Favorite male and female singer's voices

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What male and female singers do you think had/have the best voices? You don't have to necessarily like their songs, just their voices Two come to mind for me.

Male - Jim Reeves - not a big fan of his songs, but I think he had a very clear, strong, distinctive voice. "He'll Have To Go" was one of his most popular ones.

Female - Judith Durham (lead singer of the Seekers). Something about her voice I just love. Love her voice on "When The Stars begin To Fall"!

Last edited:
Neil Diamond and Nanci Griffith. Thank you very much.

For female, it's easy. Mariah Carey from the early 90's.

For male, it's not nearly as easy. Maybe Stevie Wonder or Elton John?

Can't pick a "favorite" with so many good choices...

Greg Lake of ELP comes to mind, Tom Jones, Tony Bennett. Throw in Judy Collins, Allison Krause, Diana Krall.

Here's one only Pink Floyd fans will know: Clare Torry, the voice behind "The Great Gig in the Sky".

And for some amazing vocal acrobatics, check out Edgar Winter's lead vocals on "Tobacco Road" from the White Trash "Roadwork" album.

Last edited:
IMHO I just like the sound of early Elton John's voice and Mariah Carey.

Of course, that great big voice of Elvis is in another category altogether.

If we also put 'performance' aside, and are talking just about the sound of the voice, I might add Willie Nelson for male singer. In many songs, he just sounds so personal and 'right there', very warm, and a little rasp to make it interesting. It's kind of mesmerizing. I've always loved Doc Watson's voice for the same qualities. BTW, that little rasp in those voices is something I use when trying to judge new audio equipment - I find it very 'revealing' in some ways, you want to hear something that sounds 'natural' to your ears.

But some of my favorite singers don't really have great tonal 'voices' (Joe Cocker, some of Rod Stewart's stuff, Bonnie Raitt, Janis).

Females with great tone - Judy Collins, Joni, Bonnie Koloc (not so well known, more of a local Chicago folkie in the 70's-80's - but you might remember her from this United commercial), Renee Fleming.

And HFWR's pick, both for performance and vocal sound quality, the remarkable, outstanding, phenomenal, heart-wrenching - Clare Torry in the GGITS/DSOTM track. We are not worthy!!!!

While I love Ella (steelyman's pick) on many levels, for me it's more about what she does with her voice, rather than the actual tonal quality of her voice.

All totally subjective of course, no right/wrong. But Neil Diamond? :confused: Really? :confused: :LOL: :LOL:

-ERD50

There are many singers I like, so it is impossible to narrow down to one male and one female. And there are some singers whom I like but only with a few songs, so perhaps I was in love with the songs instead.

But hey, do not make fun of Neil Diamond. I particularly like his rendition of "The Windmills of Your Mind".

For male Adam Duritz of Counting Crows.
For female Sherly Crow.

Why because I can sing along with them. all the greats I can't get to the same octave with.

But hey, do not make fun of Neil Diamond. I particularly like his rendition of "The Windmills of Your Mind".

Just poking a little fun, mostly at myself. I love the scene from "School of Rock", where the teacher (Jack Black) asks the high school kids "Who is your favorite performer?", and a kid answers with the name of some rap singer. Jack Black shouts out "WRONG!". Cracks me up!

-ERD50

Sarah Brightman and Julio Iglesias come to mind.

I am picking two female voices: Ella, and Eva Cassidy.

Not much to add on Ella, she has the range, sweetness, techniques ...
Eva's voice is simple and powerful, and can feel that she sings from her heart.

Bonnie Raitt.

Barbara Streisand and Jay of Jay and the Americans

Male:

In no particular order:

“Classic” voices

Sinatra
Nat “King” Cole
Mario Lanza
Pavarotti
Ed Ames
Brook Benton

“Rock era” Voices

Steve Perry
Freddie Mercury

Ladies:

Connie Francis
Jane Olivor
Joan Sutherland
Monsterrat Caballe
Jo Stafford
Young Mariah Carey
Petula Clark

Frank Sinatra (really wanted to list J.D. Souther, but realistically couldn't do it).
Kelly Willis.

Jussi Bjorling, Luciano P., Ramón Vargas
Sherrill Milnes

I can't pick a female voice because there are so darn many good ones. Dawn Upshaw and Renée Fleming are delightful, but Caballe and Callas are like fingernails on a blackboard for me.

I enjoy a lot of jazz and a few pop/rock singers, but I don't think of their voices as that appealing. OTOH, Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Springsteen have given me a lot of pleasure over the years even if they are pretty hoarse. Sirius' "E Street Radio" occupies pre-set #1 on my car radio.

Dawn Upshaw and Renée Fleming are delightful, but Caballe and Callas are like fingernails on a blackboard for me.[/QUOTE]

I can say the same for a few names that were listed on this "subjective" thread.

Back
Top Bottom