Favorite harmonica songs

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Time for another music thread...but please no Huey Lewis suggestions:)

I know there a few players here so maybe they will offer up some surprise picks.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/any-harmonica-players-here-34395.html

The idea came from hearing the harp break at 1:27 when this played over the store speakers the other day:
The Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running (official video) - YouTube

My favorite harmonica jam song:
Magic Dick w/LRBR - Whammer Jammer - The State Theatre - YouTube

I found this one looking for the links above. Been listening all evening...
VA-classic harmonica blues from smithsonian folkways - YouTube

The group War featured a great harmonica player, Lee Oskar, who had many featured solos. One of my favorites is in the song "Gypsy Man". Here is Lee performing the solo live:

Good one, Jollystomper. Until now I never realized the War lineup had a harmonica player. Listening to them on car radios, I had assumed horns.

This song would be forgettable without the harmonica hook. With it, it's recognizable by millions in just the first few bars:
Lopez Tonight - " Low Rider " - War - Live HD - YouTube

I was always kinda liked the mournful/wistful tone Neil gets on "My my, Hey hey" off Rust Never Sleeps.

But my favorite is a Yardbirds cover of "I'm a Man" off their "Live at the Anderson Theater" album in '68. By then the band were in the process of breaking up and reforming as Led Zeppelin, but the collision of old and new produced a strong harmonica vs. guitar duel between Keith Relf and Jimmy Page.

It is not a harmonica per se, but how about the harmonica sections of "Piano Man," by Billy Joel?

Springsteen Thunder Road

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom