Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Back in 2004 we sought higher ground at a friend's house. He is passionate wine collector, and what better time to crack open a few bottles. Hurricane howling outside, plenty of wine, good game of poker, his family and dog, Lynn and I and dog.. all in all it was one of the best hurricanes I ever had.

Too bad they're not all like that.
Maybe you could make it a tradition to party at your friend's house when hurricanes threaten. You could show up on his doorstep, glass in hand, and see if he goes for it...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

4:47 pm check out radar. looks like center is right over key west

NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Key West, FL

5 pm advisory is in. not expected to reach even cat 1 status but expected to make landfall south of port charlotte as a tropical storm. looks like will pass just west of lake o. perfect landing. good news for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was almost on the news today.
you were probably too calm and collected. you didn't have that panic quality that makes for such good television.

edit: pretty good squall line just passing overhead. my garden couldn't be happier. all this water. the bamboo is going to be growing like crazy over the next few days.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I was almost on the news today . They wanted to interview me and show pictures of the supplies in my trunk . I had three huge containers of pool chlorine and the reportor thought I was preparing my pool for the hurricane but I was only buying some because I had a coupon for a free jug that ended today . Plus if he looked closely at my supplies he would have seen that I had milk, wine ( for the storm anxiety ) , a bag of chips (for stress eating ) and peanut butter .
Now, that's what I call a " Hurricane Preparedness Kit "!!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rich, if you had that Class A you could head for higher ground and still sleep in your own bed. Maybe next year.
Storm surge indeed-- my impression of that area is "pancake flat". Heck, Rich, just moving from your bedroom to your current motor home will probably double your elevation.

If you evacuate, then when you return you're going to have to hope that you don't find REW's Class A parked in your driveway... and your yard... and part of the street...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Storm surge indeed-- my impression of that area is "pancake flat". Heck, Rich, just moving from your bedroom to your current motor home will probably double your elevation.

If you evacuate, then when you return you're going to have to hope that you don't find REW's Class A parked in your driveway... and your yard... and part of the street...

We're at a 10.5' elevation on my street, about a mile from the coast as the crow flies. It's low, but not like the many 3' or lower properties, many of which have houses that are raised by 3-4' off grade. A surge would have to be mighty to reach us, as in a Category 4 or 5, or maybe a bad 3.

If the winds, the tides, and the intensity of the storm all converge, we're swimming. Short of that we're not immune but pretty safe from rising water. Falling water, i.e. rain-generated flooding is always a risk.

And, yes, a nice Class A and no job would have had me outta here yesterday heading for some nice woodsy park out of harm's way. That 1000 mile round trip would have probably cost me about $650 or so in fuel - well worth it in this context.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And, yes, a nice Class A and no job would have had me outta here yesterday heading for some nice woodsy park out of harm's way. That 1000 mile round trip would have probably cost me about $650 or so in fuel - well worth it in this context.
Diesel prices have dropped down near the $4/gal mark so it would cost you closer to $500 than to $650. You really need to adopt (and live by) the motto: "There is no evacuation like a Class A evacuation".

Maybe next year, eh?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just turned to The Weather Channel and Jim Cantori is standing on the beach in Naples. No wind and no rain although Fay is just a stones throw away. The talking heads are at a loss. Hopefully, Fay continues to deteriorate.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You really need to adopt (and live by) the motto: "There is no evacuation like a Class A evacuation".

Maybe next year, eh?
No, I suspect I'll have an evacuation well before then.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I suspect I'll have an evacuation well before then.
OK, point taken. Let's just hope this storm doesn't scare the evacuation out of you....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Not out of the woods yet. Forecasters are predicting that Fay will go out into the Atlantic, strengthen into a hurricane and make another Florida or Georgia landfall. Crazy 'cane:
Old 08-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #31

fay only seems crazy, apparently she's right on time...

http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/jacksonville.htm predicted that "statistically...this area should be affected next before the end of the 2009 season."

the path reminds me of a florida trip many years ago to visit my uncle who lived on the st. john in jax. grandpa kept driving around and around so that i would win the bet with my brother on when we'd arrive.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sweet - a near miss for my beach trip = great waves for me! (sorry florida...)
Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fay had negligible impact here in Sarasota. It will be interesting to see whether she does in fact go CAT 1 in the Atlantic and boomerang back into the north Florida or south Georgia coast.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Yes, It was a non event for me but I pretended it was a snow day and spent the day in my pj's .
Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Same here, blissfully boring. Still keeping a slight eye on her, though. Back to w*rk tomorrow, compressing two days into one probably.

Glad everyone's OK.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #36

Glad all you Floridians didn't get washed away
Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #37

Now you get to look for the newly upgraded TS Gustav.

Looks like a similar path...hope the ground dries some before he comes past Cuba.

Must be coming up on September and the busy season. sigh

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #38
Administrator

Fay turned out to be even more of a non-event here than anywhere as she is now just a tropical depression. It rained all day yesterday, with a few gusty winds, and today it hasn't really rained at all. I suppose our total rainfall was about an inch.

Gustav already? Guess I'd better go to the NHC site and check him out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #39

"Hopefully" the remnants of FAY will arrive in Central Ohio tomorrow. We can really use a good all day rain here. Looks like Gustav will actually miss Florida - which will allow some drying to take place there.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Still raining here off and on. Enough to keep it nice and soggy and me off the golf course. Of course I don't mind. I love being stuck in doors watching the talking heads discuss why the stock market sucks and why they see no reason why it shouldn't stay that way for months on end. But, it beats work.