Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sorry you're hurting but glad you can share with all of us here. Lots of others have been through this (unfortunately) and have grown from the experience and moved on. It's better to find out nor rather than later. Wishing you better tomorrows

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry for your troubles. But the sun will keep coming up and who knows, you might just run into another lady that will make the pain go away.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My condolences too, obgyn. Many good thoughts and sentiments in this thread, all I will add is to try to allow yourself to heal at your own pace. Don't try to rush or force it, but if possible don't let it linger too long. I think all our thoughts and good wishes are with you.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear this. Hang in there--one door closes, another opens.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Sorry for your troubles. But the sun will keep coming up and who knows, you might just run into another lady that will make the pain go away.
Dawg's post reminds me of this song. It's often helped when I'm feeling blue. Hope it helps you too.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #46

Its always good to have someone to talk to and you certainly have friends here. We can all empathize with how painful a breakup can be. Keep yourself occupied, try some new things, meet some new people and I'm sure it will get better for you.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #47

Sorry to hear this, I know this is a sucker punch, you're a good guy and deserve better. Nothing will help now but time will dull the pain. Keep yourself busy and don't dwell on why.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #48

I am so sorry to read this.
Would counselling be an option for you alone or with GF? Either to find out if the relationship still has value and could be improved or to overcome the loss and learn from it for the one(s) to come.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Concentrate on the future, as that is where you will spend the rest of your life.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Obgyn,

It may not enter your mind right now, the thought of reconciliation with her but Please, no matter what she may say to you, don't get back with her. My older brother repeatedly forgave his wife who cheated on him continually and then toward his later years, she just left him altogether, took over 65% of his net worth, and at a time when he was so much older and would have a harder time to meet other women! So be kind to yourself. Don't even consider getting back with her. My 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #51

Purron's video made me think of another song that I've sent to friends who were sad about the end of a relationship. So sorry for your loss, ob.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
Obgyn,

It may not enter your mind right now, the thought of reconciliation with her but Please, no matter what she may say to you, don't get back with her. My older brother repeatedly forgave his wife who cheated on him continually and then toward his later years, she just left him altogether, took over 65% of his net worth, and at a time when he was so much older and would have a harder time to meet other women! So be kind to yourself. Don't even consider getting back with her. My 2 cents.
+1

Very sage advice is given here. I am a woman, and if I were ever to even consider cheating on a man, it is already over in my mind. I would end the relationship FIRST, given that I am an honest person by nature.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #53

Obgyn65 - you are obviously a person who spends a lot of time thinking about, and helping others. It's this quality that will help you to keep looking out at the world and get through this rough patch. As someone else mentioned, it's a real sucker punch when something like this happens, but you will get through it.

You spend a lot of time helping others, so make sure to put some time aside for yourself so that you can heal. You'll be fine
Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Obgyn, I can sympathize. DW never cheated on me and I'm quite sure she wouldn't have -- but in the last year she has dumped me. The final "I quit, I'm not going to the marriage counselor any more" point didn't come until about 2 months ago so the pain is still pretty raw. This is a woman I have loved and lived with for over 20 years, and I looked forward to growing old with her.

Wish you were closer to Colorado. A beer/wine and a sympathetic ear helps a lot.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

She's a fool.

Remember - the best revenge is living well.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #56

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and support. I have read all the postings several times, and all of them bring comfort.

Thank you for taking the time to post. It is very nice to see that so many people on this website care.

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart.

Take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #57

Update : I have invited an ex girlfriend (not the cheater) to come to my place this weekend and spend some time with me. She is a nurse practitioner, very nice and smart. Not sure what to expect, but at least I am feeling better. Just wanted to share the good news ...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #58

Hey, congrats! Things are looking up and I'm happy you have this meeting to look forward to. I sure hope it goes well for you both. Maybe this will pick you up a little. Let us know how it goes. I'll be looking for your post.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

That'll be nice to have an evening with an old friend.....enjoy!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #60

Good for you and obgyn65 and I hope you have a nice time!!