Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much money would you need to feel rich ?
500,000 2 1.55%
1,000,000 16 12.40%
2,000,000 29 22.48%
5,000,000 48 37.21%
10,000,000 34 26.36%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Feeling rich ?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

People dont want to do their own interpretations and develop their own opinions anymore. They like it pre-filtered and pre-spun by someone that thinks like they do. Simplifies their life and removes a lot of the complications of having to think for yourself.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

So the people who answer "I don't know" on surveys just haven't checked in with their favorite media hypocrite talking head on that issue yet, right? Where is that island you are sending all these people to? Australia isn't big enough...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Eh, okay you forced my hand. I was just going to take them out to sea on a c-5 and push them out the back. People who agree to take a poll and then after being asked one simple question cant form an opinion when the choices are already laid out for them are probably the root of all evil in the universe
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Can you tell it's a Monday? I took some crabby pills with my coffee. I really hate work on Mondays. By Friday I only hate it.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When Hastert had a military jet, no one was complaining.. Gotta protect the Speaker in times of terra, ya know.. Third in line.

Republicans: suck it up and move along to the next "scandal"
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Can you tell it's a Monday? I took some crabby pills with my coffee. I really hate work on Mondays. By Friday I only hate it.
Oh shoot, is it monday already?

Hell, I have to put my trash out tonight. Once monday night football goes off the air i'm screwed for remembering to put out the cans.

(yeah, i'm ducking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
Gotta protect the Speaker in times of terra
Is it all the way up to "terra" now? Last time I heard George talk I think he was barely getting out 'ter'. In fact, it was closer to 'te'
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

2nd Amendment is looking better all the time!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Still in my pajamas too. Mmmm...this is good coffee...I think i'll go make some huevos rancheros now, have a nice breakfast with my family...
Old 02-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #89
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
People who agree to take a poll and then after being asked one simple question cant form an opinion when the choices are already laid out for them are probably the root of all evil in the universe
Sorry. Left turns are the root of all evil.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

NASCAR? :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
From what I have seen on the TV shows, you still have to go through security if you charter... maybe I will ask someone at work who has flown on our mega corp jet...
My friend told me that one of the great benefits of chartering flights was that he didn't have to deal with post-911 airport security. These private charters don't use the same terminals (if any) that the commercial flights do. I'm sure there is some level of security, I guess it's just "invisible" to the paying client.

He does not charter for company business, but for personal pleasure trips.

Of course some people charter private jets for their own personal security!

Audrey
Old 02-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Still in my pajamas too. Mmmm...this is good coffee...I think i'll go make some huevos rancheros now, have a nice breakfast with my family...
... and then go back to bed!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
Sorry. Left turns are the root of all evil.
Ah, you must live in california, where all left turns are illegal because no indigenous drivers can successfully execute one without crashing into someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
... and then go back to bed!
Bah, I have the in-laws coming over in a couple of hours. I'm making short ribs with roast fingerling potatoes and caesar salad. So no nap for me until after they leave.

So see Laurence, work does have its benefits. You rarely get visits from the in-laws to your office...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #94

Quote:
california, where all left turns are illegal because no indigenous drivers can successfully execute one without crashing into someone.
What is it with California and left turns..?

I got a whole run-down from my sister when we were in LA on how they are to be handled, to wit: when the left turn arrow turns green, you must NOT execute the left turn, because people in oncoming traffic will run you over against the light. They expect to do this, and it is very bad form to countermand them. OTOH, because the light is so short, IF people are stopped or miraculously you have the chance, you must JUMP the green left in order to have any hope in hell of getting through the intersection, because the lights are all too short.

Now, this is the main LA rule: You MUST also turn left if you arrive just AFTER the left turn light has gone red, because "everyone expects it." They will honk at you like banshees if you don't. 5-6 cars get through after the red left, normally.

Pedestrians crossing perpendicularly in crosswalks have no rights. She vociferously defended a starlet accused of running down a ped. in a crosswalk. The defense: "She was making a left turn!!! EVERYone knows when you're making a left turn.. " yada yada yada.

I was never so happy as after that trip to get back to MA and "normal" things, like rotaries!

East & West Coast: two cultures divided by common traffic rules.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #95

Quote:

I was never so happy as after that trip to get back to MA and "normal" things, like rotaries!

East & West Coast: two cultures divided by common traffic rules.
I learned that the hard way too, almost died driving in CA.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Same here. Instead of lurching out and cutting someone off, people unexpectedly stopped right in front of me and I dang near rear ended them with the gas pedal floored.

Rotaries are the bomb. Unless you're in england and still working out that driving on the left side stuff.

I really enjoyed how MA kept flip-flopping the laws on who had right of way in a rotary until nobody remembered which way it was. Sure made things move quicker and driving a lot more entertaining.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #97

They did away with the Sagamore rotary to get to the Cape, now it's a fly over.

http://www.capecodonline.com/special...sagamore19.htm

Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

That bridge used to scare the crap out of me when I was a little kid and we went camping on the cape, which had about four people living on it permanently at the time.

I used to have to hide in the footwell in the back seat when we went over it.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #99

nooo noooooooo
The dumbing-down of America. Say it isn't so!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #100

Quote:
nooo noooooooo
The dumbing-down of America. Say it isn't so!
Yes, sad but true. But don't fret, you still have the Roosevelt Circle and the one at Rte 60, oh and don't forget the wonderful rotary off Rte 93 at 110 in Andover, my favorite especially when the geese are crossing.