Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

110 mph with a BMW 325, it had more left but 110 was thrilling enough.

More memorable though was 100 mph in a 73 Vega in college with 2 buddies along, back in the young and stupid days. Car got to 90 easily, but it took 2-3 minutes for it to creep up to 100 mph. So the exposure to getting caught and an expensive ticket were high.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I can remember as a kid telling my mom that Dad had the speedometer all the way to the end (120) when he and a neighbor took some of us kids on a fireworks run over the state border.

I don't think I've crossed 100 myself. I was doing 95 once in Tennessee back when the limit was 55. Some trucks kept passing me in then slowing down and boxing me in, so I decided to lose them. Then I saw flashing lights. I got down to 55 as quickly as I could, hoping he hadn't gotten a good reading....and the ambulance zipped by. Whew!

75 in the Miata with the top down feels like 100, so I've got the rush without risk of a ticket.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #23

120 or so in a 1977 Plymouth Fury. Was chasing a guy going just a little bit faster, but Motorola was faster than him.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I was in the back seat of a Plymouth GTX running 130-ish, when the driver let the wheels slip off the edge of the pavement. He panicked, and swerved to get back on pavement. When the wheels hit the shoulder, we started spinning, doing two/three revs, passing a car backwards at near 100, skidding to a stop in a guy's yard.

That was the last time I was in a vehicle traveling over 100.

My pickup will do 80-90 all day long in good weather, but starts getting squirrelly over 90...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

110 in my Cougar...I was driving.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #27

Glad to see I'm not the only crazy person in the forum.

The fastest while driving was 140-145 in my 88 Mustang GT. That was back in the days when speedometers used to max out at 85 so I had to use the tach to figure out the speed. It was weird to see the needle buried down in the odometer and coming back around toward 0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
120 or so in a 1977 Plymouth Fury.
I started out driving our old 76 Dodges, fast cars but bench seats in the front meant you slid over into your partner's lap when taking hard turns. When I finally had enough seniority to have a regularly assigned car it was a 1979 Chrysler that was a year or two old. It was beat all to hell, but it had tremendous acceleration.

First chase in that car was one that had already gone through three divisions before it got to us, so we were tail end charlie. Doing about 110, I felt that car had more to give, so I moved over into a clear lane and stepped on it. It took off like a bullet. We passed about twenty police cars in a flash and the next thing I know some supervisor is screaming over the radio "do not ram the suspect!". I was thinking,"who the hell is he talking to?", when I realized I was neck and neck with the bad guy. We were doing about 125 and it seemed like it was just getting wound up good when I had to back off.

I loved that car.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

183---1980'S High School Reunion--met up with my best buddie who had a trashed out 1967 Corvette with a big, big motor and he took me for a fast spin---bet it only really got up to around 160--man was I glad to get out of that heap--scared me to death. Early 1960's Mom and us four kids were coming home from 16 hours at the State Fair 80 miles away. My brother cajoled my Mom into getting our 57 Buick over 100---I think she was just burned out from the day and trying to get home as soon as possible.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #29
gone traveling

140+ My buddy's hot-rod Camaro. We had just finished the bodywork on the fender flares and put new Mickey Thompson's all around. I was driving. That was as high as the speedo went- and we had it buried for probably 5 minutes. 19 years old, on a beer run -slight downhill, coming back from KS to MO on I-435 with about 10 cases of Coors in the trunk... it all started at about 80-90mph when a guy in a Charger tried to pass us.....

This had the potential to go wrong in a lot of different ways, but it was a warm summer night, we were 19- young and dumb and going to live forever......and there were half-drunk college girls at the party waiting for us to get back with that beer..

I've got a grin on my face just typing this...

Good thread, thefed.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My car is so slow I have to clean bugs off the rear window. I was gonna take it through a 1/4 mile pass once, but figured I'd have to make a potty stop before I got to the other end.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
My car is so slow I have to clean bugs off the rear window. I was gonna take it through a 1/4 mile pass once, but figured I'd have to make a potty stop before I got to the other end.
.........eh heh........
Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was a passenger in a car going over 140. I was on a first (and last) date with a guy who was in the Special Forces and had souped up his car. He had been out of the country and this was his first chance to 'really let 'er run!' I was scared to death but I was a teenager and trying to be cool. We were on our way to the movies. I can't remember what kind of car it was only that it was an older car that had the lap seat belts.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Me driving...100 mph in my Mom's 1969 Mustang. Front end start vibrating so I had to back off. Bummer. I had to let the guy in the Chevy Nova (who challenged me in the first place ) go ahead and pass me by.
LH driving on the Autobahn in Germany...he wouldn't tell me.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

about 120 in a tricked out Capri late at night on a freeway.

Let me see if I can remember all the car modifications:

Holly 4 barrel carb
Edelbrock manifold
Dual exhaust
and.....
stripped out all smog equipment (before the smog laws were in effect)

I loved that car. I had to give it up when Cali enacted the smog laws. There was no way it was going to pass the certification - especially with the smog gear removed!
Old 08-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

95 in a Rambler American, back in 1958 (I was 17). Four cylinders, & unbalanced tires. Thought the car was gonna shake itself to pieces. Later, found out that the Silver Strand in San Diego was supposed to be swarming with speed cops, looking out for young fools doing just that -- don't know how they missed me.

Later, doing about 135 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, in a semi-stolen (I found out later) sports car, on a bet.

Never, never, ever again ... but see the thread for motorcycles.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #36

125 or so. I remember the engine sputtering on and off as the electronic speed governor kicked in. One time only when I was young, and I don't feel the need to ever do it again.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I want to see a scatter diagram of top speed versus AA. Seems to be a lot more risk going on here than in any portfolio I've heard mentioned. Some of you cash hoarders, I'm surprised you would even get in a "horseless carriage".

-ERD50
Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not exactly sure it's kind of a blur,

Remember 120+ in a friends trans am
Remember over 100 listening to "life in the fast lane" after the driver got his eyes covered from the backseat passenger some of the people in the car got nevous.
Think I had a friends porsche 130+
Never really cared for the top end out of control thing always liked quick take offs and tight corners.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I want to see a scatter diagram of top speed versus AA. Seems to be a lot more risk going on here than in any portfolio I've heard mentioned. Some of you cash hoarders, I'm surprised you would even get in a "horseless carriage".

-ERD50
Well sonny, I was a young whippersnapper back in the day...now I'm just a withered up, old crow ..........(sans the beard)
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #40

This guy went faster than all of us:

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote