Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #201
Confused about dryer sheets

I would have to say............. Red 1987. Mazda RX 7. Great ride but not built for snow.

Andy. Retired. 5/8/13

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Red 1993 Mazda RX-7. What a fun car.

I had the same car and it was definitely my favorite until this year. It was a pity when I had to sell it because living in Hawaii you have to shop at Costco and there was only enough space to buy beer or toilet paper not both.

The problem with my 2013 Tesla S is it is too nice, I drove a couple of other cars in the mainland and I kept get frustrating with primitive way they operated. Anyway it feels more like a rocketship from the future than car, but it is definitely my fav.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1979 Honda Accord hatchback. Very Nice Car.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Still think RX-7's of that era were one of the best looking cars made. Had an 84 GSL SE, black, that I loved. Had to give it up since I took son and daughter to school and eventually he would not fit in the back!

Favorite may have been 2008 Cayman S, but eventually gave it up for garage space. Not likely to ever have any favorite cars anymore, they've become transport vehicles to me. Also, I really don't care to be "looked at" at this point, prefer to go through the rest of life in anonymity! Too busy looking out for texting/phoning idiots to enjoy a spirited drive.
+1 on the Cayman, mine is a 2009. My favorite.

But my best memories are from my '65 Barracuda, Hurst 4 Speed, 283 V8. Good times in that car.

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #205
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJO View Post
But my best memories are from my '65 Barracuda, Hurst 4 Speed, 283 V8. Good times in that car.
I believe it had the 273, the same as my '69 Dodge Dart GT, with the 2-bbl carb (unless you had the upgraded 273 with the 4-bbl carb).
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #206
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great question. I think it's important to differentiate between "favorite" car and "best" car. My "favorite" car was my first; a 1965 Ford Mustang I owned during my senior year of high school. V8, 289, with a racing cam, and Hurst shifter. Oh, the memories! The best car is my current car, an Acura TL. When it comes to building cars, the rest of the world left the U.S. behind about 30 years ago. I love this country, and it does many things well. Unfortunately, building quality cars isn't one of them.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #207
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have only had three cars, a Toyota Tercel, a Honda Accord, and a Subaru Forester....I love the Subaru
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #208
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I believe it had the 273, the same as my '69 Dodge Dart GT, with the 2-bbl carb (unless you had the upgraded 273 with the 4-bbl carb).
I stand corrected - it was the 273. I think it was rated at 180 HP?

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJO View Post
I stand corrected - it was the 273. I think it was rated at 180 HP?
My brother had the 1969 Dart with the 440/4bl carb. I don't know how many horses but a really fast car.

Funny story - My blonde and buxom sister was standing near the car when a young marine came up to my brother, pointed in the direction of the Dart and said "hey man is that your cool Swinger". My brothers reply - Noooo, thats just my sister".
Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #210

All the talk about Mazdas reminded me of a great car I had in the late 70s....the RX3. It had the wenkel rotary engine - fast and very smooth. Big problem with these cars was that the oil pump was electrical not mechanical. If the pump went out you would have a seized motor in less than a minute
I sold the car for what I payed for it...that was a first -- and last.

I always thought the rotary motor was going to take off.....there was some talk of a Corvette with the rotary motor - that would have been interesting.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #211
Recycles dryer sheets

IRC, the wankel rotary couldn't meet pollution standards.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife's current ride is the finest car I've ever owned. 2009 Lexus RX350. Smooth, powerful, reliable and so comfortable. I drive a 98 4WD Ford Ranger.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #213
Recycles dryer sheets

So many memories, hard to pick a favorite :-)

1955 GMC pickup - V8 powered, and it could smoke the tires like you wouldn't believe. Somewhere south of 5 mpg too.
1972 Opel Kadett wagon - With a fresh set of Michelin's it was a rally contender, at least in my mind...
1965 Corvair Monza - fun car(s), had two; one for parts!
1977 Triumph TR7 - took lot's of ribbing over needing a wedge shaped garage.
1978 Honda Civic - least boring thing about that car was when mice shoved dogfood up the tailpipe, left interesting smoldering droppings on the road.
1982 Toyota Celica - dependable fun car
1987 Jeep Comanche pickup - practical fun truck
1998 Ford F250 'light duty' pickup - big truck
2004 Ford F250 pickup - bigger truck
2006 Ford Escape - loaded, actually spoiled me for more luxurious vehicles
1996 BMW 318i - economical, bought it well used for very cheap
2002 Porsche Boxster - DW and I decided to do something fun for us, great decision; enjoyable top down fun
2008 Honda Ridgeline - gas guzzling car disguised as a truck
2004 BMW X3 - nimble & capable
2005 Ford F150 XLT - bought with over 150k miles on it, work truck
2006 Porsche Cayenne S - my 'retirement vehicle' - bought used after someone else took a huge depreciation hit; today's favorite

And for two wheels -
1978 Honda 550K - cycling bug was biting, but this wasn't all that fun
1989 BMW K100RS/ABS - wish I still had it, special edition blau & weiss
1996 BMW K1100LT - bought as a rebuilder project, sold after finishingnbecause I didn't feel that I was ready for an old geezer bike "yet"
1998 BMW R1100GS - can't find enough gravel roads to satisfy the adventure wanderlust
Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #214
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
My brother had the 1969 Dart with the 440/4bl carb.
That was the GTS...

BTW, the Swinger model had the base 6 cyl, with the popular Swinger 340 (with the Bumble Bee stripe on the back quarter, same as on the GTS) with the 340 engine.

I wanted a Swinger 340, but there were none left in local inventory by the time I returned from Nam in September '69. I didn't like the body change to the '70's that were on the lot, but they had a few GT's left, which I was able to get in place of the 340. Not a stick and not a 340, but still a mover with the body style I liked, over the 1970 model.

Drove the car for 10 years (96k). Not bad for a car back in the "old days"...