Favorite Candy as a Kid

Necco wafers.
Life-Savers

Anyone else remember the "Book of Life Savers", a bunch of different flavored rolls in a carrying case? I haven't thought of those in a long time. I and my siblings used to get them for Christmas presents sometimes, and there were almost always chocolate coins in our stockings. <nostalgia>

Anyone else remember the "Book of Life Savers", a bunch of different flavored rolls in a carrying case? I haven't thought of those in a long time. I and my siblings used to get them for Christmas presents sometimes, and there were almost always chocolate coins in our stockings. <nostalgia>

Yes.

Probably why I have a mouth full of metal.

No offense to you Necco lovers..but ugh! That was one candy I could not get into!

If you made your sister eat the black ones and the white ones, the rest were pretty good. And you could pretend they were communion wafers, too. Once in a while they would sell all-chocolate packages.

Thanks for reminding me , We always played communion with Necco wafers .

Invention & Technology magazine profiled the NECCO company a few years back. Pretty interesting history. At the time, some of the wafer machines had been going for about 100 years. They re-tool each year to make the valentines hearts ( Sweethearts Conversation Hearts).

Necco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Necco Wafers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Necco Wafers are a candy wafer made by the United States-based company Necco, short for the New England Confectionery Company. Necco started making candy wafers in 1847 and introduced the "Necco Wafers" brand in 1912.

Necco rolls contain eight flavors and colors: lemon (yellow), orange (orange), lime (green), clove (purple), cinnamon (white), wintergreen (pink), licorice (black), and chocolate (brown). Entire rolls of chocolate wafers are also available in certain locations.

In the 1930’s, Admiral Byrd took 2½ tons of Necco Wafers to the South Pole, practically a pound a week for each of his men during their two-year stay in the Antarctic.[1]

The American Government requisitioned a major portion of the production of Necco Wafers during World War II. The candy does not melt and is practically indestructible during transit, making it ideal for shipping overseas to the troops.

Necco wafers are often used as stand-ins for communion wafers by children who are practicing for the Eucharist.
I kinda like them. BlackJack gum is a good nostalgia 'candy' for me.

-ERD50

...I kinda like them. BlackJack gum is a good nostalgia 'candy' for me.

-ERD50

And Teaberry and Beamans and Clove gum - give a stick of Clove gum and tear the end off with the C - dats what my honey used to do.

00354-DBX.jpg

Boston Baked Beans!

My personal favorites are tootsie rolls (old and stale), and brown cows.

One of the reasons I seem to be off center from society might be that we used to take a mouthful of Pop-Rocks, and then a big chug of coke, and see how long we could keep our mouths closed. Extra points were awarded if the resulting explosion exited via the nasal passages. :duh:

Back
Top Bottom