Favorite male and female singer's voices

Karen Carpenter. So clear, so natural.
Katy Perry. So clear, so natural, so loud, so good on some songs like "Fireworks".
Streisand.
Fiona Apple.

James Taylor on his early songs.

Many more..............

James Taylor on his early songs.

Many more..............

I'm surprised that this is the first mention of James Taylor. He has a great sounding and identifiable voice. But i guess he's not a great singer in a technical sense, I don't recall any long held, or high notes or anything like that - but he sure does what he does, and does it well! He's on one track (with Allison Krause) of the fairly recent "Appalachian Journey" from Yo-Yo Ma.

-ERD50

Chuck Berry and Linda Ronstadt but many others come to mind if I think too long.

heh heh heh - :cool:

However currently listening more to ol' Willie Nelson and Iris Dement

Last edited:
At one time Sade Adu was a favorite. Many Do I like only for certain songs. Often they sing in a language I do not understand or only a few words. Mirielle Mathieu a French singer, Pavarotti, Brightman, Tony Bennet espcially when singing Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

A recent discovery is Diego El Cigala, his stage name, Spanish born, started off as Flamenco singer then branched out.

A one hour sample, along with several musicians, truly masters of their instruments. I only understand a few words, yet the performance is entrancing.

DIEGO CIGALA TANGO LIVE IN REX by fawziking - YouTube

Tony Bennett is also a favorite of mine. Below is an early recording of "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", played to a fast Tango tempo.

Bennett is still alive. He served as an infantry soldier in WWII and saw much combat in Europe. I just learned that he is also an accomplished painter.

Male - In the "voice as an instrument" category, I would have to choose Bobby McFerrin. Love or hate his music, his voice is amazing.

Female - So many choices, so (today) I pick Karen Carpenter - a near flawless voice. I did see Carpenters in concert and their work was stunning.

I hasten to point out that with today's technology, a half decent voice can be "corrected" to near perfection. Live - not so much. YMMV

Vicente Fernandez

Female--Karen Carpenter

Last edited:
Roy Orbison (the voice) - and for sheer contrast, Traveling Wilburys. Its like Jessie Owens passing the baton to one of the Pawn Stars.

Female - Jackie Evancho for most potential.

Tom Waits, Norah Jones. It's not at all about tonal quality, unless it is.

Right, it just depends on what you are looking for. I think Tom Waits has done some great stuff (I saw him once in a small club when he was just 'up and coming'). But he won't get many votes for 'tonal quality'. ;)

Roy Orbison (the voice) - and for sheer contrast, Traveling Wilburys. Its like Jessie Owens passing the baton to one of the Pawn Stars.

There you go - Roy O really had a great tonal quality, just an amazing 'sailing on air' voice.

-ERD50

Don Henley and Linda Ronstadt. Funny, he was in her backup band before he and Glenn Frey started the Eagles. And I saw someone mentioned Sheryl Crow - she sang back-up for Don Henley before she hit it big.

I'd have to go with:

Ann Wilson (Heart)

And another vote for Freddie Mercury

Can't name just one

Male: Frank, Dino, Perry Como - true crooners
Female: Rosemary Clooney, Whitney, Ella

One time I heard an interview with The Chairman. They asked about his singing style. He said, "My whole career has been learning to breathe like Tommy Dorsey".

I can believe that. One of his signatures was to hit a note, then drop down an octave and gliss up to where you want to be. Just like pulling in a trombone slide

Last edited:
I'd have to go with:

Ann Wilson (Heart)

And another vote for Freddie Mercury

Two great singers, Mercury and Wilson.
Check out Mercury singing opera, awesome stuff:

Last edited:
Ahem. And then there is the late George Jones and Patsy Cline.

heh heh heh - I love 'OPen Pit Mine.' ;)

Ahem. And then there is the late George Jones and Patsy Cline.

heh heh heh - I love 'OPen Pit Mine.' ;)

There were some great duets in country, including George and Tammy, Conway and Loretta, and Porter and Dolly.

Not so many in rock, though both Don Henley and Tom Petty did notable duets with Stevie Nicks.

China Forbes (Pink Martini), Nanci Griffith, Neko Case.

Gordon Lightfoot, Roger Miller, Van Morrison.

+1 on Keely Smith. I'd also add Peggy Lee

Today I'd include Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga.....and of course the hilarious Garfunkel and Oates. Here are two of their milder content songs.

"Worst Song Medley" by Garfunkel and Oates - YouTube

The next clip is mildly NSFW and has some profanity in it...

For the guys it's Lou Reed and David Bowie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom