Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

"Let's give the assignment to John since its unreasonable to do it in this length of time and he is our "GO TO" guy........"
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In your spare time............. (do the following annoying and time consuming task for which you will not be rewarded at appraisal time)
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to hate it when project managers used the term "opportunities" when identifying unrealistic technical expectations.
diehard1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An acronym that I enjoyed, when the company was 'downsizing' was FOCUS*

*(F*** Off 'Cause U'r Surplus)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #85

We must always be positive, so we use plus/delta instead of plus/minus.
We don't have manpower or personnel, we have OC (organizational capability).
In the previous megacorp, workers weren't laid off, they were "redeployed" (de-employed more like it).

I attended two days of internal technical meetings a couple years ago and felt bombarded by acronyms, so I decided to write them down and count them. In two days I heard 120 unexplained acronyms!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

are we in lock-step?
exceed requirements
not our first rodeo
repeatable

off topic - remember when business meetings always had coffee and donuts? I think that went out of style when business casual dress came in.
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
off topic - remember when business meetings always had coffee and donuts? I think that went out of style when business casual dress came in.
I have to go there for a moment. Remember when lunch meetings didn't happen, or if they did something was provided. That stopped a few years before RE, except for a privlaged few. After about a year I got ticked off, started bringing my own(good smelling sandwiches). Explained this is my lunch, I have low blood sugar need to eat. Funny there suddenly was money in the budget for meals.

Now back to sayings, pigs are committed, chickens are interested.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you remember "don't go there"? The one I'm hearing a lot is "blow back" as in "response or feedback." Why can't you say response or feedback?
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #89

I've enjoyed reading all of these and agree with most of them. As a still employed VP at megac*rp I find myself guilty of using many of these expressions.

I have met the enemy and he is me.

Go forward now. I must utilize my organizational capacity in an out of the box manner to accomplish some opportunities before the threat of being rightsized occurs if we don't all get on board and aligned with the new go live date.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #90
Administrator

So, all these posts are low hanging fruit, like throwing our former colleagues under the bus. A thread like this can be very synergistic, and if we all just think out of the box it could be a real paradigm shift. We all could be more proactive on this, try to get more bandwidth. I think we need to get our ducks in a row and come up with a list of new best practices. We are all empowered here; someone has to do the heavy lifting so we can move the needle. Try multi-tasking so we can get back in the game. These things are actionable, you just need to wrap your head around it. Laser focus, not pulse check, it what we need to take it to the next level. A totally holistic approach will let us move forward. Folks need to engage and get in lock-step. No blow-back please, let’s not go there. So, if you don’t have a hard stop lets touch base.

Like, it is what it is, you know.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

MichaelB, I love it when you talk dirty.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, all these posts are low hanging fruit, like throwing our former colleagues under the bus. A thread like this can be very synergistic, and if we all just think out of the box it could be a real paradigm shift. We all could be more proactive on this, try to get more bandwidth. I think we need to get our ducks in a row and come up with a list of new best practices. We are all empowered here; someone has to do the heavy lifting so we can move the needle. Try multi-tasking so we can get back in the game. These things are actionable, you just need to wrap your head around it. Laser focus, not pulse check, it what we need to take it to the next level. A totally holistic approach will let us move forward. Folks need to engage and get in lock-step. No blow-back please, let’s not go there. So, if you don’t have a hard stop lets touch base.

You sir, need to go back to w*rk. Clearly executive material and a shame to waste such talents with mere retirement.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Blow-back is simply feedback you didn't want.

"Don't ask the question if you aren't going to like the answer," one of my worst boss's favorites. He also rated people on "whether they could get the 300-pound lady with a broken leg down the mountain," which apparently he didn't think I was capable of doing. He said it was a skiing analogy. I don't ski.

Another boss, on hearing that I didn't have a smart phone, commented, "Sad." I asked him why it was sad and he explained that it sounded like I didn't have anyone to keep in touch with.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Do you remember "don't go there"? The one I'm hearing a lot is "blow back" as in "response or feedback." Why can't you say response or feedback?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I think MichaelB has some good ideas... let's table this for now and circle back next time. Anyone mind if we put a pin in it?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #95

Quote:

MichaelB, if you ever decide to run for office, you got my vote!
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Just as long as everybody but MichaelB takes a step backward and pins the rose on MichaelB, thus making him the stuckee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
Anyone mind if we put a pin in it?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #97
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
Anyone mind if we put a pin in it?
I've never heard that expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
You sir, need to go back to w*rk.
No need to be rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Just as long as everybody but MichaelB takes a step backward and pins the rose on MichaelB, thus making him the stuckee.
Being the stuckee was one of the reasons I quit working in the first place.

A master at work here
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

So, so glad you started with so. That makes everything you said just so.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #99

My company - actually just this one office which used to be its own firm - has it's own jargon but they expect everyone to magically know it. One example is "OBE." The first time I read that in an email I copied a list of a dozen possible explanations from Wikipedia , including "Order of the British Empire," "Ottawa Board of Education," and "out-of-body experience," and politely asked which was the correct interpretation. The correct answer was "overcome by events." Of course, I then had to ask what the he|| that meant.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #100

Quote:

WTF, not a single acronym? Can you redo this post with at least 20 acronyms? LOL.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote