Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much money would you need to feel rich ?
500,000 2 1.54%
1,000,000 16 12.31%
2,000,000 29 22.31%
5,000,000 49 37.69%
10,000,000 34 26.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Feeling rich ?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Feeling rich ?

I'm taking a class in financial planning and this is one of our questions .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Feeling rich ?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I guess you can "feel rich" without being rich, but that seems too "deep" for me...............

I still have the "financial goals list" DW and I put together when we decided we wanted to FIRE about 10 years ago. This was before I became an advisor or anything: 20 YEAR- PLAN

1)$2 million in retirement and other investment accounts

2)$100,000 in cash/rainy day money

3)No debts, mortgage paid off, etc.

I figured at the time (before Firecalc) that I could take 5% a year forever without losing principal. Of course, this was 1996, and I am sure I was WAY too conservative then, as the S&P was doing 25% a year.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

With our lifestyle and life expectancy, we can do fine on $1m. However, we would have to monitor our expenses .

I voted $2m because for us, we could ease up a bit on the spreadsheets.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I are in our early sixties. No debt (nada; home, another piece of property, three cars, credit cards: nothing). I earn around $150 a year, put away a good chunk in both qualified accounts and after tax. Have around $130 in a couple of those 5% internet banks. Too much cash, but we do want to buy a place down south when we sell that piece of land we own on the Cape. Plus some money tucked away in various qualified account. Anyway, when I retire I'll be drawing (eventually) on three (defined) pensions, just breaking six figures by a few thou.

Do I feel rich? Yes. Are we? By the numbers, of course not! But we live below our means. We've always been conservative in our life style. Comfortable but conservative.

Yet, if we see it and want it we buy it. A comfortable feeling.

Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich = 3 times what you have now = $ 5 M for us.

Really rich -- that's different.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could feel comfortable at almost any level, especially if I had a steady income.

But, to me, feeling rich means having more than I can conceivably need or use. $10M would be the lower end of "rich" in terms of being supersaturated with money, I think.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #7

$500k nice life in thailand. many thai will think i'm rich but i won't. i spend most of my days playing in my dugout canoe.

$1mm ok i had to add selling the house to move aboard but it was worth it. i make the bridges open for me as i come down the intracoastal. people stuck in the traffic i cause think i'm rich. but i know better. the boat is named "poor me".

$2mm i got enough to go around the world. though not in the style i'd like to become accustomed, the natives of the south pacific islands think i'm pretty rich.

at $5mm i'm sitting pretty good but i still wash my own boat and change the oil even though i have enough for a crew of one who helps.

at $10mm i've got a crew of 2 and enough for a captain later in life when i become even lazier than i am today. everyone who isn't on a mega yacht thinks i'm rich and finally i am starting to believe them.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

How about $100M as a figure to add to the poll?

I don't see $10M as rich....way above average...but not really rich. $100M to me is RICH. That buys a lot of freedom and a lot of hired help to deal with the crappier parts of life that is hard to fund with a lot less loot.

I will never see this kind of wealth but that is what RICH is to me.

BTW, my mother thinks I am rich already...I guess to her I am. But not to me. I guess the more you have the larger the $$$ threshold to being RICH.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the wealthiest men in America lived in a small town just down the road from where I live. He was the founder & owner of one of the largest privately held companies in the United States and was #56 on the Forbes list.

Someone asked him "Marv, just how much money is enough ?" He answered them "Just a little bit more".

He died too.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #10

I put down $5M as the level for which I'd feel rich. Now I'd be FI/RE at a much lower level than that, but at $5M I'd feel pretty stinking rich. Sure, there would still be plenty of things that would be out of my reach but hey, I'm pretty easily amused by cheap stuff. I like convertibles, but I don't need a supercharged Bentley. A '67 Catalina with a little bondo here and there suits me just fine. :P
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #11

Twice as much as I have .

... would always be true.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #12

$100mm barely buys me this puppy. but i would have to continue living below my means.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 02-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #13

Present time, I don't have an answer. But I felt VERY RICH in 1993 when my net worth reached $40,000. Just 2 years before that it was negative.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
Someone asked him "Marv, just how much money is enough ?" He answered them "Just a little bit more".
That's the scary answer. Keep working to get just that little bit more...then you die. The real public service this board does is help some of us figure out when enough is enough.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
$100mm barely buys me this puppy. but i would have to continue living below my means.

Ok..............Tiger Woods............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #16

Funny, I think I've had $1M in my head for 30 years. But actually thinking about it, I went for $2M.

Coach
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

Ok..............Tiger Woods............
http://www.privateradio.org/blog/wp-...igersyacht.jpg

Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I always thought it was about 30% more than you have.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Present time, I don't have an answer. But I felt VERY RICH in 1993 when my net worth reached $40,000. Just 2 years before that it was negative.
I also have never felt richer than I did when I first had $30k in the bank.

I would be very comfortable with $5M, but not really rich until I hit something more.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I clicked on $5M but that was just a "comfortable" with risk number. Really rich, maybe $100M; but probably always more than what you have.