Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Favorite Restaurant and Favorite Dish
Old 02-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Of course they had one of those "if you can eat it --it's free" steaks. Never tried it.
I ate one of Callahans Steak Houses "free if you can eat it" porterhouses. I think it was about 4" thick, roughly 60-64 oz.

Almost gave it back to them, also free, but I made it home.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
What I dream of is grilled bluefish at Legal Seafoods.
There, we might not agree on computers, but we agree on restaurants. A lot of people say its overrated and overpriced, but I never got a bad meal and several were memorable . And travelling through Logan became very pleasant once they opened the restaurant and the separate little raw bar there in different terminals. One could show up for ones flight three hours early, enjoy a nice seafood dinner or a Sam Adams and a lobster roll and not feel like they had wasted their afternoon.

I remember when Legals first opened. Picnic tables and ~15 types of fish on a blackboard...you sat next to strangers and could have any of those fish steamed, broiled or fried. Regular or garlic butter. Every waiter/waitress worked every table and tips were pooled.

THAT's definitely changed.

A few years later, when I was a camp counsellor at one of the overprivileged cape cod camps, one of the berkowitz's kids came "under my attention" (in other words, he got in a lot of trouble all the time and his rich restaurant owning parents paid me to clean it up and keep it cool), I even got one of the restaurants real internal "cook books" with most of their recipes. Still have it.

Smoked bluefish pate. A little thinly sliced red onion. Some nice grainy thin bread slices. Maybe a bit of course grained mustard to dot on every now and then. Heaven...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I ate one of Callahans Steak Houses "free if you can eat it" porterhouses.* I think it was about 4" thick, roughly 60-64 oz.

Almost gave it back to them, also free, but I made it home.
Yup, and based on your avatar, I think I know where that 60-64 oz settled.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:10 AM   #44

Quote:
Every waiter/waitress worked every table and tips were pooled.
I get the sense it still works that way.. every time you look up there's a new person.. Not only do I remember the Inman Sq. location, I remember when they "gentrified" they'd give you the wine list that was in a big geeky binder with green & white lined computer printout, the accordion-fold kind with the holes along the edge! Que classe! Anyway, everything was always cooked perfectly, which is not easy to do with fish, and not easy to maintain quality std.s across a now large chain.

I remember from time to time there'd be articles detaling the implosion of the B. family; I don't envy those kids and can see why they might be screwed up.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
You had me fooled for a minute there.

The Bob_Smith post on this thread was in January of 2005. He hasn't posted since February 17 of last year.

I was trying to pull him out of "post"retirement. Plus I may have been wearing my lasagna blinders.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
All of us have traveled, some of us world-wide. Where's your favority restaurant and favorite dish in that particular restaurant? Or, if it's not the menu, what makes the restaurant so special.

Mine is Keo's in Hawaii. It's a Thai Restaurant. Favorite dish is "Evil Jungle Prince." You can get it with chicken or tofu. They also have outstanding Spring Rolls.

One of my favorite was eating on floating seafood restaurant in Hong Kong. They had excellent services. We had fresh abalone simmered with black mushroom in olyster sauce, crispy fried chicken, steam sea bass with ginger and garlic, braised pigeon, seafood soup.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #47

Giordano's pizza in Chicago. Probably I just like it because it was the nearest restaurant to where I grew up and so it was imprinted in my formative years. But every time I go back it never fails to satisfy.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Actually one of the more interesting and memorable meals was at a place somewhere in mexico on one of my vacations...might have been cancun or cozumel. Anyhow, you got a clean galvanized bucket, and an "ice bar" of raw seafood...lobster, various whole fishes, clams, scallops, shrimp, etc. You name it, it was laid out. You put everything you wanted to eat in the bucket and brought it to the "register". The guy there, who was also your cook (they had 5-6 guys rotating) dumped out your bucket and separated everything. You told him how you wanted each item cooked and they had a chart of suggested methods, but it was pretty much anything goes within reason. He'd jot down your order, scamper off with your stuff, and after a short period of drinking cocktails on the patio, he'd come out with a huge platter with your selections all prepared as you requested.

Kinda different, definitely pretty cool.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Dockside Dave's - Grilled or Blackened Grouper - Mediera Beach, Fl (between Clearwater and St Pete's Beach) - it's a dive but food is great
Old 02-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireme
Giordano's pizza in Chicago.* Probably I just like it because it was the nearest restaurant to where I grew up and so it was imprinted in my formative years.* But every time I go back it never fails to satisfy.

Yeah, Gs is my favorite these days. Grew up in Chicago and liked Unos, Dous, Ginos and on the north side Gullivers. But these days it Gioradons when I visit.

Its interesting, I live in Pasadena, CA and in a six sq block area in Old Town there are 99 restaurants, some of them really great. It gets down to deciding what dish I want rather than which restaurant. I have come to the conclusion that cost is not the issue, there is great expensive food and great cheap food. All the little ethnic Mexican, middle eastern, Thai, Chinese and a lot of others keep me searching out good cheap food on Southern California. Hey, sounds like something to do when I retire!
Old 02-11-2006, 08:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Its interesting, I live in Pasadena, CA and in a six sq block area in Old Town there are 99 restaurants, some of them really great. It gets down to deciding what dish I want rather than which restaurant. I have come to the conclusion that cost is not the issue, there is great expensive food and great cheap food. All the little ethnic Mexican, middle eastern, Thai, Chinese and a lot of others keep me searching out good cheap food on Southern California. Hey, sounds like something to do when I retire!
If you like Chinese, restaurants in Montery Park are cheap (food price).
Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Anytime I'm is SF on the weekend I love to have dim sum at Yank Sing for Sunday brunch. Favorite ritual for years. There are two now, both south of Market. I've heard the dim sum is good in Monterey Park (east of LA) too. Any specific dim sum suggestions in that neck of the woods?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #53

Over the weekend DW and I had dinner out and I thought the wine, a $20 Cote du Rhone was really good. Later I found the same bottle at the nearby wino-rama for $10. Brought it home, popped the cork, waited a few hours then eagerly quaffed a flagonful...YUCK

Whats up with that!?

ps It did get much better the second day

Old 02-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Bad bottle. It happens. Cork smell moldy?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #55

From 2003 the cork wasent in the bottle long enough to have a deep red color. My buddy (rest his soul) used to say, "This wine is still in diapers". Might have been the food combination. I don;t know. These are wonderful problems to have in ER.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Over the weekend DW and I had dinner out and I thought the wine, a $20 Cote du Rhone was really good. Later I found the same bottle at the nearby wino-rama for $10. Brought it home, popped the cork, waited a few hours then eagerly quaffed a flagonful...YUCK

Whats up with that!?

ps It did get much better the second day

Could be a "corked" bottle. That is, contaminated by a chemical (trichloroanisol or TCA) resulting from the bleaching of wine corks in the cleaning process. Estimates are one in twenty bottles are ruined by TCA.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes its not just food that can screw up your palate. I remember doing a little wine tasting in napa and after trying a 'symphony' grape from some winery (might have been clos pegasse before they 'became' anything), every other wine tasted weird and unpleasant to us. For hours.

A few days later I bought another bottle at a grocery store just to see if that was the cause. Indeed, after just a few sips, any other wine just tasted hideous.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #58

I've eaten at some incredible restaurants around the world, but I'm embarrassed to admit that my favorite is:

* *Hometown Buffet

Sheesh, I may as well just check myself into the old folks home. *

But the one near us is, clean, the food is very good, there's no waiting for a waiter, no tip, reasonable price, great desserts. *Also you feel thin compared to the other patrons. *I limit myself to one salad trip, one main course trip, and one dessert trip.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Along those lines, has anyone eaten at a Luby's cafeteria? I think they're pretty much in the southwestern states. The food is really good and the prices reasonable. My fave is the jalapeno cornbread.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Hometown Buffet
Sorry in advance Al...yours must be a lot better than ours.

We tried them twice, just in case the first time was an abberation. BTW, I love buffets/variety.

The food was incredibly over seasoned, specifically everything was very salty. I could only eat two bites of the "stuffing", it must have been 50% herbs and seasoning. High seasoning/salting of food is supposed to suppress appetite.

When I wanted any sort of "expensive" stuff like roast beef or ham, you had to wait in line for a guy to slice you off a piece that was so thin you could read 4pt text through it. The majority of stuff was "cheap", like macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and sauce, steamed vegetables, etc. The second time we went it was "seafood buffet night". The seafood consisted of some sort of flavorless white fish filet doled out one inch at a time, some shrimp the size of my little fingernail mixed into a shrimp salad at about a 1:50 ratio with other stuff, and fish sticks.

Great if you like lots and lots and lots of food for very little money, dont mind overly seasoned food, and generally cheap stuff.

Its extra special here in YC that the parents let their kids eat with no limitations and at least two sub four year olds will run by your table and hurl on the carpet while you're there. Heyyyy...dinner AND a show!

:P