Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

In Office Space, besides the "I'm going to need you to...." that Peter's boss prefaces everything with, this is my favorite quote, which epitomizes corporate busywork to me:

Quote:
Dom Portwood: Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. And the problem is just that I forgot the one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
Dom Portwood: Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
and then the number of bosses Peter has:

Quote:
Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
Bob Slydell: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I watched 'Office Space' based on the recommendations of this thread. It was cute, but had some problems here and there with verisimilitude. I won't describe my objections further to avoid spoiling the viewing for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. The movie reminded me how difficult it is to be in a supervisory/managerial position and be liked/admired/appreciated by subordinates.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I watched 'Office Space' based on the recommendations of this thread. It was cute, but had some problems here and there with verisimilitude. I won't describe my objections further to avoid spoiling the viewing for anyone who hasn't yet seen it. The movie reminded me how difficult it is to be in a supervisory/managerial position and be liked/admired/appreciated by subordinates.
Of course, if it had to deal with verisimilitude, it wouldn't be as funny .
Think of it as a great work of art with deeper messages about society and our place in the universe.

Free
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"There was no problem with my name. Then that no-talent assclown got famous and started winning Grammy's..."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #45

Of all the movies listed, I have seen trading spaces, wall street, risky business and pretty woman. Also seen portions of 9 to 5, but not the whole thing.

In HS economics class we watched Tucker. That was an OK movie.
In college we watched Roger and Me like it was a cult classic (I went to college in Flint, MI where it was filmed).
Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I forgot, "Christmas Carol" where the employee wanted Christmas day off.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
"There was no problem with my name. Then that no-talent assclown got famous and started winning Grammy's..."

It looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 AM   #48

I watched Glengarry Glen Ross based on the recommendation in this thread. Great acting and good dialogue. Highly recommended!

Glengarry Glen Ross Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Thanks for the tip!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Well - its not a movie but I do learn some business/management strategies from the Sopranos and Trump's Apprentice. At some point I also want to try out the management style Gordon Ramsey uses on that Hell's Kitchen chef show.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
Well - its not a movie but I do learn some business/management strategies from the Sopranos and Trump's Apprentice. At some point I also want to try out the management style Gordon Ramsey uses on that Hell's Kitchen chef show.
I'm on season three of "The Sopranos." When I saw this thread this morning, I thought of it and all the other mob movies. One of the featurettes on the DVD had the actors, writers, etc. talking about how mafia movies are now a separate American genre like westerns, just like westerns, and uniquely American.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #51

Is Mr. Mom a business movie?
Layoff dynamics. The job search. Sucking up to your spouses boss.
Intimidation?

"220, 221 whatever it takes"

Free
Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

How about Lost in America? It's about a couple of people feed up with their jobs who retire early. Things, however, just don't go as planned!

Here's the trailer. It came out in 1985 and stars Al Brooks.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

My favorite business movie would likely not usually be considered a movie about business. It's Barcelona,#2 in Whit Stillman's trilogy of Metroplolitan, Barcelona and Last Days of Disco.

Probably Stilman would not be everyone's cup of tea, but I laugh my head off whenever I watch this, and I have watched it about 5 times.

Highlights include earnest references to Dr. Norman Vincent Peale and Peter Drucker.

Ha
Old 01-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
How about Lost in America? It's about a couple of people feed up with their jobs who retire early. Things, however, just don't go as planned!

Here's the trailer. It came out in 1985 and stars Al Brooks.

Yes very good.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

I’ll have to put “Lost in America” on my list. I loved Julie Hagerty as Faye in “What About Bob” which also works as a work movie: how to get rid of the client/patient from hell. Things also didn't go as planned.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I’ll have to put “Lost in America” on my list. I loved Julie Hagerty as Faye in “What About Bob” which also works as a work movie: how to get rid of the client/patient from hell. Things also didn't go as planned.
Glad you and Khan like this movie too. Lost in America is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen and would highly recommend it to those who haven't seen it. Even so, I have to say I agree with the OP regarding Glengarry Glen Ross. Everyone was wonderful in it, particularly Jack Lemmon. I'm a big fan of Jack's and think this might have been his finest work. His portrail of Shelley Levine was simply amazing.

Here's one quote that always comes to my mind when thinking of Glengarry Glen Ross:

Blake: We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?
[Holds up prize]
Blake: Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.