Favorite movie about Business

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
There have been some great movies made about business or sales during the past 50 years, but when it comes to nailing the best it's not Death of a Salesman that comes to my mind, but Glengarry Glen Ross.

I guess that I have seen this masterpiece about 20 times and each time that I view it I like it a little more. It may have one of the best cast ever assembled for a movie: Al Pachino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, & Kevin Spacey. The "F-word" is used over 100 times and the "S-word" is given equal treatment, so it's not a movie for the timid. In fact, the actors supposedly called the movie "Death of a f**king Salesman" when they were making it.:eek:

A few of my favorite lines from Baldwin's character:

Blake: These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you would be throwing them away. They're for closers.
~~~
Blake: Your name is "you're wanting", and you can't play the man's game, you can't close them, and then tell your wife your troubles. 'Cause only one thing counts in this world: get them to sign on the line which is dotted.
~~~
Blake: A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing.

What's your favorite business related flick?

"The Godfather Trilogy" or on a similar theme, "Once Upon a Time in America," the long version.

Wall Street. Just the right amount of nastiness. >:D

A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing.

alec-baldwin-glengarry-glen-ross.jpg

Goodfellas....

"Whenever we needed money, we'd rob the airport. To us, it was better than Citibank."

Last edited:
Damned if I cant remember the name. About the kid who works in a boiler room selling stocks. His old man is a judge. Really liked that movie. Having an old persons moment though. :(

Trading Places...Jamie Lee post-enhancement and great lines like:

"Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the absolute carnage you are about to witness. Super Bowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?" - Louis Winthorpe III

Attachments

• tradingplaces.jpg
    tradingplaces.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 4
Office Space... Have you, have you seen my stapler? Mai Tai with NO Salt on the rim. I said NO SALT!

Working girl.

Cast included Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, Alec Baldwin and Joan Cusack.

Cyn: Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will.

Working girl.

Cast included Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, Alec Baldwin and Joan Cusack.

Cyn: Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will.

No, it makes her Tom Cruise in Risky Business :2funny::2funny:

Office Space... Have you, have you seen my stapler? Mai Tai with NO Salt on the rim. I said NO SALT!

Good old Milton.

Office Space is my favorite "working" movie. It captures the true essense of cubicle life.

Favorite business movie is Wall Street.
"Lunch is for wimps".

Free

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"

A fair tale and, with the exception of a happy ending, just like the business world.

They have glass coffins at your workplace? Oh, never mind. The whole place is a glass coffin.

Thankfully, I can't identify with Glengarry Glen Ross, but Office Space is SPOT ON! Much more fun to watch, too. All personal taste, I guess.

This is a slim category. I remember a Christmas party a few years back when my brothers and his co-workers - all salesmen - were trying to think of "sales" movies. Glengarry Glen Ross was the first on everyone's list. Tin Men was another (Danny DeVito sold house siding).

Besides Glengarry, another favorite David Mamet-written movie that has some business themes is The Spanish Prisoner. Highly recommended. It's a suspense flick where the protagonist has a brilliant business idea and wants a bonus for his work. He gets caught up in some mystery when the boss seems to be setting him up to get nothing. Like Glengarry, it has great dialogue:

George: Worry is like interest paid in advance on a debt that never comes due.
George: We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money.
George: Beware of all enterprises which require new clothes.
Jimmy: Always do business as if the person you're doing business with is trying to screw you, because he probably is. And if he's not, you can be pleasantly surprised.

There are quite a few romantic comedies set in the business world. Bridget Jones' Diary and Jerry Maguire were two good ones. (No, I don't have a crush on Renee Zellweger...)

Come on! Nobody put 'Boiler Room' in the mix. Great low profile movie.

The movie should be a damn collectible because I believe it is the only movie Ben Affleck has done where he doesn't completely SUCK.

Back
Top Bottom