Favorite movies and/or t.v. series

Animal House, Good Bad Ugly, The Hustler, Monty Python Holy Grail, Shawshank Redemption

Firefly, Wonder Years, Twilight Zone, Freaks and Geeks

TV Series:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development

Movies:
Shawshank Redemption
We Were Soldiers
Saving Private Ryan
Cool Hand Luke
Gran Torino
Alien & Aliens

My guilty pleasures of series past were "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and it's spinoff, "Angel". Currently, I can't get enough of watching episodes of "Criminal Minds."

My guilty pleasures of series past were "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
I used to LOVE "Buffy", and I'd vainly attempt to tell non-watchers about the humor and subtleties of the show while realizing they thought I was nuts.

great comedy movie: In-Laws with Alan Arkin and Peter Falk

a classic.

+1 Who could forget the Guacamole Act of 1917?

As a kid I watched every episode of the original Mission Impossible and Hawaii Five-O, as corny as they both were.

I used to LOVE "Buffy", and I'd vainly attempt to tell non-watchers about the humor and subtleties of the show while realizing they thought I was nuts.

Yeah..I'd tell folks I watched the show for the plot (and humor etc.), but there were those who knew exactly what I was talkin' about and those who said, 'Yeah, C'mon..right..with a show title like that?"

T V series.....The Pretender.....

He's one of my 'woof' guys.........;)

Attachments

• thumbnailCAU009UW.jpg
    thumbnailCAU009UW.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 151
Another vote for Breaking Bad on AMC. I don't watch a ton of television, but Breaking Bad is absolutely captivating. I've never missed an episode and never will.

For my money, Breaking Bad is the best show on TV, bar none. It's incredibly well done. Season 4 starts in July!

I forgot these cable series worth watching:
Californication and In Plain Sight.

Wallander was very good, but our very fave is 'Foyle's War"; get it on Netflix and watch from the beginning. I'm looking forward to starting over in a year or two. Same director did "Collision" as a Masterpiece Contemporary. Not in the same league as Foyle, but good.

I also enjoy almost anything on Masterpiece Theater. A few months ago I dropped everything to watch "Downton Abbey". I wish Helen Mirren would resurrect "Prime Suspect".
The last couple of years I was glued to "The Tudors"...many liberties taken with historical accuracy but that was okay with me because the actors were hot. Those fellows who played Henry and Charles Brandon...oh my!
Some movies I remember having liked over the years are: L.A. Confidential, Chinatown, Goodfellas, Thelma and Louise, Dangerous Liaisons, The Madness of King George, Little Miss Sunshine, Double Jeopardy, and the Shawshank Redemption (although I usually don't like prison movies, I've seen this one several times). Just the other evening I happened upon "The Motorcycle Diaries" and had to immediately read a bit on Che Guevara as my knowledge of his life is scant.
I agree with you Freebird on Master and Commander. It was so exciting! I also liked the Napoleonic war era naval series Horatio Hornblower (C.S. Forester).

You guys are great! Now I won't have to walk into the library movie section and wander aimlessly around!

I don't watch TV often, too much work. When I do watch TV, it's mainly MSNBC news, History Channel, or Spike TV.

My guilty pleasures of series past were "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and it's spinoff, "Angel". Currently, I can't get enough of watching episodes of "Criminal Minds."

+1 on both Buffy and Firefly (plus the movie ending Serenity).

One TV series I really enjoyed that I haven't seen listed here is "Dead Like Me". I think it was a Showtime or Cinemax series, but they showed it recently on AMC or SyFy. It's weird and wonderful. Stars Mandy Patinkin.

Oh yeah...NCIS.

We love many of these already mentioned. One series that was really wonderful was the A&E Horatio Hornblower series with Ioan Gruffudd as Hornblower. Everyone we have lent our DVDs to has loved it. Also, we liked Downton Abbey on Masterpiece Theater this year. Another fabulous Masterpiece Mystery series was Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren. Wow, was she great in that.

Right now we are starting to watch the rerun of Battlestar Gallactica on BBC America that just started. We heard it was good and it is.

OMG, how could I have forgotten to suggest a movie?
Yellowbeard if they have it. Just hilarious from the Monty Python folks.
Oh, and of course Idiocracy, another favorite.

JAG - A t.v. series about the Navy's judicial system. It ran for 10 years between 1995 and 2005. Not only is David James Elliott, the star of the job, a great looking guy and leading man, he is a teriffic actor as well. The stories were both timely and entertaining. The show presented the U.S. military in a good, positive light; and while some liberties were taken for entertainment value, the show received positive reviews and kudos from the 'real' military.

actually, for TV these days, I enjoy:

Burn Notice
White Collar
In Plain Sight

Shows are very well done.

Lost

It was almost impossible to follow week to week, so we stopped watching and waited until we could get an entire season. It was wonderful watching that way!

+1

Absolutely loved Lost. I watched the whole thing on Netflix streaming. I have no idea how people watched that show for five years. I would have gone crazy. Netflix was the way to go.

Entourage is also great.

If you're a sucker for sci-fi like I am I highly recommend Farscape and Battlestar Galactica (the Edward James Olmos reboot that ran earlier this decade). Both are fantastic.

We are now starting on Battlestar Galatica and we like it. I also absolutely loved Lost. I find myself thinking about various scenes and episodes from time to time. What a great show.

I became addicted to the 2nd season of JUSTIFIED. Went out and bought season 1. Absolutely amazing character development. Still love BREAKING BAD, but it's now in 2nd place for me.

Sherlock from BBC. It is thoughtfully written. A modern twist of a classic tale.

OMG, how could I have forgotten to suggest a movie?
Yellowbeard if they have it. Just hilarious from the Monty Python folks.
Oh, and of course Idiocracy, another favorite.

+1 on Yellowbeard. It's a lost classic. It just recently was released on DVD due to some idiotic legal battle with Graham Chapman's estate. I actually kept a VCR around way past the time I would have just so I could occasionally throw my crappy bootleg recording of Yellowbeard in.

Back
Top Bottom