick socks boots
thick gloves ear muffs and watch cap
frost on beard mustache
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

ealry childhood thru present(age 29)
- jeans(shorts jun-aug)
- t shirt
-add hooded sweatshirt if temp falls below 60
-add winter jacket if temp falls below 40

No difference whether i'm at work or not.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
gone traveling

at this moment?

...purple sequin jockstrap and a light coat of oil.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jeans / leather shoes / shirt or T-shirt / sweater / corduroy or fleece jacket. Pretty standard uniform for me these days, whether at home, at work or on the town. I don't have any special work clothes. I am a scientist and I wear the same lab coat day after day, so purchasing fashionable work clothes is futile (plus it would probably end up with an acid burn on it).

I can't really remember what I used to wear back in the days, nor do I care to.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

early school: casual pants and decent shirts
high school / college: jeans, t shirts, sweatshirts, sneakers
career: business casual
Lately: sweats, smart wool socks, parka, t shirts, hiking boot, and a fashionable blue lower leg cast
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
infant....cloth diapers
grade school...dresses. Girls couldn't wear pants.
high school...very short dresses, mini skirts, body suits and hip hugger jeans
working daze...dresses, sweaters, slacks and the occasional power suit

present...wore tee shirt, shorts and sandals today...high was 78. Will wear sweats and socks on Saturday...high will be 40.
they let you wear tee shirts and shorts when you volunteer at the station? or do ya have to wear a police uniform?

R
Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #10

For me, suits for nearly a quarter century...off the JC Penney or Sears rack for first 8-10 of those, a little better for a few years, and power suits for the last 10 years. Sweats on winter weekends, shorts and t-shirts in the summer.

R
Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #11

School daze: semi-dressy shirts, pants, leather shoes. They had a dress code back then. Same in college, although a bit more relaxed. Sneakers were okay. Some slobs wore jeans.

Jobs in high school/college were uniforms at two gas stations, back when they had people to pump the gas, check the tires, oil, and clean the windshield.

Uniform for a large department store chain that had it's own service department. I worked on heating an refrigeration stuff.

Police uniform for 18 years on the road, then formal suits for fraud and computer crime units. I had about one inch of unused belt space left under the suit jacket after hanging 20 lbs of junk on. 9mm semi-auto, 2 magazines, radio, pager, cell phone (yes both; it was government) handcuffs, collapsible baton, pepper spray.

Now: uniform for armed security for private contractor at a gummint facility. The belt weighs about 20 lbs, some complain of backaches from it. Weapon, 2 magazines w/15 rounds each, handcuffs, collapsible baton, pepper spray, flashlight.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

For day-to-day work I wear basically "business casual", my present interpretation of which is a polo shirt and black, brown, tan, or dark green slacks, New Balance running shoes, and little to no make-up. At formal meetings where I am representing the agency I wear a nice conservative suit or dress with jacket and pumps and lots of expensive make-up.

On the weekends when Frank and I are just hanging out together, usually I wear the same "business casual" outfits that I would wear to work (unless we are going someplace special). This is more of an LBYM decision than a fashion decision, since my work clothes can do double duty this way.

When I am at home alone, often I wear shorts and a t-shirt for comfort (with a light blanket over my lap in the winter). I wear the same (without the blanket, of course!) when I work out at the gym.

As for high school, in my day girls were not permitted to wear slacks at all, necklines were high, and skirts had to come to the middle of the knee. For P.E. we had to wear a uniform - - horrible sashed blue tunics over a white short sleeved shirt, with matching blue bloomers.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

grade school - uniforms
high school - uniforms that we would try to hike up
nursing school strached uniforms and a cap
working - scrubs mostly
now - retired casual jeans or capris , sandals , blouse , light weight sweater or my gym clothes
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #14
Administrator

grade school and High School - uniforms complete with blazer, shirt & tie and school badge on blazer with the school motto "En Avant"

Work - jacket and tie even at chemical plants, until I came to the USA then business casual.

Spent 4 years at Corporate Headquarters ('04 - '08) and it was shirt and tie (no jacket required - business casual on Fridays)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alan in school uniform.jpg (76.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Uniforms till age 10.
10-16 whatever my mother picked out
16-27.....the great rebellion went from the skater, goth, intellectual, and slob look.
27-now, business casual for work.....and for play jeans, capris, t-shirts, tanks, and nothing (at the nudist resort)
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jeans are an oddly American thing I am told, though that might be changing. Foreign friends from western Europe tell me that it's rare to see people over 35 or 40 wearing jeans anywhere except when doing physical labor, gardening or, I suppose, rounding up horses. In fact, it's a common American marker (like shorts, loud shirts, and goofy smiles) for many Europeans.

OTOH, I heard that in Germany at least, jeans are seen more and more.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
they let you wear tee shirts and shorts when you volunteer at the station? or do ya have to wear a police uniform?

R
My dress is casual there...usually sweaters, jeans and of course my badge. If I go out on the street, I have to wear a VIP police uniform.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Jeans are an oddly American thing I am told, though that might be changing. Foreign friends from western Europe tell me that it's rare to see people over 35 or 40 wearing jeans anywhere except when doing physical labor, gardening or, I suppose, rounding up horses. In fact, it's a common American marker (like shorts, loud shirts, and goofy smiles) for many Europeans.
What really does mark out Americans in Europe clothes wise, is sneakers.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

During the early part of my career, it was all about power suits, very high heels, and briefcases. Back then, I always wore coordinated jewelry, expensive perfume, and makeup. Later in my career, I wore mostly "business casual" and only suited up for meetings and presentations. These days, I mainly hang out in jeans. When I perform my volunteer work, I wear a spiffy shirt they gave me with the animal shelter logo on it. Big change from those "power suit" days!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
What really does mark out Americans in Europe clothes wise, is sneakers.
Or uttering the phrase "Why can't these dang feriners learn to speak Merican like evurbody else!?!?"?

Particularly when in the UK?

Presently to work: khakis and polo shirt or button up short sleeve shirt. Tie and maybe a suit jacket when attending formal hearings.

At home: shorts and any kind of shirt. Out and about - same. Or business casual-work attire if going to a decent restaurant or social event.

Formerly at law firms - suit most days and I have at least 6-8 long sleeve button up blue or white dress shirts and ties.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote