Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb

My parents hauled us around in a 1964 Galaxy for a few years when I was pretty young. I remember it well. White exterior, red interior. Had the round tail lights. Next car they bought was a '67 Ford Custom, 4-door...which ended up being my first car when I was in high school. Had a 289 v-8, and power NOTHING...lol. No pwr brakes, no pwr steering, no AC, no radio, no auto transmission...just 3 on the tree... But I'm tellin' ya that was a beast of a tough car. I put it through all the hell that can be expected from a teenage boy with a lead foot, and she kept on running. Ummm until that pine tree incident. Anyway, cool Galaxy!
I was a high schooler in the early 80s. Those 60s Galaxies must have been built to last because anybody who could barely afford a car seemed to have a 15 year old Galaxy parked in the HS parking lot.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess I take these questions too seriously.
I've been agonizing since last November over choosing my absolute favorite vehicle. I tend to hang on to vehicles for a while before replacing them and I can't really remember any that I didn't like. I've had expensive new cars and cheap used ones too. New and used pick up trucks, bicycles and motorcycles as well. I've finally realized that one of my current vehicles is the favorite of all... so far.

In 2007 I bought a Mini Cooper. At that time there weren't very many in dealers' inventories to choose from so I ordered one with the specifications I wanted. It's been a great car. Service and repairs have been primarily maintenance items and the car has been flawless. Although it's less than ideal for more than two people, it's proved to be an excellent long distance traveler. Twelve hour interstate grinds are as comfortable as any other vehicle I have experience with. I've realized that it's faster than the 1967 Mustang GT that I loved. The average fuel economy for the Mini has been nearly 42mpg and I'm really happy with that. In 2007 a Mini was still somewhat distinctive and I enjoyed the attention that it attracted. These days there are Minis every where but I still get compliments from strangers.
This Mini has been inexpensive to buy and use with no sacrifice of any capabilities that are important to me. It's my favorite.

Here's a picture taken on "The Tail of The Dragon" last October on my return trip from New Orleans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 241720b.jpg (117.4 KB, 7 views)
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always admired/desired a Mini Cooper but, living in CT have avoided them so far due to snowy winters. How have you found yours to handle winter conditions?
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #164

That's a good point to bring up bltkmt. I've never driven this Mini in the snow. I use a 2002 Nissan Xtera 4X4 when the weather's bad. I do know that on the Mini Cooper forum there are discussions about the best tires to use for snow. With front wheel drive, traction control and the dynamic stability control that my car has I'd expect it to be okay. I can tell you that the 1962 Mini that I used to drive in all weather was a fantastic snowmobile. I'm sorry that I can't provide any first hand report on the current Mini's though.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
This - I have had it for five years now and still love it. Fantastic vehicle for family and dogs.

I really like those too. I very nearly bought one instead of the Mini.

An unlikely coincidence.
Here's a thread on that decision.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ice-29261.html
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Too funny! I do love my FJ and will likely keep it in the family - 2 teenage boys. I just want something a bit more fun to drive and with better MPG. But I am also a cheap b*st*rd.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #167
Dryer sheet wannabe

1965 Chevy Impala, metallic blue, Crome reverse, two door, dual exhaust, 287. Raked up in the back.....my hottest ride EVER!!
Dave C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I thought maybe you were talking about Moscow, Texas...lol. That's right down the road from here... Yeah, I saw the ID plate, but figured it coulda been "imported" into Texas. Is that a '76? I had a '77 when I was 19-20 yrs old that I bought new, then totaled. Sweet car, all black. I think the rear lights were a little different, between those 2 year models.
It is a 76. You are correct about taillights-slightly different.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

1967 Chevelle 396SS H.O. convertible.............

Too bad I don't still have it, worth $50,000-$60,000 now, or more............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I would have to say my current ride - 2008 Subaru Legacy GT - AWD is great and the 4 cyl turbo has a lot of pep. Dislikes are having to use premium fuel and gas mileage is only so-so (mid 20s in mixed driving). I like the size, a bit smaller than most mid-size sedans.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #171
Dryer sheet aficionado

1978 Chevy Camero
Jgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

My current 2010 Acura TL-SHWD is a fun ride, 300+ Hp going to all four (27 mpg). As a LBYM guy I bought it. as certified pre-owned for 50% of new sticker price with only 21k miles.
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #173

I actually love my practical, 2004 Volvo V70 wagon. Comfortable, decent mileage, basically no repairs. I bought it new after my Corolla started getting blown sideways on the interstate when my office moved and the commute changed. Decided I needed a heavier car and one that held more "stuff".
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
........As a LBYM guy I bought it. as certified pre-owned for 50% of new sticker price with only 21k miles.
Sounds good, especially when compared to "sticker" price. I wonder who pays sticker price?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
1965 Chevy Impala, metallic blue, Crome reverse, two door, dual exhaust, 287. Raked up in the back.....my hottest ride EVER!!

That would have been either a 327 or a 283. I don't believe there was a 287...
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

65 Yellow T-Bird.
gbstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

'67 Volvo 122s
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #178
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
That would have been either a 327 or a 283. I don't believe there was a 287...

Holy Cow! You know your engines! OK, it was over 40 years ago.....and you are correct. It was a 283..... I believe the smallest eight available that year. I now remember I wanted the 327, but couldn't pass up this beauty. I bought it around 1971 for $700.
Dave C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #179

My favorite was my 76 olds "nostalgia". Anymore I enjoy the newer luxury cars with the safety features and comfort.

I'm starting to have a crisis and the new mustangs are beckoning me...
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I wonder who pays sticker price?
Back during the gas crises I paid over sticker price for a Honda. Demand exceeded the supply and set the street price.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...a-new-car.html
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote