Favorite healthy snack food

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So Ill confess. I used to be a chips and dip kinda guy. People would argue the dip part still.

Wow I found Edamame! I get the shelled kind. I put a bit of lime and salt/pepper or hot sauce with it. Boy is that a good snack about 120 calories per 1/4 cup. High in protein and all kinds of good stuff. So Im looking for more healthy snacks. Anyone have something they would like to share?

Newest Research On Why You Should Avoid Soy

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The propaganda that has created the soy sales miracle is all the more remarkable because, only a few decades ago, the soybean was considered unfit to eat - even in Asia. During the Chou Dynasty (1134-246 BC) the soybean was designated one of the five sacred grains, along with barley, wheat, millet and rice.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However, the pictograph for the soybean, which dates from earlier times, indicates that it was not first used as a food; for whereas the pictographs for the other four grains show the seed and stem structure of the plant, the pictograph for the soybean emphasizes the root structure. Agricultural literature of the period speaks frequently of the soybean and its use in crop rotation. Apparently the soy plant was initially used as a method of fixing nitrogen.[/FONT]

The soybean did not serve as a food until the discovery of fermentation techniques, some time during the Chou Dynasty. The first soy foods were fermented products like tempeh, natto, miso and soy sauce.

This article may or may not be accurate but I became cautious of Soy products after reading it... and a little research.

Guinness. Fewer calories than sugared soda pop or fruit juice. Delicious. Promotes longevity. Terrific on tap or out of a bottle or can with no need for additives like salt, lime or hot sauce. Aids regularity. Prevents sunburn if consumed inside a pub. Relaxing. Can be used to wash down other healthy snacks such as fish and chips. Will be extremely popular this weekend right through Tuesday, March 17th.

Sometimes I manage to snack on raw spinach leaves (not often enough). Sometimes raw mushrooms. Often raw steak, very lean and sliced thin. All are pretty healthy (bacteria excepted).

Of course I have plenty of Guinness / red wine days too.

Guinness and raw spinach leaves sounds good to me! I have both in the fridge right now. Excuse me, I'll go try that combo and report back.

Guinness as a marinade for raw steak might work too.......

I eat edamame, too. I found it recently in Japanese restaurants served in small quantities as an appetizer. I buy it frozen and toss a few in when steaming veggies.

Apples, bananas.

Non-salted almonds are great for stopping the "hungries".

Cheese flavored rice cakes, regular size and minis.
Seedless grapes
Apples or bananas or celery with a little PB
Chewy granola bars (90 cal size)

South Beach Protein bars - 200 cal 19 grams of protien

Apple and banana every day. I've lost 16 lbs. since Nov. by (among other changes in diet) switching to these snacks instead of a handfull of nuts.

beef jerky

I suppose if you can look past all the salt and sodium nitrates, you might be onto something........

When I want jerky, I get venison jerky from a buddy of mine and put Louisiana Hot Sauce on it.........:LOL:

I put peanut butter on celery -- relatively healthy.

I put peanut butter on celery -- relatively healthy.
Try it also on sliced apples and definitely bananas. A little goes a long way. :)

For all - this site is really cool - graphical representations of components is visually easier than the text only package labels. Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Peanut butter, smooth style, without salt
The data source is claimed to be USDA SR-21 (whatever that is). Footnotes at bottom of page will provide the basis for percentages etc.

Times past - trail mix and bottled water junkie. The brands varied.

heh heh heh - :D

Grapes. Red preferred.

Cranberries. Pecans. Broccoli spears.

I like dates, unsalted peanuts, and these things I get at Trader Joe's:

Attachments

• package-snapea-original.jpg
    package-snapea-original.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom