Favorite cartoon while growing up

I remember a religious cartoon that was on the Lutheran channel on Sunday, Davy and Goliath. Also some cartoon with a square jawed man--Chuck Connors look alike--and young boy?

Would that be Clutch Cargo with Spinner and his dog Paddle Foot?

I enjoyed most of the late 1960's cartoons that others have mentioned.

Also, the kids' variety shows of the day often played cartoons from my parents' era, which were mostly over my head (Betty Boop comes to mind...lots of innuendo). I would watch them dutifully, wondering when they would start to be funny.

I hated mouse cartoons, especially Mighty Mouse, that were always beating up on cats. I am always on the side of all cats. Sometimes those cartoons actually made me cry in frustration because I couldn't save the cats.

Amethyst

Tie: Bugs Bunny and the Flintstones

Those would be my two top favorites, too. Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, and Roadrunner are close behind. Many others posted here I also watched from time to time.

P.S. Magilla Gorilla helped me remember an unusual Scrabble word when I began playing in tourneys back in the 1990s. "OGEE" is a word and I remembered it from the Magilla Gorilla character.

P.P.S. The first investment axiom I ever learned came from a Flintstones episode. There was an episode where Fred pretends to be some high-class tycoon. When someone asks him how he made his money, he answers, "Buy low, sell high!"

P.S. Magilla Gorilla helped me remember an unusual Scrabble word when I began playing in tourneys back in the 1990s. "OGEE" is a word and I remembered it from the Magilla Gorilla character.

kdzw08x.jpg

I forgot about Johnny Quest. The original, not the later reboot. It was my absolute favorite.

Rocky & Bullwinkle (the whole show) and RoadRunner. I'd watch them today if they were still on.

I'd watch them today if they were still on.

I wonder what today's kids and their parents would think of something like the original Deputy Dawg. It would be almost as traumatic for them as watching the first season of All in the Family. Cognitive dissonance would probably occur.

Grew up watching the Wallace & Ladmo show (cartoons) in AZ.
Later they added Gerald who always cracked me up.
Anyone remember them?

Oh, yes, Clutch Cargo, Spinner and Paddlefoot! There was also Diver Dan.

Good old WGN in the 1960s had an incomparable group of kiddie show hosts, from Frazier Thomas to Ray Rayner and Bob "Bozo" Bell.

Reminds me of an afternoon show Rayner hosted, showing Dick Tracy cartoons. Remember those? Tracy had an array of sidekicks, including an obese cop named "Heap O'Calorie," Japanese detective Joe Jitsu and "Speedy Gonzalez" knockoff Go-Go Gomez.

I agree Mr. Graybeard. It was a good time and place to grow up. This thread got me remembering some of the "shorts" Frazier Thomas ran, like Hardrock, Coco, and Joe, Suzie Snowflake, and Journey to the Beginning of Time. Compared to the frantic pace of kid's shows today it was a slow, gentle show. I suppose every major city had such a show: here in MN they had their own beloved version, still fondly remembered.

Bugs Bunny, Rocky and Bullwinkle & Co, and how can no one have said . . . Road Runner!
Also Johnny Quest.

Grew up watching the Wallace & Ladmo show (cartoons) in AZ.
Later they added Gerald who always cracked me up.
Anyone remember them?

Yep. I was in upper high school & college when they were big so I paid a bit less attention than my much younger sister, who was quite a fan. Guess I need to ask her if she ever got the coveted "Ladmo Bag". :)

I also remember when they performed at an ASU half-time. Probably '71 or '72.

Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. At the Fairlawn Theatre in Pawtucket... circa 1940 as I recall...Neighbor Gracie Allen took me there on Saturday afternoons, when the admission price for the double feature was $.11...
The "extras" between the feature movies, in addition to the cartoon, were:
Flash Gordon or Tom Mix or Tarzan,
and always Pathe News.
and... thru the war years, "shorts" to buy bonds, save fat, and support the "boys, over there".

... and the favorite song? "Johnny got a Zero".

Pink Panther.

But when I saw an episode recently (for the first time in decades), it was awful. How did I like it when I was a kid??

For some reason I don't remember cartoons. I did watch "Scooby Doo where are you", at least I remember it. When we were little we were outside from the time we got up. We had "chores". I can always remember making my bed, not the best but it was made. Even when little, went fishing, crawled through the maze in the bales of hay in the barn, built forts, crafty stuff-painting, built bird houses, ahhhhh winter time we ice skated on the pond. My dad would play old waltz records from his dad over a loud speaker while we were skating. We swam in that pond in the summer. I'm not too old but we were always encouraged to be outside and "doing something" rather than sit inside.

Back
Top Bottom