Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I just got tickets to see Ringo this summer
My son and I saw RS and his AllStarr band a few years ago. He had Gary Wright, Edgar Winter, Colin Haye (Men At Work), and Billy Squier with him. Very entertaining show, all were solid performers and did a great job covering each other's music. Wnjoy!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I know I'm late to the party, but...

It's not easy to pick just one, they are all such talents:
John - Imagine
Paul - Maybe I'm Amazed
Ringo - It Don't Come Easy
George - My Sweet Lord

Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

So many good ones to choose from. I always thought "Silly Love Songs" by Paul was one of the best. Great tune with one of the most inventive pop baselines ever.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't argue with that bass line Daniel!
Old 05-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

A couple more worth mentioning (I think) --

Paul -- Junior's Farm

John -- Nobody Told Me
Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #26

I just luv, luv, luv The Beatles. For all they did intentionally, incidentally, and accidentally for my generation's culture.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
I just luv, luv, luv The Beatles. For all they did intentionally, incidentally, and accidentally for my generation's culture.
I still play one of their cd's at least once a Month.....
Old 06-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Favorite solo Beatles songs

Quote:
I just got tickets to see Ringo this summer

I'm sitting around waiting for a lawyer to call me (don't ask), so I can report on last weekend's Big Shew.

He's still on tour, so if it's swinging your way and there are tickets, Go Johnny Go!

Great band, all stars (that's why they're The All-Stars!). The ones I was most familiar with are Gregg Rolie (Santana keyboards) and Todd Rundgren. They did a few Santana classics: "Evil Ways", "Black Magic Woman", "Oye Como Va".

Ringo opened with "Matchbox" and "It Don't Come Easy" before handing off to the All-Stars and taking to the drums.

The guy will be 74 on July 7, but you'd never guess. He plays, sings, and flat out rocks!

At one point he said, "we'll do some songs from that band I USED to be with: Rory Storm and The Hurricanes!".

Obviously not - some that come to mind were "Honey Don't", "Don't Pass Me By", "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Photograph", "Yellow Submarine", and of course "With A Little Help From My Friends". Many more, it was a 2-hour+ show with no opening act (fine with me!).

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm sitting around waiting for a lawyer to call me (don't ask), so I can report on last weekend's Big Shew.

He's still on tour, so if it's swinging your way and there are tickets, Go Johnny Go!

Great band, all stars (that's why they're The All-Stars!). The ones I was most familiar with are Gregg Rolie (Santana keyboards) and Todd Rundgren. They did a few Santana classics: "Evil Ways", "Black Magic Woman", "Oye Como Va".

Ringo opened with "Matchbox" and "It Don't Come Easy" before handing off to the All-Stars and taking to the drums.

The guy will be 74 on July 7, but you'd never guess. He plays, sings, and flat out rocks!

At one point he said, "we'll do some songs from that band I USED to be with: Rory Storm and The Hurricanes!".

Obviously not - some that come to mind were "Honey Don't", "Don't Pass Me By", "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Photograph", "Yellow Submarine", and of course "With A Little Help From My Friends". Many more, it was a 2-hour+ show with no opening act (fine with me!).

Sent from my iPod touch using Early Retirement Forum

Did he sing "Boys"?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel J View Post
Did he sing "Boys"?

No, he didn't (at least not that I can recall - I was in an altered state of delerious bliss most of the evening).

That one would have paired well with "I Wanna Be Your Man", which he led into by yelling, "ARE THERE ANY LADIES OUT THERE".

Retired October 2012

Old 07-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No, he didn't (at least not that I can recall - I was in an altered state of delerious bliss most of the evening).

That one would have paired well with "I Wanna Be Your Man", which he led into by yelling, "ARE THERE ANY LADIES OUT THERE".

Retired October 2012

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #32

Quote:

Obviously not ...
Actually, before he was invited to join The Beatles, Ringo played with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes and had a drum and/or vocal solo spot during their sets called "Starr Time." During his solo spot he'd sing stuff like "Boys," which he still performs to this day.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #33

I meant "obviously not" not in reference to The Hurricanes (all Beatles people know he played with them), but the songs he did in that show.

A friend/fellow attendee sent me a message with info about personnel history. I'll pass on once I recover from flying back "home" today.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #34

Here's what I got. If you don't see Ringo, check out Lake Street Dive; they're on the road all summer.!

-----------

According to Pete Best's own website, the band he was in before the Beatles was called the Blackjacks.
http://www.petebest.com/biography/1960-62.aspx

According to Merseybeat Nostalgia, Rory Storm had a band called The Raving Texans in 1959, which Ringo joined. They changed their name to Rory Storm and the Hurricanes at "the end of 1959".

Paul and John met Ringo when the Beatles were playing second bill to Derry Willkie and the Seniors. That's when they offered him Pete's job.
http://www.merseybeatnostalgia.co.uk...ory_storm.html

I think you misread the Wikipedia entry:
Ringo Starr was the drummer for the Hurricanes before joining the Beatles in August 1962, replacing original drummer Pete Best.

The "replacing original drummer" refers to "joining the Beatles" not to "drummer for the Hurricanes".

Re: The All-Starr Band lineup:
Steve Lukather, formerly of Toto, was the guy with the metallic guitars.
Gregg Rolie, formerly of Santana and Journey, was the keyboardist
Todd Rundgren is Todd Rundgren
Gregg Bissonette (misspelled on the Ringo website) was the other drummer. Played with Van Halen. Great factoid: His father's name was Bud -- "Budís band when he was young was called Buddy Bissonette and His Bouncing Bulgarian Bean Band!"
Richard Page played bass (he's the one with the strong high voice) - had been in Mr. Mister
Warren Ham was the guy in the back who was with Kansas, among other bands

Here is an All-Starr joke I just made up:

Q: What did Steve Lukather say to Warren Ham at the first All-Starr rehearsal?
A: "Kansas, I don't think we're in Toto any more."

Old 07-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I still think the album "All things must pass" by George Harrison is one of the best of all time. So many great songs on it, great musicians and produced by Phil Spector.

"Band on the Run" was also a great album.

I listed to the whole "Imagine" album again on Monday night - been a while since I heard it all but it is all still great. "How do you sleep" has that driving force in it and such vindictive lyrics.

"It don't come easy" is a great song.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post

I listed to the whole "Imagine" album again on Monday night - been a while since I heard it all but it is all still great. "How do you sleep" has that driving force in it and such vindictive lyrics.

"Those freaks were right when they said you were dead."

You don't write stuff like that about anyone who isn't really, really close to you. It's Cold Turkey land.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #37

One more thing about the All-Starr Band:

I have a friend who is heavy into computer graphics, virtual/alternate reality, etc. That's his job, and he goes to conferences about that stuff.

When you show up at that kind of meeting. you have to stand up and say who you are. definitely if you are presenting, but sometimes even if you're just asking a question. "I'm Steelyman, Illinois, blah-blah".

My friend was at one of those, and a guy walked up to the mike and said:

"Todd Rundgren. Rock musician."

Now, what do you say to that?

Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #38

Someone posted a cell phone/YouTube clip of Ringo at DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center). I don't have any idea how long it will stay out there.

http://youtu.be/AEXdoUSog9U

Old 09-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #39

A woman was telling me I'd make a good "Honeydew" man. As in, "Honey, do this, Honey do that."

I told her I saw the master singing "Honey Don't".

Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #40

George Harrison