Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I guess I take these questions too seriously.
I've been agonizing since last November over choosing my absolute favorite vehicle. I tend to hang on to vehicles for a while before replacing them and I can't really remember any that I didn't like. I've had expensive new cars and cheap used ones too. New and used pick up trucks, bicycles and motorcycles as well. I've finally realized that one of my current vehicles is the favorite of all... so far.

In 2007 I bought a Mini Cooper. At that time there weren't very many in dealers' inventories to choose from so I ordered one with the specifications I wanted. It's been a great car. Service and repairs have been primarily maintenance items and the car has been flawless. Although it's less than ideal for more than two people, it's proved to be an excellent long distance traveler. Twelve hour interstate grinds are as comfortable as any other vehicle I have experience with. I've realized that it's faster than the 1967 Mustang GT that I loved. The average fuel economy for the Mini has been nearly 42mpg and I'm really happy with that. In 2007 a Mini was still somewhat distinctive and I enjoyed the attention that it attracted. These days there are Minis every where but I still get compliments from strangers.
This Mini has been inexpensive to buy and use with no sacrifice of any capabilities that are important to me. It's my favorite.

Here's a picture taken on "The Tail of The Dragon" last October on my return trip from New Orleans.
Although probably not closely related to the current Mini Cooper, I remember being totally amazed at a race track in the late 60's to see a Mini absolutely blow the doors off a Corvette. That's when I started thinking maybe there is something after all to these little pretend cars...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster. Sleek, sexy. I said and did some careless things. Now she is gone and will never come back.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #183
Dryer sheet aficionado

65 Birthday present is the best!

2011 BMW 3 convertible is all around the most fun auto I ever had.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #184

Resurrecting this old thread because I came across an article about the car of my dreams, when I was high school age. An affordable do it yourself project that was featured in a serial article in the old Mechanix Illustrated Magazine.

If you're a bit older, you may remember the Mechanix Illustrated Sportster. Here's a nostalgic look at a DIY automobile from the 1950's.

A 1932 Ford Special Roadster, SOLD by Californiaclassix.com!

Quote:
A few months ago, in the Lost and Found pages of Hemmings Classic Car, we began the hunt for the remaining Mechanix Illustrated Specials, a type of do-it-yourself car that capitalized on the late 1940s/early 1950s sport-special craze, but which combined elements of early kit car building, hot rodding and junkyard digging. Mechanix Illustrated offered the plans for the MI Special for many years during the 1950s and exhibited photos of completed examples at every chance they got, but the whole thing started in November 1951, when the magazine presented Bob Whitehead’s progenitor of the species in a “How I did this, and how you can too” type of article. How much of this is actually safe is debatable (and the aesthetics certainly aren’t for everybody), but, as we’ve written before, this is exactly the kind of DIY ethic we miss seeing nowadays. - See more at: Build this 100-MPH sports car for under $500! | Hemmings Daily
Check out the link in the quote...
Enjoy the article and the pictures.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #185

After watching Vanishing Point this week, I'm in love with the 1970 Dodge Challenger. Love love love. That's my dream car.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #186

Hmmm... sharing a pic of our limo, parked in front of our home in Florida.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg florida car.jpg (426.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

1983 Mazda RX-7, my first new vehicle. I've owned several fun vehicles since then, but that was the first.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

'68 Camero convertible. Had a 427 under the hood. Dangerous car for a 17 year old to be driving.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
After watching Vanishing Point this week, I'm in love with the 1970 Dodge Challenger. Love love love. That's my dream car.
DH had this car, but in red, in 1970. He will never get over her.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #190

1975 Chevy Nova
Old 10-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH had this car, but in red, in 1970. He will never get over her.
I always knew he was cool.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #192

Quote:
Vanishing Point was amusing. Did you know that AudioSlave did a video based on that movie?

Audioslave Show me how to live on Vimeo
Old 10-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

I absolutely love my "gecko green" 2009 New Beetle with sunroof. Fantastic mileage, great headroom, and very peppy and reliable.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Vanishing Point was amusing. Did you know that AudioSlave did a video based on that movie?

Audioslave Show me how to live on Vimeo
Interesting. I am not a huge fan of their music, but it was clever how they combined the movie clips with their own shoot.

I love car chase scenes. I should confess that the very next movie I watched after Vanishing Point was Smokey and the Bandit.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I always knew he was cool.
The producers would have picked another car had they known DH owned the Challenger. Nevertheless, like you he is a HUGE fan of car chases and major wreckage during same.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #196

Was in love with my first new car, a 1986 Honda Prelude Special Edition, the dealer mechanics used to say that this was the best car Honda ever made and one actually said that when I eventually sold it to let him know. He eventually did buy it. But I think that my favourite 'car' was a 1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 that we owned when we lived in the Middle-East. It was the biggest gas pig ever but fortunately gas was ridiculously cheap there. BMW owned the company at the time and it had some great technology - including 'Active Cornering' which was hydraulics that jacked up the outside suspension during turns. This thing took the roundabouts like a Lamborghini. And it had like a 57 speaker Harmon Kardon sounds system. Nothing ever sounded so good.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #197
Recycles dryer sheets

Red 1993 Mazda RX-7. What a fun car.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #198
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
1975 Chevy Nova
There are many possible answers for why this is your number 1. Any of the ones I can think of would likely get me blocked......
Old 10-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't own this one very long....but I would buy a new one if they still made them. Mini Clubman.....before the new Clubman. What a simple nice car. 2 side opening doors at the rear. VERY few instruments in the dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1953.jpg (395.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
1983 Mazda RX-7, my first new vehicle. I've owned several fun vehicles since then, but that was the first.
Still think RX-7's of that era were one of the best looking cars made. Had an 84 GSL SE, black, that I loved. Had to give it up since I took son and daughter to school and eventually he would not fit in the back!

Favorite may have been 2008 Cayman S, but eventually gave it up for garage space. Not likely to ever have any favorite cars anymore, they've become transport vehicles to me. Also, I really don't care to be "looked at" at this point, prefer to go through the rest of life in anonymity! Too busy looking out for texting/phoning idiots to enjoy a spirited drive.