Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Awright, this has gone from annoyance to mockery.

I awoke last night at my customary midwatch tour time (2:30 AM) and went down to the back lanai to check the trap. As I turned on the floodlight, it illuminated the cat we're trying to catch. The damn critter was literally laying on the back lanai, perhaps enjoying a short snooze, just 15 feet away from the trap.

We both froze and stared at each other. I made my move: I shut off the light and tried to back away quietly. The cat quickly jumped & ran for the street.

We have to turn the trap back in tomorrow. I'll leave it baited for one more night, and I'll give up some sleep to keep an eye on it, but I think we're done.

The "good" news is that the neighborhood kitties seem to have chosen other hangouts. We still hear them once or twice a night, but they're not right underneath our bedroom window.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Awright, this has gone from annoyance to mockery.
Get a dog...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Get a dog...
The free-range cats torment our neighbor's indoor dogs. Our bunny even used to wake us up with his thumping when a cat decided to hang out on the lanai. It'd be funny if it wasn't so darn noisy in the middle of the night.

I've never understood why there are so many laws about dog control while cats roam freely. Maybe it's because dogs have actually attacked humans while cats are content to merely torment them.

Regardless, the last thing we need around here is another critter to take care of.

One of the reasons we ended up with a bunny is because spouse is violently allergic to cat hair and pretty sensitive to most dog hair. Yes, I know there are hairless versions of both species but we were never that keen on hosting either one of them (hirsute or bald) in the first place.

Ironically, pound for pound I think our bunny outshed any canine or feline. After six weeks and several vacuumings we're still finding bunny hair, and it probably won't cease until we demolish/rebuild the familyroom.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I've never understood why there are so many laws about dog control while cats roam freely. Maybe it's because dogs have actually attacked humans while cats are content to merely torment them.
Could it possibly be because cats (by their nature) attack and kill undesirable rodentia?

Edit to add: I think probably so.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Could it possibly be because cats (by their nature) attack and kill undesirable rodentia?

Edit to add: I think probably so.
"Local man attacked by pit bull, film at 11" is a more common lead-in than "Local man deprived of sleep by loose tomcat, film at 11"

Feral cats also, by their nature, are probably a menace to the local bird population (of course, if you're surrounded by sparrows, that's not necessarily a bad thing at all). But, given a department's limited resources, it's probably a choice of where to concentrate money/personnel and voters are more scared of packs of wild dogs than feral cats.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Well, that's a wrap. Score felines 3, humans 0. The trap has been cleaned & returned for our deposit.

As other posters mentioned, the feral cats are probably too well fed to go for the bait. If we did this again we'd have to ask the neighbors to stop feeding the one we want to catch. If that's possible.

The good news is that it's a lot quieter around our house. Maybe just the threat of mutual assured relocation was enough of a deterrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
Feral cats also, by their nature, are probably a menace to the local bird population (of course, if you're surrounded by sparrows, that's not necessarily a bad thing at all).
Around here, the local cat food is zebra doves. I don't see how those creatures stay alive long enough to reproduce.

OTOH I've watched our yard's two alpha mockingbirds execute a perfect coordinated surface-to-ground feline attack that'd make any aviator proud.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quitter.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Quitter.
Yea I think we will have to withdraw our nomination for Nords for Masochist of the Year!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

C'mon guys - you really think he gave up? He's just doing that "OK, I'm leaving now, gotta go, bye bye. STEP STEp STep Step step..... lurk lurk pounce".
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Quitter.
While we're behind!

In the military we'd refer to this as "accomplishment of the strategic objectives while limiting demands on tactical assets"...

Old 05-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While we're behind!

In the military we'd refer to this as "accomplishment of the strategic objectives while limiting demands on tactical assets"...
Yeah, meanwhile the cats are referring to this as "mission accomplished"
Old 05-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yeah, meanwhile the cats are referring to this as "mission accomplished"
Maybe I should put dishes of tuna in all the neighbor's yards...

Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #73

Quote:
Maybe I should put dishes of tuna in all the neighbor's yards...
A good idea, basically, but needs refining, to avoid unfavorable reaction of neighbors to guy placing suspicious parcels in private yards. Perhaps a tuna gun to lob gobbets from a distance? (I believe there are attested instances of fish raining from the sky.)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
A good idea, basically, but needs refining, to avoid unfavorable reaction of neighbors to guy placing suspicious parcels in private yards. Perhaps a tuna gun to lob gobbets from a distance? (I believe there are attested instances of fish raining from the sky.)
Fish raining from the sky? Is this a Hawaii thing?? No wonder there are so many kitty cats there
Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Fish raining from the sky? Is this a Hawaii thing??
No. See Raining animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in the Fish section, which mentions 5 historical occurrences, and also reproduces a 1555 lithograph.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
No. See Raining animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in the Fish section, which mentions 5 historical occurrences, and also reproduces a 1555 lithograph.
Wow GregLee! I gotta tell you, I learn something new every day around here. This is fastinating!

Anyone remember "Raining Men" from the Weather Girls? Super silly pop song, but it did pop into my mind, embarrassed to admit
Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

My local Humane Society will pick up any trapped cat, transfer it from your cage to their van and try to reform it. This is done without charge and is an excellent service provided my area as it is an hours drive to their office. Some do have to be put down but some are able to become good pets. I have a cage and seem to have become the local go to guy to trap an unwanted cat.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
My local Humane Society will pick up any trapped cat, transfer it from your cage to their van and try to reform it.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
My local Humane Society will pick up any trapped cat, transfer it from your cage to their van and try to reform it. This is done without charge and is an excellent service provided my area as it is an hours drive to their office. Some do have to be put down but some are able to become good pets. I have a cage and seem to have become the local go to guy to trap an unwanted cat.
We don't have feral cats in our neighborhood or even outdoor housecats but I salute your humane solution (we have relocated a squirrel from our attic and chipmunks from our basement).

And if you make the bolded sentence your new signature (and delele "local") I see a lot of potential travel in your future, Bruce, starting with helping Nords out in Hawaii!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My local Humane Society will pick up any trapped cat, transfer it from your cage to their van and try to reform it.
OK, one more: