Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Crunchy peanut butter and sliced dill pickle on toasted whole wheat or other multigrain bread.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My favorite has already been mentioned: smoked salmon with cream cheese on a toasted sesame seed bagel. Add a thin slice of red onion and some capers, and I am in heaven. Not that I eat this frequently as it is impossible to get good smoked salmon where I live not to mention good bagels. My second favorite is a reuben. Third is chopped liver spread on a toasted bagel.

As I kid I used to love bologna (called "jumbo" in western PA)fried in a skillet until it curled on toasted white bread with a slice of garden tomato. In high school I took the same brown bag lunch all 3 years: Isaly's chipped ham and Gulden's spicy brown mustard on Roman Meal bread plus an apple. I bought a little container of milk from the cafeteria.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
My favorite has already been mentioned: smoked salmon with cream cheese on a toasted sesame seed bagel. Add a thin slice of red onion and some capers, and I am in heaven. Not that I eat this frequently as it is impossible to get good smoked salmon where I live not to mention good bagels. My second favorite is a reuben. Third is chopped liver spread on a toasted bagel.
You hit two of my favorites. Your third sandwich, I'd prefer that to be liverwurst.
On each sandwich a slice of provolone and sliced tomato for enhanced flavor.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reuben dressed with brown mustard. No thousand island or Russian dressing on my sandwiches, please. I also generally hate mayo, but I try it every 3-4 years just to keep an open mind, er, palate.

I recall having an Italian sandwich in a hole the wall in Boston. It was so good, I almost cried. Never had one that good since.

And I don't care for breaded and fried meats, so po' boys are just about my least favorite sandwich.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

#10 - I've been eating them for 20+ years and counting and it hasn't killed me yet although I suspect they are trying their best. All in moderation of course.

Boychiks Deli, 4024 Cox Road, Glen Allen VA, 23060, 804-747-1030

10. Grilled Knockwurst Pastrami $8.50 Swiss & Kraut on a Kaiser
Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My favorite (if I'm eating out and not watching my weight) is a fried shrimp po'boy "dressed" (with lettuce, mayo, and plenty of sliced home grown Creole tomatoes), all on hot fresh French bread. Like this:
Is Mother's still in business.

The closest they get here is The Flea Market or Louisiana Kitchen or me'

In Da high plains I like grilled cheese with Sourdough bread, a good medium cheddar and Mayo no butter on the grilled outside part.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germonico View Post
I did not see any mention of a left over meatloaf sandwich.....with or without horseradish sauce. We don't eat much meat these days, but when DW made meatloaf for supper, it was really the next day's sandwich that brought the compliment of "how exceptionally good the meatloaf was tonight" in order to keep it on the menu for the following week's meal plan.
+1 Mmmmmm
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Is Mother's still in business.

The closest they get here is The Flea Market or Louisiana Kitchen or me'

In Da high plains I like grilled cheese with Sourdough bread, a good medium cheddar and Mayo no butter on the grilled outside part.

heh heh heh -
As far as I know it is! . But, the owner passed away.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...ies_mothe.html

My sympathies on the restaurants up there, and my guess is that good French bread would be hard for you to find in your location. Still, the sandwich you describe sounds pretty terrific.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can't pick one either...
Clubhouse
BLT
Egg Salad
Shrimp Salad
Avocado and Bacon
Montreal Smoked Meat
Pastrami
Beef Dip
YVRRocketSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #130

BLT - with homegrown tomatoes
Pastrami
Corned Beef
Reuben
TriTip with horseradish - homemade of course
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

BLC...homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers with bacon on lightly toasted multi grain bread.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

It's 95 degrees here now and my Italian Sub is gonna taste nice and cool and refreshing!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Few I haven't had but I know they are popular in their state: Iowa loose meat sandwich, Kentucky Browns, Indiana pork tenders. Anyone tried?
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Few I haven't had but I know they are popular in their state: Iowa loose meat sandwich, Kentucky Browns, Indiana pork tenders. Anyone tried?
KY Hot Brown is a good sandwich, but is covered in brown gravy, so it is more like a meal than a sandwich you eat holding with your hands. Yes they are good. But a fork and knife eating experience.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote