Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords, the repeated catching of a cat may not indicate stupidity. After all, you are laying out a buffett and will be along shortly to let him out when he is done eating. The yowling may have been because he wasn't finished eating.

How about more active discouragement of use of the cat highway? Maybe a barrier on the top of the wall or temporarily gluing something on top of the wall that they will not like walking on?

I hate to say it, but with active feeders nearby this is likely a Sisyphean task.

- Will Rogers
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
....The second problem is catching the right cat. (A subcategory of this problem is releasing the wrong cat.) When I dragged my sleep-deprived assets outside at 2:30 AM to check the bait I was shocked to find a trapped cat staring back at me. It immediately started yowling angrily at me (probably cat language for "Shut off that damned light!!"). Unfortunately it was the wrong cat....

Not two hours later we'd caught another cat. This time I was ready with a ruler (to push in the top outer door) and a dental pick (to pull out the bottom inner door). Much to my disgust it was the same damn (wrong) cat.

Is this also a feral cat? Could you take it to the Humane Society too (as long as you're up all night anyway why not hit the highway)?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I will freely admit I am not a cat person, but I am a pet lover and would try hard to remediate situations like this if I felt it was likely to be successful in a humane fashion. Having seen the cat colony on my parents' property (and they have been trapping and spaying for years), I generally take a dim view of this strategy as a way to deal with ferals (who are frankly something of a menace to the local birds, etc.). Add in the fact that this is a (hopefully) lone male missing an eye and the fact that there are people feeding in the area and you have a situation that is not likely to be resolved with some trapping.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the update. This needs to be cross posted to the "What Did You Do Today" topic.

As one of the cat lovers here I'm interested in your efforts. Hope you and DW sleep better tonight.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Have you considered multiple traps (parallel processing)?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #46

Purron, love the info!!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Purron, love the info!!
+1

There are a number of famous folk that Purron mentioned whose love of cats I had no idea about. Thank you for enlightening us!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
+1

There are a number of famous folk that Purron mentioned whose love of cats I had no idea about. Thank you for enlightening us!
Ok you can add me to the list of those who do not feel enlightened in any way seeing a list of people who like cats. Not sure that anyone seeing that General Lee or John Lennon liked cats is going to change the way they feel about cats based on such a list.

I'm not one who feels any desire to own a cat, however we do have a number of cats who wander freely over our property and I admire the way they strut their stuff as if they don't have a care in the world.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Ok you can add me to the list of those who do not feel enlightened in any way seeing a list of people who like cats. Not sure that anyone seeing that General Lee or John Lennon liked cats is going to change the way they feel about cats based on such a list.
Is it really that much fun to piss in someone's cornflakes?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Is it really that much fun to piss in someone's cornflakes?
That reminds me of something Shirley Manson, singer from the band Garbage, said that she did to an ex-boyfriend once.

I'll spare you the details
Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

I'm not one who feels any desire to own a cat, however we do have a number of cats who wander freely over our property and I admire the way they strut their stuff as if they don't have a care in the world.
Understand DangerMouse. Not looking to enlighten you or anyone else. Just making the point Nords is every kind of awesome, in my opinion, for his handling of this situation. Also, that those of us who love cats aren't crazy. Well, no more crazy than the Pope, Churchill or Mark Twain. Well...on second thought, perhaps that's a discussion best not held in this forum
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
+1? Really? With all the problems in the world you give a +1 to getting rid of people who want to help feral and homeless cats?

This forum helped me with the big retirement decision and for that I'm really thankful. Later, I found this forum filled the void left from leaving work - you know - all those random conversations about stuff with coworkers. Plus an affirmation of the big decision to go against the norm.

The tone and spirit has changed. Or maybe I've changed.
I've lived in and with the environment (a.k.a. nature) for over 30 years, bears, weasels, coyotes, squirrels, birds, you name it, and the one thing I've learned is: You respect my territory and I'll respect yours. You tromp on mine and I'll tromp on yours, from both sides. That's the rule of nature. This doesn't mean that I don't have empathy for your problems, but it has to be a two way street. Life in the woods here can be rough and there's no room for the idea that "it's okay to infringe on your life in order to solve my problems." So. . .Nords. The cat is infringing on your need for sleep. Tell the shelter to trap the cat, call the cops, whatever. Your responsibility is to yourself and to your spouse to ensure your sleep. The cat is infringing on that.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot View Post
I've lived in and with the environment (a.k.a. nature) for over 30 years, bears, weasels, coyotes, squirrels, birds, you name it, and the one thing I've learned is: You respect my territory and I'll respect yours. You tromp on mine and I'll tromp on yours, from both sides. That's the rule of nature. This doesn't mean that I don't have empathy for your problems, but it has to be a two way street. Life in the woods here can be rough and there's no room for the idea that "it's okay to infringe on your life in order to solve my problems." So. . .Nords. The cat is infringing on your need for sleep. Tell the shelter to trap the cat, call the cops, whatever. Your responsibility is to yourself and to your spouse to ensure your sleep. The cat is infringing on that.
My husband and I have lived in and with the environment (aka nature) for over 54 years. FYI, shelters can't be ordered to trap a cat. Taxpayers don't fund this kind of service. And the cops are gonna tell you to deal with this on your own. So...gotta deal with it yourself. Just sayin', in my humble opinion, Nords is doing a fine job of taking care of this in a responsible manner.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot

I've lived in and with the environment (a.k.a. nature) for over 30 years, bears, weasels, coyotes, squirrels, birds, you name it, and the one thing I've learned is: You respect my territory and I'll respect yours. You tromp on mine and I'll tromp on yours, from both sides. That's the rule of nature.
It was all their territory until someone built a housing development.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #55

We had a problem with feral and/or stray cats in our area here on the outskirts of town. My neighbors and I started using 'live traps' and rounded up nearly 2 dozen in less than a month. They were taken to the farms of several of our friends (with their prior approval and blessings....new barn cats). Only one ever returned, and it was then taken to one of the other farms and has not come back.

It's been soooo nice not hearing all of the screeching and fighting outside our windows at night! Although we have noticed a couple new strays in the last few weeks. We also have a few foxes living close by, and they're being given the opportunity to be in charge of cat patrol!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We had a problem with feral cats entering the adjacent property and then hopping on to our roof and walking in to feast on our cats food. Our two cats just observed. This was made worse because our cats are on an expensive formula.

Finally the neighbors installed a fine mesh fence to prevent entry. Only cats that were trapped inside continued to enjoy the food. But soon they all made sure they were not trapped inside at night. Problem solved!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

This week is starting to bring flashbacks of all those submarine midwatch engineroom walkthroughs. Gumby & M_Paquette remember the fun of "random tour intervals not to exceed four hours"...

Caught another one last night, but still the wrong one. This one was either supremely annoyed with me or spent too long in the cage (probably both) and it promptly bolted when I opened the door. The turbulence of its takeoff wafted the odor of cat feces in my direction, and let's just say that it must've been eating a lot of junk food before it stopped by our snack bar. I briefly contemplated cleaning up and restarting operations but decided to defer the project until daylight. I'm glad I waited-- what a mess.

The rainy weather has also put a damper (so to speak) on the feline neighborhood patrols. We still haven't caught the right cat but we've only heard it a couple times since we started this project.

I guess there's nothing preventing us from taking all our trapped critters into the Humane Society. I only recognize one or two cats in the neighborhood, let alone who belongs where. Some of the neighborhood cats are collared & tagged and most of them are probably chipped. But AFAIK there's no neighborhood rules requiring them to be kept in at night. If the cat wasn't chipped then I'd probably feel compelled to return it to the neighborhood. I'd hate for a negligent owner (or too cheap to chip) to result in a young kid posting "Lost cat" posters around the neighborhood when I know exactly where the cat went. Our problems are only with this one particular known felon feline, and we're not trying to get 'em all off the streets.

I think you're right-- the cat we want is getting enough food to not bother with our trap, and the others have just been victims of their own curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Have you considered multiple traps (parallel processing)?
That's a great question-- the Humane Society didn't offer and we didn't think to ask. I guess we're only limited by the number of deposits we put down. But if I end up doing this again it's worth laying 3-4 around all the property approach paths.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

It would be nice if you could fix up a little sign like this in the trap...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It would be nice if you could fix up a little sign like this in the trap...
Then Nords would find me in the trap the next morning
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It was all their territory until someone built a housing development.
Not necessarily. In many cases animals of all species are and can be immigrants for many reasons. In most cases, however, everyone manages to live side by side amicably.