Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably makes the most sense, Sarah. A shame the feeders don't understand or don't care what they are doing to the animals.

I am glad the local coyotes and foxes take care of this problem for me. About the only thing the coyotes are good for.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
So what is the way to manage the problem? Moving them elsewhere transfers the problem to someone else and may not work, trap and spay/neuter does not work, there are no local predators to control the population, and exterminationis frowned on.
Brew,

I think I've made my position on this issue pretty clear in the past. This is near and dear to my heart so think it's best for me not to discuss it here any more. Just not the right place plus the topic has nothing to do with early retirement. I'll just leave it there.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A wise decision Purron.

Remember the forum has an "Ignore Thread" feature. Might come in handy here.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Brew,

I think I've made my position on this issue pretty clear in the past. This is near and dear to my heart so think it's best for me not to discuss it here any more. Just not the right place plus the topic has nothing to do with early retirement. I'll just leave it there.
Well, I was not trying to offend you or anyone else. And as yu know, we NEVER talk about anything unrelated to ER...

I really was genuinely wondering what could be done. With active feeders in the area, spay/neuter seems to be tough because there is a seemingly endless supply of new, intact ferals showing up for free grub. Unfortunate for the neghbors and the cats.

- George Orwell

Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I know that Purron is a true animal advocate, and she, like me, shares Nords' frustration along with a sadness for the human landlord-caused problem that Nords is experiencing.

I'll tell you what I would do in the situation, but it isn't easy to do: I'd take adult, unadoptable animals to my vet for humane euthanasia. I don't advocate any kind of cruelty (and Ed, I know you didn't mean that quite the way it sounded) or feeding one animal to another, but that is honestly what I've done with animals I've found dumped in our rural area that I've been unable to rehome reasonably.

It is a hard thing to do, though, and you have to carry the problem around with you, but to me, it is the best of a lot of hard choices. Far better for an animal to have a good end, peacefully provided, than the alternatives.

As in most things, YMMV.

I agree with Sara - put them down.
Original Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I respectfully disagree with this Nords. People have dropped cats off in our area in the past since it's a rural enclave in a very urban area. Not appreciated by DH and I or the dropped off cats I suspect.
Hey, you've read the length of this thread (both temporal and the number of posts) and the other steps that we've tried.

If you have a better suggestion, I'm listening.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Feed the feral cats. Then maybe they'll go to another neighbor's place to caterwaul. Or feed them better food so they leave their original home's food to the rats until they stop putting food out.

(No I'm not serious.)

A coworker lives by a neighborhood park, and apparently it's a prime location for pet abandon-ers. Several times he's seen people dump cats or dogs and drive off quickly. The dogs try to chase their (ex-) owner's car. A coyote sometimes finds the abandoned cats before people do.

I think my cat may have been abandoned at a park. My mom and nephews picked her up, and of course the nephews wanted to keep her. The cat didn't get along with everyone and was a bit hyper and aggressive with some of the other people and animals, so eventually she was passed to mom. When I told mom I was considering getting a litterbox-trained adult cat from the shelter she jumped at the opportunity to pass Jinx on to me. Our best estimate is that she is 12-14 months old now. I chipped her in case she gets out and lost. She plays very fiercely so I have to encourage her not to play-bite, play-bat me or play-stalk me or surely she will overdo it in the (near) future. I'm also teaching her she can be grumpy, but anywhere in the house except on or by me.

I think my neighbor feeds stray/feral cats. I have a lot of cat traffic through my yard, but they are mostly quiet. But at a neighborhood meeting I learned a number of the neighbors trap, neuter and return stray cats (well, they take them to a professional...), so everybody should be unloaded.

But your neighbors take the cake. Leaving chipped pets behind and then having a relative go feed them. That's wrong on so many levels.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #68

Quote:
Hey, you've read the length of this thread (both temporal and the number of posts) and the other steps that we've tried.

If I find myself in a similar situation, and assuming I had no interest in maintaining friendly relations with those particular neighbors, I think I would be inclined to pursue sterner measures against the cat feeders and/or owners of that property.

I think it likely that they are committing some variety of zoning infraction, or "creating a nuisance" ordinance. I would attempt to bring the building inspectors or health inspectors down around their ears for creating a condition attractive to vermin (the rats) or something along those lines. The fines for such violations can be hefty, so that might get them to stop the feeding, or they may just get mad and move out. Either way, once the food source is eliminated, I would think trap/neuter/release would deal with any residual cat population.

And another thought--I would buy some wolf or coyote pee (available online) and sprinkle it around my property to repel the noisy cats.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #69

dumb question, but why doesn't "fix and release" work? If the cats are fixed, at least they can't reproduce, so the problem won't get worse. Obviously, the best scenario is no feral cats at all, but I'd still take a few feral cats to cat colonies that grow and get out of hand.

Around these parts, I don't think the cats have any natural predators, once they're full-grown, at least. We have foxes, raccoons, and opossums. I know a raccoon will kill a kitten, and I guess a fox would, too. Dunno about a 'possum, though.

And, I hate to say it, but my neighbor does put food out for the feral cats. I told her she should stop, but she says that when she feeds the cats, they're less likely to mess with the birds.

And, I'll admit, that I do throw old food out in the woods behind my house, probably about 150 feet away. I figure it gives the local critters something to pick at, but if it's old chicken bones and such, I might be inadvertently feeding the feral cats, too?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
... trap and spay/neuter does not work...
How does this not work? Are you referring to more cats coming into the population from other areas? If you have trapped all the cats in an area and had them fixed, there is no population problem and no more noise. This worked in our neighborhood with us trapping all but one cat and paying to have them fixed.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
How does this not work? Are you referring to more cats coming into the population from other areas? If you have trapped all the cats in an area and had them fixed, there is no population problem and no more noise. This worked in our neighborhood with us trapping all but one cat and paying to have them fixed.
I've been watching a situation where an enthusiastic feeder is also doing trap and spay. The feral cat population has only expanded over the years. There is enough of a draw that new cats keep coming in all the time and the trap and spay does not keep up with the influx.

- George Orwell

Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
dumb question, but why doesn't "fix and release" work? If the cats are fixed, at least they can't reproduce, so the problem won't get worse. Obviously, the best scenario is no feral cats at all, but I'd still take a few feral cats to cat colonies that grow and get out of hand.
The cats that we've caught have all been fixed and released. The problem is with the cats that we have not yet caught. Once we catch them all (and after they're fixed) then we can relax in the knowledge that they won't be yowling at each other.

As Brewer points out, I'm not sure how to determine when we've reached the level of "all the cats".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
And, I hate to say it, but my neighbor does put food out for the feral cats. I told her she should stop, but she says that when she feeds the cats, they're less likely to mess with the birds.
And, I'll admit, that I do throw old food out in the woods behind my house, probably about 150 feet away. I figure it gives the local critters something to pick at, but if it's old chicken bones and such, I might be inadvertently feeding the feral cats, too?
If the landlord's manager was a neighbor on our street then I suspect that property vandalism friendly coercion or an educational visit from the Humane Society would have stopped the feeding long ago.

Unfortunately the feeder lives eight miles away in a neighboring town. Even when the cat food in the dishes was disappearing five times per day, and the cat beds were simply disappearing (or so I've heard), this person would still travel to the house several times per day to restock.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
As Brewer points out, I'm not sure how to determine when we've reached the level of "all the cats".
I guess our population is small enough that we end up getting to know them all. We have made up names for them all.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #74

Just thinking out loud...I can't help thinking that there must be some sort of drug/hormone that could be put into the food that would stop ovulation or make the males impotent. That would be another solution. I wonder if it has been researched?

On the other side of the coin...hormones would be temporary or only as long as you feed. But, if you have people nearby that like to feed the cats, it would be a solution and a winner. That along with the ones caught and surgery done would pretty much keep the population down. And Nord's rats might slow down from the hormones, too.

One last solution...Nord's have you tried Ambien?