FCC now allowing STB competition

So the cable/internet companies will change their billing from $49.99/month + $9.99 monthly rental fee to a $59.99/month cable bill. Such a steal! :facepalm:

Very likely. As long as they monopoly/oligopoly powers, it's like squeezing a balloon - the cost will just pop out somewhere else, with no change in overall volume.

It's like when Sen Durbin in IL pushed a bill to lower debit card transaction fees, and touted it as some great move for the people. The companies just tacked on a monthly charge to the cards. Surprise (not!)!. The fundamentals need to change, otherwise it's just squeezing that balloon.

-ERD50

Interesting take on this can be found here:

What the FCC's open cable box plan will and won't do

Note especially this image:

https://cms-images.idgesg.net/images/article/2016/02/fccsettop-100646596-orig.jpg

In other words... this proposal is AllVid (pretty much). It gets rid of STBs (as long as you have IP video capable televisions, with the software necessary to tune into the specific published standard IP video channels your service provider will make available), and it gives other suppliers the ability to design your viewing experience (perhaps even embedded in your televisions). As long as MVPDs have customers using the old service, the new service will be provided by a network gateway in the home (which, of course, you'd have to rent). Eventually, MVPDs could move away from that, effectively cutting off customers with equipment that currently works (i.e., like TiVo Series 3 boxes were cut off by MVPDs switching to MPEG4 compression).

So - it moves conditional access (the Digital Rights management in the home) from the settop or cablecard - into the cable modem.

I don't see that as a win for consumers. Especially those who've already purchased 3rd party hardware (cable modems, tivo boxes).

I suspect that this proposal will go the way the mandated "downloadable security" from 10 years ago went.... no where.

On a side note - my former employer laid off 10% of their workforce this week. All because there is more consolodation in the settop manufacturer industry. (ARRIS acquired Pace). I had some good friends affected - but the severance package was pretty sweet - so not many are crying. Only 2 people from my former group were effected.

Just curious.... How does one put a 'Set Top Box' on top of a modern flat screen TV? It looks pretty perilous to me.

So - it moves conditional access (the Digital Rights management in the home) from the settop or cablecard - into the cable modem. I don't see that as a win for consumers. Especially those who've already purchased 3rd party hardware (cable modems, tivo boxes).
Opening a market up to competition is a win for the competitors who now can sell products into that space. The change in technology will be a win for both competitors and incumbent suppliers, since we'll all now have to buy new equipment or adapters.

I suspect that this proposal will go the way the mandated "downloadable security" from 10 years ago went.... no where.
The players are different this time. With Apple and Google interested, that could make things happen. Apple, especially, is all about trying to find ways to get customers to buy more things more ways. And Google would find a way to have people desperately want to watch Downton Abbey from the screen on front of a refrigerator.

Back
Top Bottom