Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My latest favorite freebie is Sumatra PDF viewer. Less bulk than the bloated Adobe.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

CutePDF Writer on Windows adds a pseudo printer for creating PDF files from any program that can print to a normal printer.

I think this functionality is now just natively part of the Ubuntu distro.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
CutePDF Writer on Windows adds a pseudo printer for creating PDF files from any program that can print to a normal printer.

I use a free program called doPDF which does something similar. Use it frequently.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post

Print-to-PDF has been native to both Ubuntu and Mac OS for many years, so long I cant even remember when.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Not familiar with "Anything". When I Google it all that comes up is "Everything" Anyone have a link to it and an explanation of what it does?
+1
Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

A favorite program I used over the past couple of days is AnyDesk for remote control of my PC. I sometimes use my pc remotely via my laptop.

Imitation is flattery, as the saying goes, as former Teamviewer employees created AnyDesk. I've raved of Teamviewer in the past, but when getting flustered the other day with their added security (not properly adding a recognized device), I looked to see what else is out there and tried out AnyDesk.

I did manage to get Teamviewer working again by added 2FA (them adding more security was in part do to them getting hacked -- or their users lax with passwords--last year). But now, I'm being unfaithful as now consider AnyDesk my number one for remote access.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

First time back in a while...
Reading it through I wanna correct my suggestion of "Anything"....
That was wrong... The program is
"Everything"
and, without a doubt one of my most important, most used, and most appreciated freebies.
It searches every file on your computer, and provides a list which can be customized according to the columns... It scans my 500K files in seconds.
File name, extension, size, and place in the hierarchical structure.

With frequent memory lapses, any clue, such as a name, type of file or even date... the program lets me locate what I am looking for. IMHO indespensible.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #28

A few that I use that I didn't see mentioned yet:

iExplorer - for browsing contents of your iPhone, getting access to individual files, etc.

WinDirStat - for managing space on your computer's hard drives, using a very detailed but intuitive graphical interface that shows the biggest space hogs

FreeFileSync - keeps files in sync between different computers (without using cloud services like Dropbox)

VeraCrypt and AxCrypt - two excellent encryption programs; AxCrypt is best for individual files, VeraCrypt for whole disks or disk volumes

Sublime Text - great little text/code editor that does syntax highlighting and auto-indenting

EaseUS Partition Manager - for managing Windows disk partitions

Vuze - good, basic, easy-to-use torrent client

Google Photos - terrific app for keeping all photos automatically backed up across your computer and mobile devices
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
A few that I use that I didn't see mentioned yet:

FreeFileSync - keeps files in sync between different computers (without using cloud services like Dropbox)

VeraCrypt and AxCrypt - two excellent encryption programs; AxCrypt is best for individual files, VeraCrypt for whole disks or disk volumes

I also use both FreeFileSync and VeraCrpyt and am a big fan of.

FreeFileSync is my other safety net besides regular backups in case my data gets messed up.

I've recently stored my important data using encrypted VeraCrypt containers. Had been encrypting folder by folder. VeraCryrpt saves time that way and I won't forget the folders that fall through the cracks. Good to know, if my data gets hacked, at least they are in a safe container.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Nomorobo, which blocks most but not all of those annoying robocallers to your landline phone.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I suppose I could research this myself, but do you need a client on both ends? I was looking for something simple that would save from a Win7 machine to a 4 TB NAS that has an SMB (Windows share).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I suppose I could research this myself, but do you need a client on both ends? I was looking for something simple that would save from a Win7 machine to a 4 TB NAS that has an SMB (Windows share).
No you don't. Just install FFS on the Win7 machine and set up a rule that will copy the file from its source directory to a location on your NAS. FFS has extensive configuration settings that will let you fine-tune how the synchronization should work.

Just keep in mind that if you setup a one-way sync from your Win7 box to the NAS, you will lose any changes you make to the copy of the file on the NAS.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Thunderbird
Chrome/Chromecast
Kodi/Exodus for free streaming
Various free viewers
CCleaner
Irfanview
OpenOffice
Calibre/Kindle/Kobo/Overdrive readers
Old 02-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Freebooksy. Scans Amazon.com for books that are "free" for that particular day. You can choose to receive titles in only the genres you like (s-f, mysteries, erotica etc.)

Granted, most of these books are terrible, but there are a few gems - authors who are just trying to get more eyes on their work. There are usually enough customer reviews to allow you to make an informed choice.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote