Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Greyhound? Are you sure it wasn't a Shar Pei before its "treatments"?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most of those non-invasive things are either temporary or not really do much at all. If you know it won't last, that is fine. But it can't be compared to something like a true neck lift, for example.

I recently visited a new primary care doctor. On the forms I filled out as a first time patient. there was a brief mention that he offers some cosmetic stuff (I think maybe Botox and stuff like that). The form asked if I was interested in receiving information about what they offer. I thought that was a good way to do it. They let you know that they do that kind of thing and ask if you want to know more. But, if you say no you don't hear anything more about it.

I am by no means against cosmetic surgery or even stuff like Botox. I haven't done any of it yet, but am totally open to doing it. But, I will go to a plastic surgeon for that kind of thing.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:57 AM   #43

Botox has some medical indications. A physician friend of mine with chronic headaches to the point that it made it difficult to work was given Botox by her neurologist and it changed her life.

But I cringe at all the cosmetic procedures being offered by doctors who sign up for a weekend course in order to get some extra cash.

I would look for a new doctor. I would also write a letter to the doctor explaining the loss of trust caused by his behavior. He's probably a nice guy who doesn't realize the chilling effect his approach is having on the doctor patient relationship. A couple of letters from long time patients may make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #44

If you are happy with the quality of care you receive, why change? You might find another office that does not engage in such poor marketing strategies, but what if you don't feel the level of care for the services you do need aren't as good as what you had prior?

However, I wouldn't be shy about telling the doctor that you are offended by his/her suggestion that you need a cosmetic enhancement. Furthermore I would suggest you let them know exactly how you feel about this approach, and that you strongly considered going elsewhere, but would like to stay in this office because you appreciate the care you receive, but you won't tolerate being "sold" cosmetic procedures.

The value of this IMO is that feedback like this may alter the approach of the office to something more benign, and less offensive, such as has been suggested; brochures in waiting room, or treatment room inviting INTERESTED parties to start the conversation.

You probably already realize this, but the reason these nonessential services are becoming so popular among doctors is that they generally fall outside of the insurance coverage umbrella, and consequently, fees aren't negotiated, or limited by insurance schedules, so they can be a lot more lucrative than essential procedures. Definitely a$$-backward, but that's the way of health care these days.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife's dentist also has a spa and was trying to sell her on getting Botox.

Apparently my dentist thinks I look fine ...or am hopeless (more likely)
Old 01-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
Apparently my dentist thinks I look fine ...or am hopeless (more likely)
My dentist long ago gave up on me. Now just finishes off with 'Your mouth looks healthy.' and doesn't try to convince me that for a mere 20k I could take it on tour!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #47

I would be very very concerned that this doc may next recommend something else like a medical procedure/test that you don't need. Because it is obvious he is looking to increase his revenue stream.

How bad can it be ?
" Detroit-area doctor who authorities say gave cancer treatment drugs to patients who did not need them -- including some who didn't actually have cancer -- was sentenced Friday to 45 years in prison."
Michigan cancer doctor gets 45 years in prison - CNN.com
Old 01-26-2016, 09:35 AM   #48

Interestingly I read how Doctors can be punished by the American Medical Association in 1 State for all sorts of bad things that an ordinary person would do prison time for. So they go work in another State with a clean slate.

It's very hard to know for small % of patients that look up their doctor on Google.

But this is off topic.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I would be very very concerned that this doc may next recommend something else like a medical procedure/test that you don't need. Because it is obvious he is looking to increase his revenue stream.
...snip...
Or be too absorbed in how they pitch an add on service and miss something that I was seeing them for. I paid for those precious 8 minutes, focus on my needs!

I was a victim of an incompetent doc, I now have strict rules based upon that horrible experience that are meant to keep me away from morons with a medical degree. This docs actions cross that line. I'd be gone, if I had a longer term relationship I'd write to explain why.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
You probably already realize this, but the reason these nonessential services are becoming so popular among doctors is that they generally fall outside of the insurance coverage umbrella, and consequently, fees aren't negotiated, or limited by insurance schedules, so they can be a lot more lucrative than essential procedures. Definitely a$$-backward, but that's the way of health care these days.
Your post reminded me that for a while my dentist had his hygienists pitching oral cancer screening. They made me feel like I was signing my death warrant for not paying the extra $$ for this screening.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Your post reminded me that for a while my dentist had his hygienists pitching oral cancer screening. They made me feel like I was signing my death warrant for not paying the extra $$ for this screening.
I think that's a bit different. Making sure you don't have something that might kill you is part of the job that is expected. Sales pitching cosmetic enhancements is not.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I think that's a bit different. Making sure you don't have something that might kill you is part of the job that is expected. Sales pitching cosmetic enhancements is not.

Still, how much should one have to pay for having a fluorescent light shined around in your mouth?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a doctor put full color brochures about cosmetic surgery in prominent place plus mention "possibilities" to me.

Last time I ever saw him or set foot in that multi-doctor office.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Velscope. There's lots of noise about how it's FDA approved. You won't hear details of the FDA approval from folks trained by their salesforce, though. It is approved as an adjunctive examination method, that is, something that can be used in addition to an oral cancer screen to further examine abnormalities. That is, if something abnormal is found, the Velscope (TM) can be used to verify if the abnormality is likely to be a problem.

Ask if the oral screening found something abnormal when the dental tech pulls out the magic flashlight. If there's nothing abnormal, pass on the $20-30 blue light special.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

If there is something abnormal skip the flashlight and see your physician.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Your "doctor" is a crook. Are you sure he's even a real doctor? No one with moral ethics would suggest cosmetic surgery on a part of your body he has no business commenting on. What a joke.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to laugh, my dentist stopped the oral screening because it had to many false positives but he did tell the wife he now does botox treatments.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
I had to laugh, my dentist stopped the oral screening because it had to many false positives but he did tell the wife he now does botox treatments.

perfect!

Tags
cosmetic, gynecologist, sales pitch, ultrasound