Join Early Retirement Today

Female plumber - finally, in 2019?!
Old 05-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Female plumber - finally, in 2019?!

She inspected all the plumbing in our new/old house, made a number of recommendations, and replaced the wax rings on two toilets.

It struck me that for all the decades I've been a homeowner, hiring many, many skilled tradespeople, she was the first female plumber who's ever worked on our home. And every other tradesperson we've hired has been a man. Not because we don't want women, but because women simply weren't on the company's technical staff.

I asked her how she got into plumbing. She worked as a janitor after school (high school) and learned a lot about plumbing. Then, she tried going to school to learn medical coding, but found it boring. Next, she trained in auto mechanics, but found out that plumbing paid better.

It just surprises me, in this day and age, not to encounter more women in skilled trades, especially home services. In the mid-20th century, my Dad was an electrician who worked on heavy construction sites where the work was physically demanding (even for him as he aged), and even he said a woman electrician would be just as good as a man, especially in the home where the physical demands were not as great. But there were no women in his union at all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is in Canada, but my auto mechanic is female. It's my first. It's a good thing IMO.

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My father's female cousin has been a licensed plumber for about 30 years now. One of the first for sure.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #4

Dad was a union plumber and ran into his first female colleague in the early 80s.

Here's the weird thing, even though they were starting to get females in the union, at union meetings, the bosses would still refer to the members as "brothers." I know, because dad took me to one. The story of being at a union meeting as a teenager is for another thread. Let's just say it was fascinating.
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Dad was a union plumber and ran into his first female colleague in the early 80s.

Here's the weird thing, even though they were starting to get females in the union, at union meetings, the bosses would still refer to the members as "brothers." I know, because dad took me to one. The story of being at a union meeting as a teenager is for another thread. Let's just say it was fascinating.
Maybe just me, but I always think, for lack of a better word, feels weird in a mixed group of males and females and the group gets referred to as "hey guys". I've seen that on newscasts with the male and female anchors refers to as "guys".
Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

Female apprentice plumber replaced a shower cartridge for me
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #7

I've encountered only one- 4 years ago. Not work I'd want to do, but very glad those jobs are open to women who want to do them. In general, I love seeing "outliers", whether they're men teaching kindergarten or female plumbers.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is about time. There is nothing as disgusting as a male plumber's butt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crack.jpg (12.6 KB, 296 views)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This lady had no such issues. Her shirt stayed firmly tucked into her jeans, even when reseating our toilets (I was curious about that whole toilet wax ring process, so I peeked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Old 05-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Maybe just me, but I always think, for lack of a better word, feels weird in a mixed group of males and females and the group gets referred to as "hey guys". I've seen that on newscasts with the male and female anchors refers to as "guys".
That saying was standard in my megacorps. The ladies didn't seem to mind.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
....... (I was curious about that whole toilet wax ring process, so I peeked).
I would have watched, too.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I generally referred to groups of co-workers as "People," but "guys" was also used and nobody seemed to get offended.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Here's the weird thing, even though they were starting to get females in the union, at union meetings, the bosses would still refer to the members as "brothers."
Well, a lot of unions had (maybe still have) "brotherhood" in the name. My sister is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and I'm a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society. We're both mothers!

One other largely-male profession is commercial airline piloting. When I was in the airport with my 5-year old granddaughter and we saw a female pilot, I told her, "that lady with the strips on her jacket flies a plane. Would you like to do that?" She didn't express any great interest but I wanted to let her know what was possible, without making it sound unusual.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I generally referred to groups of co-workers as "People," but "guys" was also used and nobody seemed to get offended.
Maybe it is just me then?

I too remember back at megacorp "guys" used to refer to the group. I preferred to say "everyone" or "the group" as when I hear "guys" I think of guys night out the say way as "girls" as girls night out.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

since no one else has asked, I'll bite

did she have the requisite butt crack?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I've encountered only one- 4 years ago. Not work I'd want to do, but very glad those jobs are open to women who want to do them. In general, I love seeing "outliers", whether they're men teaching kindergarten or female plumbers.
Unfortunately, the fear of false accusations probably deters a lot of very qualified men from teaching and other jobs that puts them in close contact with underage females. It only takes is one upset or angry girl to make a false accusation that destroys someone's career and reputation. Why would anyone risk it?
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

And I was a "graybeard" in my profession, even though I (thankfully) don't have a beard. If someone comes up with a really catchy female version of these various old terms, I'm sure it will catch on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Well, a lot of unions had (maybe still have) "brotherhood" in the name. My sister is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and I'm a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society. We're both mothers!

l.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Maybe it is just me then?

I too remember back at megacorp "guys" used to refer to the group. I preferred to say "everyone" or "the group" as when I hear "guys" I think of guys night out the say way as "girls" as girls night out.
While most women won't complain (because that's low on the totem pole), I don't think I've ever heard any airline announcement using it. Pilot's always say "well, folks..." It's just one of those things.

As far as female plumbers, I've had more than one plumber too large (male) to fit under my sink or arms are too big to maneuver something, where they've had to call in someone smaller to help finish a job.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Not even a unflushed toilet full of feces?
Old 05-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Administrator

That’s gross.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbers, skilled trades, women in trades