Feeling old yet?

I don't have a smartphone, iPhone, or whatever. I just have a regular cell phone so I use e-mail more than texts. I do, however, use my cell phone as my watch and see no point in wasting money on a wristwatch. I could have millions of dollars and still would not own a wristwatch.

F.Y.I i'm 31(not old or young)

I have a watch, will probably always have a watch. What I don't have is a watch that costs more than $50 :whistle:

I have three watches:

1. a 30 year old Seiko that my parents gave me when I was a teenager. It worked fine but has sat in a draw for the last few years because I usually wear #2 or #3
2. a ridiculously expensive watch that my wife gave me
3. a cheap running watch

Sometime I don't wear any of them and just rely on my mobile or Blackberry if I need to know what time it is.

Now that I am retired, my watch is more often useful to determine the day of the week and date, than to determine the time. It's a lot faster to check such things on my watch than to fish around in my purse for my cell phone.

Most expensive watches, IMHO, are not attractive, and a gold watch would get all scratched up and people would always be trying to mug you for it. I like the understated elegance of the Rado line, the ones with ceramic bands.

These folks who rely on a cell phone or PDA for everything 24/7 - are they perpetually hooked to a charger, or what? Those little batteries run down fast.

Amethyst

I wear a watch with a white background and big numbers. In the remaining months of my job before I retire, I need to un-noticedly be able to check the time and I have to be able to see it at a glance so that a client doesn't run over his or her allotted counseling time. I also need a second hand for other tasks. I had a brief flirt with digital but didn't really like it much except a digital that actually had a watch with a clock and digital readout.

I lost my most recent watch on a hiking trip somehwere in the on a trail on Mount Desert island. So I went to Walmart and pick up a new quartz watch that is more accurate than watch I could have bought in the early 70's for a giant total of $7.50.

It always amazes me that the poorest of us in the USA live higher on the hog in many ways in 2010 than the richest among us in 1910.

I've got three solar watches, so in theory, I shouldn't have to change the battery for the rest of my life.

None of them are on the very expensive side. I paid for about $100, $60, and $40 (didn't buy them all at once). The $100 is the most dressy and I wear when I attend weddings, etc. But the band and watch is a little heavy so I don't wear it much. The $60 is a digital, mutli-functional, chrono one. One nice feature of this is that it automatically syncs the time with one of those atomic clocks in Colorado so I refer to this the exact correct time. Also this one has a 24 hour stopwatch. The $40 one has both "hands -- big hand, little hand) and a small lcd display for day, date, year, stopwatch, dual time. I almost decided to donate this away as at first the contrast was hard to read and a shortcoming is that stopwatch only goes for an hour. But now (though the stopwatch is still to short), I find that of the three, I use this watch the most. This one is the most comfortable on my wrist and my mind pretty much adjusted to the lack of contrast.

With all that said, I pretty much don't use my digital watches as alarm clocks as I like having my cell phone as the alarm clock.

I know, seems trivial, but for me it's a lot more convenient to just flick my wrist to see the date/time than to reach for the phone in my holster.

I love watches . I have a large collection including several antique ones . I consider them like jewelry and change them with my outfits and mood .

I love watches . I have a large collection including several antique ones . I consider them like jewelry and change them with my outfits and mood .

How many pairs of shoes do you have?

I don't have a smartphone, iPhone, or whatever. I just have a regular cell phone so I use e-mail more than texts. I do, however, use my cell phone as my watch and see no point in wasting money on a wristwatch. I could have millions of dollars and still would not own a wristwatch.

F.Y.I i'm 31(not old or young)

For less than the price of a slimmed down McDonald's meal you could indulge in a nice new quartz watch at Walwart for the astondingly expensive price of $7.50 + tax. Splurge!

They have one there that I almost got but the size of the dial was bigger than my wrist. I would have looked like I was wearing a LENS from Arisia(from EE "Doc" Smith's sci fi Lensman Series).

HC

p.s.: you're almost half my age, face it. Youth is wasted on the young. Its sort of like the advertising phrase: "ITS A JEEP THING. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!"

http://www.hulu.com/watch/67554/outer-limits-stream-of-consciousness
This is where we are heading.

Stream of Consciousness (The Outer Limits) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ryan's injury keeps him from falling under the sway of the Stream, leaving him the only person who can stop it. The Stream will not allow itself to be shut down, however, and it commands the humans under its control to defend itself from Ryan. In the end, Ryan succeeds in shutting down the Stream and saving mankind. Cut off from the mental crutch humanity has used for so long, the entire population (save Ryan) are reduced to a child-like mental state. Ryan finds himself needing to teach mankind the old ways of acquiring information again — from books.

or this
http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1206/?episode=1206

The Nine Million Names of God

This was put in the wrong spot.. and I moved it. Moderators and Adm can delete this post if they wish.

I've not worn a watch in 40 yrs but can tell the time within 15-20 minutes. There is so rarely a need for more accuracy than that at least in my life. Now if I just knew what day it was...

I've not worn a watch in 40 yrs but can tell the time within 15-20 minutes. There is so rarely a need for more accuracy than that at least in my life. Now if I just knew what day it was...
Same here. True serenity is achieved by rising above the need to wear a timepiece.

I tell the days of the week by shaving on Monday & Thursday. Of course that requires additional data to resolve the ambiguity of discriminating among Mon/Thu, Tue/Fri, or Wed/Sat, but I figure that out with trash pickups on Tue & Fri. Eventually I hope to ascend to a new level by rising above the need to care what day it is!

Or as Janis Joplin said in the live version of "Ball and Chain": "It's all the same effing day man."

Working toward my Curmudgeon certificate:

What's any of this have to do with feeling old? Gizmos and gadgets, bah humbug. What the heck is an ipod, an' this texting stuff?

Besides I like the look of my very thin Seiko watch. The time on it is close enough for ballpark.

Do have a cellphone, it only is useful for voice, no graphics stuff.

When I read the title, "Feeling Old Yet?", I expected to see this thread as a place posters come to complain about the crow feet on their face, their creaking back, their popping knees, their hot flashes, or osteoporotic spinal column, their need to go to the bathroom several times a night, etc., etc...

But it's about watches :confused:

+1

Back
Top Bottom