Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #61
gone traveling

firefly was awesome. (now you have me humming "The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne..")

I super enjoyed the new HBO series "Game of Thrones"....actually HBO and Showtime have some of the best shows vs the regular network drivel.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Visited there on an R&R from Saudi, also in 1983.....stayed across the river at The Gogarth Abbey Hotel, since demolished, it was once the home of Alice Liddell's (Alice In Wonderland) parents.
I never knew about Alice Liddell. - thanks for the info

I watched the latest Alice in Wonderland Movie recently on a plane trip and really enjoyed it.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I never knew about Alice Liddell. - thanks for the info
The hotel was such a rambling place, not along the lines of the Winchester House, (which my late wife visited, but I haven't yet had the opportunity), but rambling nonetheless; when we checked in, a young girl, around 10, whose mother managed the hotel, asked her mom if she could take us to our room..........she couldn't find it!

She went back to tell her mom, who came to where she'd left us via yet another, almost hidden, set of stairs..........possibly the/an/one inspiration for the stories?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #64

Mad Men...looking forward to renting these and watching from the beginning of the series!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Haven't seen these mentioned yet:

Community. I hate broadcast TV sitcoms, haven't watched any in decades. This is different and funny. No laugh track, feels like a lot of it is improvised (it is), boldly goes where no sitcom has gone before. Very low rated but NBC keeps it on because it's one of the few things on TV that appeals to the smart, educated, nerdy demographic that has disposable income.

Nurse Jackie. Edie Falco, who played Carmela Soprano, is a good nurse and a bad person.

Archer. Animated spoof of 60s spy films and TV. Twisted, unexpected humor that is sometimes so over-the-top offensive it's funny.

Slings & Arrows. A minor Shakespeare company has as much drama and comedy off stage as on. Each of the show's three seasons follows production of a single play. The actor's problems mirror the play's theme. Three seasons of 6 episodes each. Third season was garbage, as if written by a different set of writers. From Canada.

Treme. Wonderful. Set in post Katrina New Orleans, the city's culture and music are evident in almost every scene. Currently on HBO in it's second season.

These have been mentioned:

The Wire - Best. TV. Drama. Series. Ever.

Mad Men - On my top five all-time drama series list.

Dexter - Unpredictable, fascinating and makes one root for a serial killer (who only kills other serial killers).

Justified - Not your typical crime drama, but nothing based on an Elmore Leonard story is.

Coupling - Some say Friends was based on this. They also say that Friends at it's best never got as good as Coupling at it's worst. I wouldn't know, I couldn't finish the one Friends episode I tried to watch.

Battlestar Galactica - Excellent. Some say the story lines are a metaphor for the post 9/11 world. Others say there are many subtexts and metaphors. It's like Twilight Zone in that one can just enjoy the story or ponder what it means about today's world. Recommended viewing sequence is the order in which they first appeared:
1. 2003 miniseries
2. Seasons 1 & 2
3. Webisodes: The Resistance. Ten 3 minute episodes. Not necessary to understand season 3. Only necessary to feed one's addiction.
4. Season 3
5. TV Movie: Razor. Sets up season 4.
6. Season 4.
7. Caprica: Prequel series that is best appreciated by watching last.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Big fan of Archer and picking up the easter eggs therein. Trailer Park Boys! Corner Gas!

Trailer Park Boys grew on me - Bubbles and his kitties, Mr. Lahey, the whole white trash scene.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #67

On everyone's recommendation, I just bought the full series of Firefly for $8.50. I figure it's worth that much, don't you think?
Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #68

We enjoy many of the British TV series. We will start out with the first few episodes and if we like them it is nice to have more of the same characters to look forward to. Some of them we found at the library and others from Netflix. Just a few are:

All Creatures Great and Small
Black Adder
Campion
Fawlty Towers
Foyles War
Hamish Macbeth
Hercule Poirot
Life on Mars
Monarch of the Glen
Red Dwarf
Rosemary and Thyme
The Vicar of Dibley

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #69

I loved (and own) "Twin Peaks".
Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #70

I'd highly recommend Babylon 5. I don't think there has been a better science fiction show ever put to television. Well, seasons 2-4, anyway.

Fraiser I think was pretty consistently funny and clever.

Columbo, of course, especially with Peter Falk passing away.

Police Squad! the six episode series that led to the Naked Gun movies.

Farscape. Another sci-fi series with similar elements to Firefly.

The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr. The stories could be pretty awful, but I couldn't help but like the characters, especially since one of them was Bruce Campbell.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimday1982 View Post
Another vote for Breaking Bad on AMC. I don't watch a ton of television, but Breaking Bad is absolutely captivating. I've never missed an episode and never will.
Another vote for FireFly a fun series and great introduction to Nathan Fillion who also is the lead on my Castle my favorite light TV series.

However, if you are looking for drama, AMC's Breaking Bad is not only the best of TV right now, IMO it is one of the top TV series ever right up there with Soprano's.

The new season starts in mid July, but you really want to start with season 1.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
The Wire - Best. TV. Drama. Series. Ever.
Completely agree.

Aside from The Wire, I agree with everyone's take on Firefly. The only other series I've ever watched all the way through are Lost, Futurama, and all 17 seasons of Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis, Universe). Stargate wasn't groundbreaking, but DW and I enjoyed it.

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
However, if you are looking for drama, AMC's Breaking Bad is not only the best of TV right now, IMO it is one of the top TV series ever right up there with Soprano's.

The new season starts in mid July, but you really want to start with season 1.
Absolutely must start with season 1, IMHO. The plot is great, but how the characters change is the point of the series. Sez so right there in the title.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #74

Wow. So many Firefly fans on a non-geek centric forum. I just reread the community guidelines, so I won't be posting a poll involving Inara, Kaylee, River, Saffron and Zoe. Though I will point out that Saffron was my first exposure to Christina Hendricks.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue
Breaking Bad on AMC.
+1
Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I am out of TV for a while, but I watch MI5 at my woman friend's house. I seems pretty farfetched, but always exciting.

Ha
Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing
Wow. So many Firefly fans on a non-geek centric forum.
Seriously. I posted that thinking it'd be ignored, and was shocked at how many +1s it got. For how many fans there are, it's a shame it was cancelled. Stupid Fox setting it up to fail.

So if you're one of the people on this forum who hasn't seen it, go do so, now!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

I just started watching Firefly on netflix. I had never heard of it, but I am already hooked!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Seriously. I posted that thinking it'd be ignored, and was shocked at how many +1s it got. For how many fans there are, it's a shame it was cancelled. Stupid Fox setting it up to fail.

So if you're one of the people on this forum who hasn't seen it, go do so, now!
My library has it, but it already has two holds on it. Quite popular! Can't wait to check it out!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I just started watching Firefly on netflix. I had never heard of it, but I am already hooked!
I'd never heard of it either but with all these positive ratings, I checked to see if it was available on our On Demand (Comcast). No dice. But then I found that it is being rerun on the Science Channel. Pilot airs July 4th.