Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empresario View Post
Any chance the driver you hit did get your information? License number? I'm always concerned that some kind of neck problem, long-term rehab, etc. will surface and you have no insurance protection.

Fortunately there is no way he got any of my info. I don't have a plate on the front of my car (it's legal in PA) and I pulled up behind him. On top of that he was in such a hurry to get away he never walked near my car. Thankfully!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleeplus View Post
Good to know Sue J - I think I will go to the body ship first and then decide if I need to call the insurance company.
You should be sure that there is no hidden damage like a radiator that is now too close to a fan, a cracked transmission cooler or a hood that might fly up on the expressway. Unless the cosmetics matter, I'd skip them or buy parts at a junk yard and have them painted, then bolt them on myself.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You should be sure that there is no hidden damage like a radiator that is now too close to a fan, a cracked transmission cooler or a hood that might fly up on the expressway. Unless the cosmetics matter, I'd skip them or buy parts at a junk yard and have them painted, then bolt them on myself.
^^^ Fits the er-org profile...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
^^^ Fits the er-org profile...
Oh, you've seen my car?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
This is what the junkyard is for. Go find yourself a part from someone else's junked car, and then put that on yourself, or find someone else to do it. Either way, you save big $$$.
X2, this is my suggestion. You can probably get it done for not much more than your deductible by using this path.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleeplus View Post
Fortunately there is no way he got any of my info. I don't have a plate on the front of my car (it's legal in PA) and I pulled up behind him. On top of that he was in such a hurry to get away he never walked near my car. Thankfully!
Sounds like the other driver might not want to deal with the authorities.....
Old 02-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empresario View Post
Sounds like the other driver might not want to deal with the authorities.....
Yep many reasons for not wanting to talk with LE. Many not particularly 'mainstream'. Don't think you'll ever hear from them.

Great advice on insurance, and repair options.

Best wishes,
MRG
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

When I was in college I learned a valuable lesson. Someone tapped me from behind on my way to work one morning. We both stopped and my car had no visible damage so we didn't exchange information and the other party drove away. Then my car would not start. It turned out that the tap had messed up the carburetor float and it cost me a few hundred dollars but I had no recourse to the party that hit me since I didn;t have their information. Slightly different from the OPs situation, but nonetheless a valuable lesson for me.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok quick update.... I have an appointment to get an an estimate at the local body shop. Unfortunately with the horrible winter we have had the soonest I could get in is this coming Friday. I am holding off on calling my insurance company until I get an estimate and fully understand the damage (just cosmetic vs. engine compartment damage) so that they don't file it as a claim just because I called. The estimate will dictate wether I do it myself, have it fixed by the garage or file a claim.

Great advice and insights.......
Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Most of us carry a convenient camera in the form of a cellphone. Probably worth snapping a couple of pics, even if both drivers agree to no harm, no foul. Worth a thousand words...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote