Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #81
Confused about dryer sheets

Orange is the New Black is surprisingly hilarious.
Under the Dome and I saw one episode of Brooklyn Nine Nine on a Jet Blue flight last week and it had me laughing out loud (stars very underrated Andre Braugher) looks promising.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoCo618 View Post
Orange is the New Black is surprisingly hilarious.
Under the Dome and I saw one episode of Brooklyn Nine Nine on a Jet Blue flight last week and it had me laughing out loud (stars very underrated Andre Braugher) looks promising.
I heard a TV critic on the radio saying Brooklyn Nine Nine is the best of the new shows so am looking forward to seeing it.

I'll check out Orange Is the New Black--great title.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

A tip of the hat to the 1976 BBC mini-series I Claudius. I rented it from my local library during my first few months of ER three years back and loved it. Derek Jacobi was outstanding. Also, pretty "racy" for its era.

The reason I watched that series on DVD was because I was listening to The History of Rome podcasts at the time. It took me over two years to get thru all 179 episodes, but it was worth it. Listened while out for long walks or at the gym, or during long drives. (Downloaded all podcast episodes to PC and then transferred episodes to my MP3 player.) After a long break, the guy is now doing a new podcast series, on the history of great political revolutions.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently caught the first season of "Breaking Bad" on Netfix, and got the same feeling as after watching all of "The Sopranos". Both series feature excellent writing, acting, direction, etc. But at the end of the day, I just can't shake the feeling that I've just spent a lot of time with characters I really don't like.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Downton Abbey! I'm anxiously awaiting season 4.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And Last Tango in Halifax on PBS is fun.
I wondered if anyone might mention that one. What do y'all make of that show? So, so British... I'm not sure it translates well though I can't be the judge of that.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #87

For the past month have had access to all 90 episodes of "The Good Wife".
Finsihed the last episode yesterday. I'm hooked. Every episode has a main plot, 2 subplots, and an ongoing continuity plot. Hard to begin watching an episode and not finish... especially without commercials. Twists of law really interesting, as is the character Kalinda.

Watched Last Tango in Halifax yesterday... reminds me of Downton Abbey... not quite as good, but fun.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
A tip of the hat to the 1976 BBC mini-series I Claudius. I rented it from my local library during my first few months of ER three years back and loved it. Derek Jacobi was outstanding. Also, pretty "racy" for its era.

The reason I watched that series on DVD was because I was listening to The History of Rome podcasts at the time. It took me over two years to get thru all 179 episodes, but it was worth it. Listened while out for long walks or at the gym, or during long drives. (Downloaded all podcast episodes to PC and then transferred episodes to my MP3 player.) After a long break, the guy is now doing a new podcast series, on the history of great political revolutions.

I Claudius was my favorite show back in 1976. I ordered it from Ebay a couple of years ago because I wanted to watch it again. Haven't got around to it though. Really good acting from main character.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post

I wondered if anyone might mention that one. What do y'all make of that show? So, so British... I'm not sure it translates well though I can't be the judge of that.
Just watched episode 2. We are enjoying Last Tango in Halifax--good cast, lots of interesting characters, country and town settings. I like that the script surprises me. And I really like that it's a contemporary story. We like Downton Abbey but are really enjoying the non-periodness of Tango. And It's always fun with BBC series to see accomplished actors that we don't often see otherwise.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Breaking Bad wow just wow.

For anyone who is planning on watching the series on Netflix, don't plan on watching more than one of the last 8 episodes at time it will be too emotionally draining.
+1

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Todd and the Book of Pure Evil. The best series to come out of Canada since Red Green.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrlawjr View Post
This is indeed the "Second Golden Age" of television. I think the reason that the current crop of movies is generally so poor is that the best writers have gone to television.

The Wire
Treme
Boardwalk Empire
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
Orange is the New Black
Newsroom
+1 on your selections. I would add Boss on Starz channel. The series stars Kelsey Grammer. Awesome character.