favorite / least favorites buzzwords from work

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What are some of you favorite (or least favorite) buzzwords from work? Off the top of my head, here's some of mine:

24/7
Push the envelope
Low hanging fruit
Let's take this off-line

When I was just hired, someone came up to me and said "hey, come over this weekend. I'll grill, we can have some beers and watch the ball game". Well, sir, what do you think I did?

The next week we were in a meeting led by another guy who was quite satisfied with himself and his upward mobility. Someone said something, he pushed himself back in his chair, and said:

"Let's just double-click on that!"

I looked to my right and my guy looked back. We just rolled our eyes.

Put more resources on that.

I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem
FYI
CYA
CYA file

In another forum, I mentioned my dislike of "go-to" used instead of "favorite."

If it sounds like baby talk, it should not be coming out of adults' mouths.

On the other hand - I got a chuckle out of "Some people filed hurt-feelings reports."

Amethyst

Shrimps
Who DAT
YAT
Geet (did you eat yet)

heh heh heh - posting near lunch time. :dance: Rosedale BBQ or Louisiana Kitchen. :D

Think out of the box.
Do more with less.

YES! It always struck me as funny that people wanting to solicit new and original ideas would use such a dull, uninspired, inside the box term!

Back in the 90's I remember these floating around a lot, which I always hated:

Kanban
Synergy
Leverage

In the 2000's it was "paradigm" or "paradigm shift". That got old.

I can't think of anything currently floating around my workplace that annoys me. Although, the place is growing fast so I'm sure as we get more corporate, more buzzwords will be forthcoming.

I guess it'll be a paradigm shift. Yep...I'm bringin it back!

I always chuckle a bit when I hear "Think outside the box". I'd use that term when the cat would miss the litter box. As in "Oh crap, the cat's thinking outside the box again!"

For some reason the phrase "Just Sayin'" bugs me. Umm, yeah, you just did!

We used to have a guy at work who would often repeat himself, for emphasis, to make himself sound important. Whenever he'd do that, I would say "Yep, you can say that again!"

Me, too. In fact, one should never miss a chance to bring cats into the conversation. Derails all pompousness immediately.

A.

I always chuckle a bit when I hear "Think outside the box". I'd use that term when the cat would miss the litter box.

This is more of a syntax issue than a buzzword, but it annoys me when I hear people starting out a sentence with "So....." almost as of they were telling a story.

"So.....I just got my car detailed."
"So.....how is your new job?"
"So.....I hear your house sold."
"So.....what are you doing this week-end?"

So....what is with that? I find it annoying.

This is more of a syntax issue than a buzzword, but it annoys me when I hear people starting out a sentence with "So....." almost as of they were telling a story.

"So.....I just got my car detailed."
"So.....how is your new job?"
"So.....I hear your house sold."
"So.....what are you doing this week-end?"

So....what is with that? I find it annoying.
Me too. You already said what I had come to this thread to post about. As you say, it's not a buzzword - more of a syntax/grammatical issue.

It irks me a bit when my FB friends begin their status updates with something along the lines of, "So I was (fill in blanks)......."

That probably immediately identifies me as a prime student for the grumpy old man class :LOL:

I teach public speaking. My students lose points when they start the speech with "so." As I tell them, you start a speech intentionally, with planned words. Starting it with "so" sounds like neither.

Me too. You already said what I had come to this thread to post about. As you say, it's not a buzzword - more of a syntax/grammatical issue.

It irks me a bit when my FB friends begin their status updates with something along the lines of, "So I was (fill in blanks)......."

That probably immediately identifies me as a prime student for the grumpy old man class :LOL:

When people start a sentence with a drawn out "So..." I generally think it is just their way of interrupting the speaker and also giving themselves a second or two to formulate their words. Not the most professional way to communicate. Sort of like saying multiple "You know"'s during their talk.

Agreed, Keim and David. The use of the word "so" at the beginning of a sentence is unnecessary. In all the examples I can think of, all you have to do is remove that one word and the rest of the sentence still stands, with no change in meaning whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom