Faucet leak repair

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
This faucet has a leak. It probably needs a new washer. Problem is, I can't find a way to take it apart. No sign of thread or screw anywhere, and nothing gives when I just try to twist apart different sections. Any ideas which might be the connecting parts? No manufacturer or brand marks anywhere to look for instructions.

Attachments

• bathroom faucet.jpg
    bathroom faucet.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 34
Probably a cap on the end will pop off to allow you to get to a screw that holds the handle on. I have a similar looking one except it has a small cap that pops off on top to allow you to get to the screw that holds the handle on.

Last edited:
+2, although you may have to change out a cartridge instead of a washer.

Fixed father in laws faucet a few weeks ago. When I pulled it apart there wasn't a washer, it was a small cartridge that used a spring loaded rubber seat. The rubber seat was just gunked up and stuck so I cleaned it up so it could move freely and it fixed the problem.

No luck yet. No cap pops off the end, no screw on the back, no spout.

I've checked dozens of links to videos or help sites, and most start with "find the screw" or something similar. There is no brand to be found anywhere, so no point in looking over the major manufacturer websites.

Should be access as described above. If not, you may have to remove the whole faucet from below and get at the washer or cartridge from the faucet while detached.

One of the luxuries I enjoy in retirement is simply calling a plumber for stuff like this. I really, really, hate plumbing stuff.

Before you call the plumber, double check those end caps as previously mentioned. If you have a very small flat-head screwdriver, you may have to insert it inside one of the caps and gently pry it off. That will then reveal the set screw.
There may also be a minuscule hole in the vertical stem, where you'd use a small hexhead doohickey to remove the set screw.
Failing that, yeah life is too short - call the plumber.

Handle might unscrew to give access to additional fasteners.

As someone who fixes many faucet leaks, I generally replace the entire faucet. It's faster and 100% fixed.

A shower valve gets fixed.

This faucet has a leak. It probably needs a new washer. Problem is, I can't find a way to take it apart. No sign of thread or screw anywhere, and nothing gives when I just try to twist apart different sections. Any ideas which might be the connecting parts? No manufacturer or brand marks anywhere to look for instructions.

Take a look at this youtube video. It might be relevant to how your faucet is put together.

I agree with above image. I "think" I have seen those before and they screw apart just above the first "knuckle" on the upright section. Maybe wrap it in a couple washclothes and try counter rotating a pair of vice grips above and below that section ?

I just had a faucet adventure on Monday. May I also suggest the application of swearing, clr/wd40 and afterwards, some rum.

We have similar style Delta faucet and it uses a cartridge instead of washer. I couldn't get the thing to budge and I found many tips online suggesting to use white vinegar to break the corrosive bond between the parts. I used plastic bags to make a container and soaked the whole thing for an hour or so and it lifted right off after a few light taps with a hammer.

Well, I covered different parts with a towel and then used some pliers to see if they unscrewed. No, but I did put in a couple of nice scratches, despite the towel. If DW sees them I might be absent from the forum for a couple of days while I recover. :facepalm:

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm following all the links and videos - and reconsidering my aversion to calling a plumber.

On a related topic have you had the hoses for sinks (and toilets) converted to flexible hoses from the older metal ones. For toilets if you have to change the flush valve it makes the job far easier no need to loosen the tank bolts. The tube just stays out of the way until you screw it back on the new flush valve.

Perhaps take that photo (and others) and stop by your local plumbing supply store. They should have bazillions of sink top arraignments and could probably tell you exactly how to disassemble it (and have the correct replacement cartridge).

_B

Back
Top Bottom