Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just got my OSTER blender from amazon for about $45 bucks and whipped something up real quick

about 6 oz soy milk, 1 banana, 20 grapes, 8 strawberrys, 1 small cup strawberry yogurt

came out pretty good....might add some splenda next time for my sweet tooth

wondering what i can add to keep this low-cal and healthy....ive seen mention of hemp seed, flax seed, wheat germ....
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got some Designer Whey Protein powder yesterday (Strawberry). Seems less sweet than others -- good with frozen strawberries in a smoothie.

Quote:
a splash of coconut sugarfree syrup
I couldn't find any of these at the stores I checked yesterday. The closest World Market is 4 hours away. I guess I'll have to buy online or make my own.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I couldn't find any of these at the stores I checked yesterday. The closest World Market is 4 hours away. I guess I'll have to buy online or make my own.
Good idea. Or, you can locate the nearest store to you that carries Torani syrups, here. They don't cost much online ($7.95/bottle), but the shipping charges are enough to make your eyes water ($6.95 for that same bottle).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, that web site said that a Winco near hear might have it. In the meantime, I made some (using Splenda) and froze it in an ice cube tray, so it's easily added to smoothies. The shredded coconut has sugar in it, however.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Amazon has it too

Torani Sugar Free Coconut Syrup, 750mL: Amazon.com: Grocery

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fireup, where do you find the coconut water? Surely, you don't crack open a coconut everytime you make a smoothie, do you? I have looked and looked at supermarkets and health food stores (granted we have a pretty poor selection down here) and I can't find it anywhere...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Fireup, where do you find the coconut water? Surely, you don't crack open a coconut everytime you make a smoothie, do you? I have looked and looked at supermarkets and health food stores (granted we have a pretty poor selection down here) and I can't find it anywhere...
I prefer VitaCoco (Vita Coco | 100% Natural Coconut Water) Last year I was eating primarily raw foods, and this stuff is only processed at 120 degrees (almost considered "raw" by the raw foodie gurus) I purchase a case at a time (12 or 24 "boxes" at a time) from either a health food store or Whole Foods - cheaper by the case! Always ask for a case discount

Of couse, sometimes I do bust open a baby Thai coconut which is even better! (usually just drink it straight from there!) These can be found at some health food stores or Asian markets, and are cut with a pointy end on top - white in color, wrapped in plastic wrap. I won't pay more than $1.75 each.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I've been refining my smoothie recipe, and here's the best so far:

4 oz water
4 oz 2% milk
3 tbs Kirkland organic peanut butter
1 scoop GNC chocolate-caramel 100% whey powder
1 tsp powdered psyllium husks (not Metamucil)
2 Kirkland frozen strawberries

I've now tried the following protein powders: gnc chocolate, gnc chocolate-caramel, EAS vanilla, Designer strawberry, Designer vanilla. The chocolate-caramel is by far the best.

I use the Kirkland organic peanut butter not because it is organic, but because it doesn't have added sugar. I've been a Skippy superchunk fan for 30 years, but this organic stuff tastes much better. Once you switch you won't go back, even with the bother of needing to keep it in the fridge.

For the unflavored Metamucil, the first ingredient is sugar -- that's why I've switched to the pure psyllium husks (about the same price).
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

In the Valley, we are able to get Goya frozen fruit puree (no sugar added) in Mango, Guava and Passionfruit. They all make great smoothies. We usually mix in frozen bananas, some kind of tropical fruit juice and yogurt/buttermilk.

Sometimes we find Guanabana (soursop) puree - that makes an awesome smoothie!

Audrey
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #31

I have been resisting, but here is my recipe for smoothie base. You can add any frozen or fresh fruits as desired.

1 banana
1/2 cup plain yogurt. I use only White Mountain brand made from whole milk. Seriously, try it. Available at Whole Foods.
1/2 cup orange juice
1 scoop whey protein powder (better texture and froths better than soy)
4-5 ice cubes
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #32

I've been making green smoothies for my lunch lately. I don't have a recipe but just buy any green leafy veggie that looks nice and fresh at the store. Yesterday was mustard greens. I really like parsley as one of the greens. It gives the smoothie a nice fresh taste. I always start with cold water and the greens and liquify that first. I usually add half a frozen banana and about a half cup of Greek style yogurt. I add whatever I have on hand. Could be berries, oranges, pineapple,etc. Yesterday I happened to have a papaya on hand. I really don't care what I end up with as long as I get some good nutrients down the hatch.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sometimes we find Guanabana (soursop) puree - that makes an awesome smoothie!
Thanks for the tip. We get a lot of Goya stuff here and I bet I can find it at my regular grocery store. If not, I'll hit the nearest Fiesta store. I prefer fresh fruit in smoothies, but it's a pain to keep around and use it all before it goes bad. Frozen is much less a PITA.