Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BBQ pulled pork
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #42
Administrator

I love good sandwiches, making them and eating them. Some really enjoyable moments with my children when they were young and we would make a project of going out to get the right ingredients, then put it all together for dinner. When we moved abroad I learned just how good freshly baked bread can be - what a difference.

Which sandwich is really a matter of personal taste, and I think it's lots of fun trying different things. Start with some good bread. Try a fresh baguette, for example. Add something moist and creamy to the inside - mayo, mustard, cream cheese, hummus. Even better, drizzle some olive oil. Add a couple layers of quality protein. Experimenting with different types of good cheese can make the turkey taste much better, or you can change to chicken breast, ham, smoked salmon, pastrami. If you have a Jewish deli nearby go see what they have. Add some thinly sliced tomato and onion, some grated lettuce. Salt and pepper. Then on the side a good dill pickle, some chips, a cold beer or iced tea. Heaven ...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #43

Walleye filet with lettuce, cheese, and tartar sauce.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Ham and Swiss on whole wheat with lettuce and sliced tomatoes. It's my go-to.
scaubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Breakfast sausage pattie with fried egg and slice of pepper jack cheese on a toasted English muffin, buttered. Doesn't have to be for breakfast.

2. Oyster Po Boy, dressed, on fresh French bread.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #46

OMG, page 3 and no one has mentioned my favorite, yet: Lox, cream cheese and tomato on a [preferably poppy seed] bagel.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like it with capers & onions;

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Can't pick just one, but Pastrami or Corned Beef on Rye,
Having both pastrami and corned beef is called a New Yorker, typically on marble rye like a Rueben but without the sauerkraut. This is one of my favorites if I go to a deli type place.

I also like the italian sliced meats. Some other favorites: turkey with avocado, BBQ pulled pork, green chile cheeseburger, BLT.

Trying to cut carbs and loving sandwiches does not go together very well

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #49

When tomatoes are in season, it's BLTs all the way, baby.

We also love whole wheat with cheddar cheese, salsa, and mayonnaise, with a lot of crunchy lettuce. Sounds odd, tastes amazing.

Another favorite is Belgian-style chicken curry. Basically mix curry powder with mayo to the strength you like it, then blend in shredded cooked chicken breast and diced onions. Pile on a sandwich roll with lots of lettuce (I like Romaine here).

And, because we're in California: Sourdough with mashed avocado, swiss cheese, and pickled red onion. Ooh, yeah!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

#9 Club Supreme at Jersey Mike's - roast beef, turkey, bacon and swiss cheese

Shaved prime rib sandwich at Longhorn
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #51

Of course a lot depends on the restaurant, but: first choice is Italian Sub with everything, even mayo and oil and vinegar. Second would be a Reuben.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #52

A gourmet grilled cheese (sourdough bread, butter, quality cheddar etc) with bacon. Or a great tuna melt. Simple but quality ingredients.

I grew up eating things like fried bologna sandwiches and velveeta grilled cheese on wonder bread. No nostalgia for them.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #53

Pulled xxxxx BBQ. Doesn't matter if the meat is chicken or pork (or anything else) if the sauce is top-notch.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #54

Grilled Veggie panini. I like to use zucchini, yellow squash, red onions and fresh mushrooms. Brush the sliced veggies with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grill a few minutes. Add some garlic lemon mayo and feta and panini it up and BAM! It's awesome.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #55

There is a bar not far from me that every day cooks up beef roasts and ham, don't know what the cut of meat is. They slice the meat right at the bar and make your sandwich. My husband loves the roast beef sandwich and I get a half of their ham sandwich. We don't go often because neither of us are lunch people. At home I have a couple of favorites: Peanut butter and mayo on white bread or a fresh summer tomato and mayo on white or Grilled Swiss cheese (sometimes put a slice of tomato or baby spinach between the layers of cheese) on whole wheat and use mayo instead of butter on the outside of the bread when you cook it. The peanut butter is year round, the tomato is my summer favorite and the grilled cheese is a winter favorite.
Forgot the pear sandwich, thin slices of red pear on whole wheat or sourdough with poppy seed dressing on top.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Favorite sandwich?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Favorite sandwich?

I like tons of different sandwiches, so I can't say which is best. But here are my tips to improve any sandwich.

1. Heat it. Whether it's grilled, broiled, panini style, or just has hot fillings, I think a hot sandwich beats a cold sandwich 99% of the time. This includes grilled PB&J...mmmmm.
2. Layer correctly. The correct order from top to bottom is bread, spread, soft veggie, meat, cheese, crunchy veggie, other crunchy, spread, bread. Spreads (dressing, mayo, mustard, hummus, oil, butter, etc) keep the bread from getting soggy. You want the cheese and meat (if using) together so the cheese melts into the meat. Crunchy stuff on top just has a better mouthfeel. I use to work at a national sandwich chain and this order is based on numerous studies they did to figure out what people like best. YMMV.
3. Almost any sandwich is made better by coating the outside in a mix of butter, Parmesan, and garlic powder, then lightly frying. It provides amazing crunch and flavor. Different spices can be used for different flavor palates....curry, pepper, rosemary, etc.
4. Don't be afraid to turn the bread inside out. When I have a bread that prevents me from doing #3 effectively (like a crusty Italian loaf) I'll coat the inside in that mix, fry it, then use the inside as the outside of my sandwich.
5. Use different textures to make the sandwich more interesting. When I was little my favorite sandwich was white bread with the thinnest possible layer of mayo, roast beef, and provolone. Now, that sounds positively awful. It seems like it would be so limp and would kind of just melt in my mouth. I like to chew my sandwiches. Interestingly, when I was a kid the reason I liked it so much was because it would just melt in my mouth. It is really hard to chew because it sticks to the roof of your mouth...blech.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I love rare version steak on flour tortillas, salt and pepper maybe a little mayo. Yum.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

This thread is making me sooooo hungry ! My favorite is BLT's but with turkey bacon.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

We're fortunate to be able to buy high quality hickory smoked pulled pork shoulder meat in our grocery store. A couple of local barbecue restaurants also sell a sweet and sour mustard barbecue slaw that's incredible. And I buy designer barbecue sauces in the grocery stores anytime I travel close to Memphis.

I keep these items as a quick fix staple of my diet--can be eating in 3 minutes. And it's an incredible sandwich with 2' of meat.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Having grown up near Chicago, I would have to say the Italian Beef sandwich that seems to be native to the area would be my favorite or perhaps a prime rib French dip. A good club sandwich with sweet bacon and honey mustard dressing to dip it in isn't bad either. yum!
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote