Favorite/Best Live Album

These are some great live albums. And I agree with the statement that live albums usually do suffer in quality. Here's a few greats that I would add to the list:

Queen Live Killers
Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison
Leonard Cohen Live In London

One eight-track that I wore off the oxide back in the day was Grand Funk Live.

Wow, hadn't thought about live albums in a long time. Do today's artists even do live "albums" any more?

+1 on J. Geils "Blow Your Face Out"
+1 on "Stop Making Sense"
and add Dream Syndicate "Live at Raji's"...fantastic

MI0000420125.jpg

Not albums per se, but Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's ... are excellent live DVDs.

Stumbled over this performance on Palladia Channel and wow! It also introduced me to Tal Wilkenfeld. How can a person so darn young be so darn good at the bass?

Anyway, back to the original thread, I have to say some of my favorite live LPs include

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
Genesis - Three Sides Live
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

Stumbled over this performance on Palladia Channel and wow! It also introduced me to Tal Wilkenfeld. How can a person so darn young be so darn good at the bass?

Anyway, back to the original thread, I have to say some of my favorite live LPs include

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
Genesis - Three Sides Live
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus

Jeff Beck is a guitar god! And +1 on Tal Wilkenfeld!

Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Yes - Symphonic Live
Genesis - Seconds Out

I love the Roadwork album by Edgar Winter and White Trash. Edgar is great live, at least back in the 70's he was.
"We got something of a special surprise for you tonight. People keep asking me - where's your brother? Yeah - hey Johnny!"

(And the crowd goes wild!)

(Great introduction to Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo!)

A big +1 for Tom Waits "Nighthawks At The Diner" - my favorite Tom Waits album. I had the pleasure of seeing him onstage with The Stones in Oakland last year. We were wondering who the special guest would be that night, and seeing as Tom lives in the area, and he's a bluesy kind of guy, I turned to my friend as we were in line for really horrible overpriced food and said, "Wouldn't it be amazing if Tom Waits came onstage and sang Little Red Rooster with them?" - and that is exactly what happened. Talk about a good guess!

Another big +1 for Johnny Cash Live At Folsom Prison

These are some great live albums. And I agree with the statement that live albums usually do suffer in quality. Here's a few greats that I would add to the list:

Queen Live Killers
Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison
Leonard Cohen Live In London
Not sure about Leonard Cohen's Live In London album. I have it, but for some reason haven't listened to it. However, there is a fantastic live version of Hallelujah on the album "Cohen Live". It's a compilation of different live performances, and the version of Hallelujah was recorded at Austin City Limits in 1988. It beats the pants off the studio version.

Another vote for the Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East.

Easily the most-played album in my collection. And the most played CD. and tops on the playlist on my iPod/iPhone.

BB King, "Live in Cook County Jail." The live side of his "Live & Well" album was also great.

It's not live, so I really shouldn't be posting it here, but you haven't truly lived unless you've played Jimi Hendrix's "Ezy Ryder" at a volume setting of 11. (It's on the posthumously compiled album "Voodoo Soup".)

Cream Wheels of Fire. Live at the Fillmore.

Just listened to the late Alvin Lee tearing up "Choo Choo Mama" on Ten Years After - Recorded Live.

For Little Feat lovers, not an album, but a live concert, I was there a DC radio station broadcasted the show live. My friend recorded but ran out of tape before Feat was finished. Any how they closed with Willin, so to finish

https://archive.org/details/lf1976-05-10.flac16

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom