Join Early Retirement Today

Feeling frustrated in "new/old" workplace
Old 03-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Feeling frustrated in "new/old" workplace

Just a pity rant of sorts...

Well, my military retirement has come and passed - it appears my first "check of the month" (pension) will hit my account on 4/1 (how appropriate!! ) I returned to my state gov job I have been on military leave from - that was a zoo in itself - ended up in a different office that happens to be closer to home with an against the flow commute - woot! As soon as my buyback into the pension system for the time I've been gone goes through, I'm dropping my retirement paperwork. I'm keeping this information close, but it is VERY difficult to be a motivated employee, knowing I'm only going to be here for 6-9 months. I've already put a hunk of $$ into the system when I bought my previous military time, so just collecting the scraps I've currently got in the system at age 60 (not sticking this time out/buying back) feels wrong,...so, this is a necessary evil for the greater financial good of our ER. I'm hoping with the humor, heckling, and wisdom from this group, this time will go by quickly!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
I'm hoping with the humor, heckling, and wisdom from this group, this time will go by quickly!
OK, I'll go first.

"Working in a gummit job and not feeling motivated? You should fit right in!"

(Note to the Politically Correct Police - it's a joke. Motivation is a personal trait, not a function of working for the public sector.)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Just a pity rant of sorts...

... but it is VERY difficult to be a motivated employee, knowing I'm only going to be here for 6-9 months.
As Dory36 used to say, your FI bucket is full and your BS bucket immediately started overflowing!

This reminds me of Intel's sabbatical program in the 1990s. People used to leave the office for a few months, return for a few weeks, and realize how bad the Boiled Frog Syndrome really was. They'd check the strike price of their options and pull the golden ripcord for FI. I think the post-sabbatical retention rate was about 10%.

If your state job gets too frustrating, could you take an unpaid leave of absence to spend June-August enjoying the New Orleans sunshine & fresh air again? It's almost as nice as the climate of your current location, right?

But seriously, as one of the most knowledgeable military retirees around, you're welcome to send over a "retirement lessons learned" guest post anytime.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
This reminds me of Intel's sabbatical program in the 1990s. People used to leave the office for a few months, return for a few weeks, and realize how bad the Boiled Frog Syndrome really was. They'd check the strike price of their options and pull the golden ripcord for FI. I think the post-sabbatical retention rate was about 10%.
Intel's program was legendary among us in other Megacorps. We used to ask our Megacorps why we couldn't have that?

Well, Nords reminds us why other Megacorps didn't.

In my Megacorp, a team member managed to squeeze out an unpaid leave. This was in the manual, but was very had to obtain since it was at management discretion. He got it by basically saying he'd probably quit anyway. As I recall, he went to burning man, before it was a thing. Anyway, he came back and lasted 6 months and was gone.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
As Dory36 used to say, your FI bucket is full and your BS bucket immediately started overflowing!

Quote:
... to spend June-August enjoying the New Orleans sunshine & fresh air again?

Quote:
But seriously, as one of the most knowledgeable military retirees around, you're welcome to send over a "retirement lessons learned" guest post anytime.
Almost wrapped things up on the flip side...working on it!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

“Workplace”

I think we’ve found the problem...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
down to the wire, frustrated, work