Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Those jeans didn't make you feel that you were trading cash for value and you'd have suffered instant buyer's remorse, along with the pain of spending additional time in Nordstrom Rack trying to get a refund (not just store credit).

Last February, when I was freezing my assets off, I bought a $30 pair of jeans in a San Antonio Mervyn's. It's the first pair of jeans that I've bought in 10 years, though, so I understand the "need" not want part.

For extra "guy bonus points" you could drive your spouse nuts by finding a pair that fit you perfectly off the rack and don't need hemming. Of course it'd be a grand slam if you could make it happen on the first pair and then announce that you're finally done shopping and boy are you exhausted...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you really mean that you feel "guilty?"

I think I'd feel guilty if my spending deprived a loved one of something, or put me WAY back on my retirement, or was getting to be a serious habit.

If it was just one thing once in a great while... then no.

I have done this same "pick it up and walk around with it" routine in the thrift store. Not because the item is expensive or I can't afford it, but because I'm not quite sure I need it in the closet with ALL the other stuff I've got. It's more a question of being unsure of myself than of guilt, I think.

On the other hand, I've decided to take up biking with a friend, who just upgraded to a $650 hybrid (Cannondale Roadmaster, on sale, for those of you who care about such things). I know he does a LOT of work looking for the best item, so once he'd decided what he wanted I just told the clerk "give me what he gets in my size."

Clerk and friend were both appalled, but I know my mind on this, so it was far less painful to pay the money than to pour over brochures for six months.

But to answer your question, I don't think it's an issue. It's the folks who drop that kind of money repeatedly and without a single doubt that have the problem.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:42 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I solved that problem years ago. I do not shop at Nordstroms, Saks, and the like. But I do often buy name brand clothes are discounters. There are a number around. They sell overstock, etc.

DW does the same... but of course, she is a bit more fashion conscious than I am.

I was looking at dress slacks on LLBean the other day (for w*rk). They were a wool blend. I shook my head. I am going back to the local discounter. I have purchased 100% wool trousers (name brand) that had a retail labeled cost of $100+ for about $30. Same with 100% pinpoint cotton button down collar shirts. At Macy's anywhere form $45 - $60 for the nicer shirts. I get them for $19.95 at the discounter. Shoes.. same thing. And these are not seconds.

Long live overstock discounter retailers!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
It seems like I feel guilty whenever I spend any money. Personally, I don't think this is healthy. I think I should be able to spend money sometimes and not feel guilty about it.

Anybody else run into this issue, or do I need to seek professional help?
Yep. Ever since I was about twelve and lost my piano lesson money. Got my butt whipped but good when the Old Man got home. I guess you could say he impressed me about the value of money. It's been difficult to turn it loose ever since. DW has told me for years that I need professional help, but it's probably too late to worry about it now.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #25

I can't wait to retire.....I am going to spend it in wide leg sweatpants, tanks, jeans, and sweatshirts! I usually go to the thrift stores and New York and Company when they have their mega sales at the end of the season....with the coupons!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #26
Administrator

Maybe the problem is that the Nordstroms "vibe" was affecting you. The Racks original claim to fame was selling business clothes at deep discounts. Now think about this and then be thankful that you recognized the danger - business clothes are for people who get up everyday and go to ****!

Try going to a store for farmers or ranchers aka the feed store. High quality clothes at fair(ish) prices. My local Ranch supply sells, Carhardt, Wrangler and Lee - all well made and all under 30 bucks (retail). They have sizes from fence post thin to 5X.
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Now think about this and then be thankful that you recognized the danger - business clothes are for people who get up everyday and go to ****!
Well, considering that denim made its first big inroads in the businesses of herding cattle and shoveling tons of manure, perhaps the analogy is appropriate...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote