Favorite movies and/or t.v. series

+1 on Yellowbeard. It's a lost classic. It just recently was released on DVD due to some idiotic legal battle with Graham Chapman's estate. I actually kept a VCR around way past the time I would have just so I could occasionally throw my crappy bootleg recording of Yellowbeard in.

Hey now, I've got an old VCR I keep around so I can play my crappy copy of Mondo Elvis. Maybe we should swap at FF? :dance:

The Big Bang Theory on CBS, Top Gear on BBC America, Mythbusters on Discovery, and for an old BBC series Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett. Yellowbeard is a great movie.

One of my all time favorites:

Zulu

Michael Caine's first starring role, I believe.

My husband loves Zulu so much that when our kids were little, they planned a surprise Zulu themed birthday party for him. Lol, they decorated a cake, made him a Zulu costume with spear, etc. and we rented the movie for the night. He was very surprised alright!

My husband loves Zulu so much that when our kids were little, they planned a surprise Zulu themed birthday party for him. Lol, they decorated a cake, made him a Zulu costume with spear, etc. and we rented the movie for the night. He was very surprised alright!
In 1983 my late wife and I visited South Africa, rented a camper, went up to Kruger Park, then later drove a day 'out of our way' in order to visit the actual locale of Rorke's Drift......the buildings are/were still standing and we were the only people around.

We don't have cable and can get all these from the library system, most are current shows: Breaking Bad, The Closer, Leverage, True Blood, Dexter, White Collar, Burn Notice, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights, The Wire, Hot In Cleveland, Monk, Psych, Weeds.
I've enjoyed most of these. I'll second The Sopranos and The Closer, and add Covert Affairs (CIA spy story).

+1

A few years ago we visited Caernarfon Castle and went in the miltary museum there. They have on display several of the VC's awarded during the battle of Rorke's Drift. Being a big fan of the movie, this was quite a thrill.
Visited there on an R&R from Saudi, also in 1983.....stayed across the river at The Gogarth Abbey Hotel, since demolished, it was once the home of Alice Liddell's (Alice In Wonderland) parents.

firefly was awesome. (now you have me humming "The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne..")

I super enjoyed the new HBO series "Game of Thrones"....actually HBO and Showtime have some of the best shows vs the regular network drivel.

I never knew about Alice Liddell. - thanks for the info :)
The hotel was such a rambling place, not along the lines of the Winchester House, (which my late wife visited, but I haven't yet had the opportunity), but rambling nonetheless; when we checked in, a young girl, around 10, whose mother managed the hotel, asked her mom if she could take us to our room..........she couldn't find it!

She went back to tell her mom, who came to where she'd left us via yet another, almost hidden, set of stairs..........possibly the/an/one inspiration for the stories?

Mad Men...looking forward to renting these and watching from the beginning of the series!

Haven't seen these mentioned yet:

Community. I hate broadcast TV sitcoms, haven't watched any in decades. This is different and funny. No laugh track, feels like a lot of it is improvised (it is), boldly goes where no sitcom has gone before. Very low rated but NBC keeps it on because it's one of the few things on TV that appeals to the smart, educated, nerdy demographic that has disposable income.

Nurse Jackie. Edie Falco, who played Carmela Soprano, is a good nurse and a bad person.

Archer. Animated spoof of 60s spy films and TV. Twisted, unexpected humor that is sometimes so over-the-top offensive it's funny.

Slings & Arrows. A minor Shakespeare company has as much drama and comedy off stage as on. Each of the show's three seasons follows production of a single play. The actor's problems mirror the play's theme. Three seasons of 6 episodes each. Third season was garbage, as if written by a different set of writers. From Canada.

Treme. Wonderful. Set in post Katrina New Orleans, the city's culture and music are evident in almost every scene. Currently on HBO in it's second season.

These have been mentioned:

The Wire - Best. TV. Drama. Series. Ever.

Mad Men - On my top five all-time drama series list.

Dexter - Unpredictable, fascinating and makes one root for a serial killer (who only kills other serial killers).

Justified - Not your typical crime drama, but nothing based on an Elmore Leonard story is.

Coupling - Some say Friends was based on this. They also say that Friends at it's best never got as good as Coupling at it's worst. I wouldn't know, I couldn't finish the one Friends episode I tried to watch.

Battlestar Galactica - Excellent. Some say the story lines are a metaphor for the post 9/11 world. Others say there are many subtexts and metaphors. It's like Twilight Zone in that one can just enjoy the story or ponder what it means about today's world. Recommended viewing sequence is the order in which they first appeared:
1. 2003 miniseries
2. Seasons 1 & 2
3. Webisodes: The Resistance. Ten 3 minute episodes. Not necessary to understand season 3. Only necessary to feed one's addiction.
4. Season 3
5. TV Movie: Razor. Sets up season 4.
6. Season 4.
7. Caprica: Prequel series that is best appreciated by watching last.

Big fan of Archer and picking up the easter eggs therein. Trailer Park Boys! Corner Gas!

Trailer Park Boys grew on me - Bubbles and his kitties, Mr. Lahey, the whole white trash scene.

On everyone's recommendation, I just bought the full series of Firefly for $8.50. I figure it's worth that much, don't you think?

We enjoy many of the British TV series. We will start out with the first few episodes and if we like them it is nice to have more of the same characters to look forward to. Some of them we found at the library and others from Netflix. Just a few are:

All Creatures Great and Small
Black Adder
Campion
Fawlty Towers
Foyles War
Hamish Macbeth
Hercule Poirot
Life on Mars
Monarch of the Glen
Red Dwarf
Rosemary and Thyme
The Vicar of Dibley

Cheers!

I'd highly recommend Babylon 5. I don't think there has been a better science fiction show ever put to television. Well, seasons 2-4, anyway.

Fraiser I think was pretty consistently funny and clever.

Columbo, of course, especially with Peter Falk passing away.

Police Squad! the six episode series that led to the Naked Gun movies.

Farscape. Another sci-fi series with similar elements to Firefly.

The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. The stories could be pretty awful, but I couldn't help but like the characters, especially since one of them was Bruce Campbell.

Another vote for Breaking Bad on AMC. I don't watch a ton of television, but Breaking Bad is absolutely captivating. I've never missed an episode and never will.

Another vote for FireFly a fun series and great introduction to Nathan Fillion who also is the lead on my Castle my favorite light TV series.

However, if you are looking for drama, AMC's Breaking Bad is not only the best of TV right now, IMO it is one of the top TV series ever right up there with Soprano's.

The new season starts in mid July, but you really want to start with season 1.

The Wire - Best. TV. Drama. Series. Ever.

Completely agree.

Aside from The Wire, I agree with everyone's take on Firefly. The only other series I've ever watched all the way through are Lost, Futurama, and all 17 seasons of Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis, Universe). Stargate wasn't groundbreaking, but DW and I enjoyed it.

However, if you are looking for drama, AMC's Breaking Bad is not only the best of TV right now, IMO it is one of the top TV series ever right up there with Soprano's.

The new season starts in mid July, but you really want to start with season 1.
Absolutely must start with season 1, IMHO. The plot is great, but how the characters change is the point of the series. Sez so right there in the title.

Wow. So many Firefly fans on a non-geek centric forum. I just reread the community guidelines, so I won't be posting a poll involving Inara, Kaylee, River, Saffron and Zoe. Though I will point out that Saffron was my first exposure to Christina Hendricks.

Back
Top Bottom