Join Early Retirement Today

Fear of failure?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fear of failure?

I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks now and I've been thinking about how my motivation has waned lately and I think it is because my father passed away a few months ago. Along with all the normal feelings of loss I don't have him watching my successes or failures anymore. He had Alzheimer's disease so I know the details of my life were beyond him, but he was still interested (even if I had to tell him again and again) up until the end. It seems odd to have that feeling that I wanted my dad to see me as a success even after I had passed the half century mark.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sorry for your loss. I think it's natural to want our loved ones, whether family or friends, to be proud of us and share our accomplishments.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks now and I've been thinking about how my motivation has waned lately and I think it is because my father passed away a few months ago. Along with all the normal feelings of loss I don't have him watching my successes or failures anymore. He had Alzheimer's disease so I know the details of my life were beyond him, but he was still interested (even if I had to tell him again and again) up until the end. It seems odd to have that feeling that I wanted my dad to see me as a success even after I had passed the half century mark.
My condolences on the passing of your father.

Probably you are still working your way through the grieving process. It's totally normal for you to want your father to have seen you as a success.

Things will get better but sometimes it takes longer than we think to move on after a parent passes away.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I think it's natural to want our loved ones, whether family or friends, to be proud of us and share our accomplishments.
+1
Old 10-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Olbidness, I am very sorry for your loss. My Dad has been dead for 17 years, yet I still think of him every day.

Ha
Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

So sorry to hear to hear about your dad.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Perfectly normal feeling.
When I was driving my father to the hospital shortly before he died, he turned and paid me the only compliment I ever got from him in my life. That was 19 years ago and I still smile with pleasure when I think of it.

Eventually you'll get to that point and just remember the good parts of your experience with him.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My father passed from complications related to dementia as well. That was 11 years ago this December. I miss him and think about him nearly every day when something reminds me of him. My father was my best friend. He was the first person I would want to share my success and joy with. He was the first person whose counsel I would seek when I was feeling concern or anxiety. There is no replacing that relationship, my world changed. Perhaps it affected my motivation but it maybe more affected by just growing older, I am 58 and more tired of the rat race. The one thing I know for sure, if he could send me a message, he would tell me to enjoy life, enjoy time with friends while I have both my life and health to do it with. I am sorry for your loss, and I can relate to how you feel.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
gone traveling

I am very sorry for your loss. My dad died when I was 22, he was 57. He owned a deli and worked 7 days a week like an animal. I had been married about 15 months and had just brought home my son. I take some comfort in thinking he might see my sucess, I also pray to him thru the last 30 plus years to help me when times got rough. This is the reason I retired early, he never got one day of retirement. Honor your father by representing your family name in the best possible light.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks now and I've been thinking about how my motivation has waned lately and I think it is because my father passed away a few months ago.
Losing a parent is one of life's worst moments, and I would suspect it's a turning point in many of our lives where we step back and evaluate where we're going and what's really important. I know that's exactly what I went through several years ago, and I believe it was a major factor in my decision to retire from full-time employment.