Favorite Candy as a Kid

Sweet Tarts at one point, but best association was Saturday nights with the family sharing the Sunday paper and a bowl of raisins, peanuts, and chocolate chips mixed together.

On Friday nights, Dad brought home potato chips and a big bar of Hershey's chocolate with almonds.

In the summers I spent 1/2 of my allowance on a red popsicle and then spent the other 1/2 a few days later on another red popsicle. That was 10 cents a week, no tax.

Nobody has mentioned Jawbreakers! Remember them? Huge spherical hard candies that change colors numerous times as you suck on them. They weren't available everywhere, but the museum sold them in their little shop and I used to get one when we went there. The anticipation and excitement at what the next color could be was the attraction, I suppose

Bonomo's Turkish Taffy
Good 'n Plenty

But the best of all...(drum roll, please...) White chocolate from Gardner's Candy store in Tyrone, PA! A rare and expensive treat. It was one of those original candy stores that sold nothing but candy. Evidently they did it right, their web page says they have 16 stores now.

Gardners Candies - Boxed Chocolates, Gift sets and more

Don't know if you guys remember this one but I really like Lick-a-maid, almost forgot about it.

Nothing says summer vacation like Lick-a-maid

Another fav - Crunchie bars -chocolate covered sponge toffee MMMMM

Black licorice twists.

heh heh heh - now - chocolate in various forms with semi sweet to dark the best. Herseys choc. syrup over chocolate ice cream. ;)

Something called a Peanut Butter Log, if I remember correctly. Other favorites were:

Zero Bars
Butterscotch hard candy (still love 'em)
Sweet n Sours
Pixie Sticks
M & M's (never go out of style)
Bazooka bubble gum (with the cartoons):cool:

100,000 bars
Mike and Ike's
Root beer sticks
Butterfinger
Almond Joy

Don't eat much candy today, custard once in awhile........:)

Slopokes (slow pokes sp?). But I also liked Bonomo's Turkish Taffy for which we got free coupons at the weekly Duncan Yo-Yo contests.

.... Hadji Bey's Turkish Delight, sadly no longer available .....

You can get the same kind of "Turkish Taffy" at the Old Time Candy Co. They call it French Chew Taffy. Ordered a case of the stuff in vanilla once.
And, yeah, frozen then smashed!

Rich

This thread brought back another pleasant childhood memory. Back in the 60's there was a variety store in our neighbourhood that gave away penny candy to gradeschool kids on the last day of school for every "A" you got on your report card. 5 "A"'s got you a popsicle (remember when they were a nickle).

The variety store is still there although I'm sure the owners have changed many times over. Everytime I drive by I get the warm fuzzies.

And yes, I got my fair share of "A"'s and candy.

Back
Top Bottom