Join Early Retirement Today

Festivus for the Rest of Us
Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
gone traveling

Festivus for the Rest of Us

Admittedly, this IS a retire-early website and, to retire early, one must be somewhat "loaded."

Could someone point "the rest of us" in the right direction to find a similar website for "normal age" retirement and "somewhat" higher than median net worth?

The discussions here at inspiring, but not necessarily "fiscally-comparable" to my own upcoming retirement "budgetary constraints," if you will.

And, you may "quote" me on that.
Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know of other similar sites to which to direct you.

I prefer this one as it has a wide range of ages, net worth, and lifestyles yet we all seem to share an interest in reasoned discussion, helpfulness in sharing our knowledge, LBYM, frugality, and trying to grow our net worth.

And as we've often seen, the timing of when someone chooses to retire is often affected by OMY (one more year) syndrome more than net worth.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Administrator

The discussions here include the very frugal together with the well funded, and my sense is frugality is the norm. Browsing past threads shows a pretty wide range of ages, incomes and net worth. Not sure why you don't feel "fiscally comparable", perhaps you need to ask your own questions differently.

Retirement, and especially early retirement, is not about our age or how much we have, it's about how much we spend, and how much we saved.

Edit to add: moved the thread into "Other Topics"
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The discussions here include the very frugal together with the well funded, and my sense is frugality is the norm. Browsing past threads shows a pretty wide range of ages, incomes and net worth. Not sure why you don't feel "fiscally comparable", perhaps you need to ask your own questions differently.

Retirement, and especially early retirement, is not about how much we have, it's about how much we spend, and how much we saved.
+1 and get a subscription to Mother Earth News
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Retirement, and especially early retirement, is not about our age or how much we have, it's about how much we spend, and how much we saved.
I guess I have to ask them differently...or not at all.
Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

There are other sites but none is purely focused on early retirement issues that fit my own condition, so I check this site daily. YMMV.

Google these to find their actual URL:

Bogleheads
Mr Money Mustache
City-data
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

Festivus isn't till tomorrow. You're airing your grievances early.

To the point of your post - I agree with the others that there are people who are incredibly frugal because they have less of a nest egg and are younger... so the nest egg needs to last longer. I'd point you to Major Tom and aaron as good examples.

I know I had an epiphany after hanging out here that the key to early retirement wasn't just the size of the nest egg... but the smaller the spend, the less of a nest egg you needed. I was inspired by threads on this forum about cutting the costs of cell phones, cutting cable, and in general - cutting back on any subscribed/monthly costs. Over the next couple of years I was able to whittle thousands off my annual budget just by changing service providers and habits. My lifestyle was not impaired.

You can choose to feel like you don't fit in - have nest egg envy... or you can look at what your budget is - trim it... and divert those budget savings into your nest egg... That's what I did.... and was able to retire 2 years earlier than I originally planned.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I can tell you that as an early retiree that is FAR from being loaded, I can tell you this is the best thing going for even the youngin's. I have spent HOURS AND HOURS perusing the interwebs for "early retiree" stuff for those that don't have "3.1MM dollars, can I retire?" threads and this is the best that's out there. Of course, there is a LARGE smattering of retirees (and hope to retire) folks here, which I have found to be quite useful. As an example...I am 40 and didn't used to give much thought to health care costs once I am 65+ old...but NOW, I am quite familiar with real costs, coverage and REAL stories. Anyway..some of the other sites I have come across that may or may not help:

AARP

Well, that's all I can think of for "normal older retirees".
Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have a four-legged stool, the implied value of which exceeds the oft-maligned "million bucks": my own portfolio, a small pension, early SS, and, for now, at least, a heavily subsidized retiree HI plan...

But my FIRE age will be 61, or 62 if OMY, so not all that early.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texconsin View Post
OK, done.

You want some cheese to go with that?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Admittedly, this IS a retire-early website and, to retire early, one must be somewhat "loaded."

Could someone point "the rest of us" in the right direction to find a similar website for "normal age" retirement and "somewhat" higher than median net worth?

The discussions here at inspiring, but not necessarily "fiscally-comparable" to my own upcoming retirement "budgetary constraints," if you will.

Wow. Quite a post. I am thinking that you probably haven't been here long enough to get to know our members very well.

I am pretty sure that the majority of us indeed did live very frugally at one point in life like I did. But what's the point of obsessing on being frugal and trying to "out-frugal" other forum members once you've made it and don't have to be? Some of our members are in that situation too and are enjoying less-than-frugal retirements now.

I retired at age 61-1/2, which IIRC is about the median age for retirement in the US these days. Maybe about six months past the median. I also went from nothing (but debt) to retired in eleven years. You can do it if you are determined.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just read the earliest posts you can find on the boards from some of the really early retirees--you'll feel like you fit in just fine today.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:

You've found it. It's here. Most of the active discussions take place by people who are already retired. Not all of them have pensions, not all of them have $1M in investments. Some live in Mexico because it is more affordable - why? They don't have $1M in investments.

Retirement at a normal age with median net worth is a process. For the most part, this site tends to have discussions around finances (frugality, LBYM, best deals on what, how to cut expenses). For those in their 20's and up this is the place to start.

There are two things one needs before retiring: some idea of how they want to spend retirement and a solid knowledge that they have enough to support their lifestyle.

Everyone thinks they need big bucks to retire. Not true, but dependent on your own personal spending habits.

So, don't focus on the posts about how much one has in savings and can they retire. Focus on what people do once they have achieved the 'number.'

This is a great place to envision how one can spend their retirement, and how one can finance it (at any age). Ask your questions. Don't be shy!

- Rita
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:

I come from a long line of "normal age" retirees who were not at all "loaded". I am the very first, and only, one to retire early (age 50), and I am not "loaded" either.

The one thing that my predecessors and myself have in common, is that we strived to save and invest as much as we could during our working years, while still living fairly comfortably. After retirement they all enjoyed 'living the life', with new vehicles, nice vacations, creature comforts of all sorts, etc., all the while living within their means. I caught that 'disease' from them. Except for my early retirement age, I followed their footsteps fairly closely.

I stated all of that, to say, that I firmly believe that those in my family who preceded me, would feel quite comfortable hanging out here in the E-R Forum if they were still among us. Because just as in every day life, there are those with much and those with little and those of us who are here in the middle. And although I have yet to find anyone here on the Forum in the exact same situation as myself, I have had the pleasure of learning from everyone here, rich or poor, younger or older.

So I'd just encourage you to hang around here for a while, since you've only been here a relatively short time so far, and glean what you can, from whoever you can. Because, like me, you might just be surprised at how similar some of the others are to your circumstances. Besides, I've looked around off and on for several years for websites or forums somewhat similar to this one, and haven't found any that offer the wide diversity of people, information, humor, seriousness, and friendliness that this one does.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #15

This site has an alternate retirement perspective to this one -

Cheap RV Living.com-Blog
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

That is a misconception. I can't speak for everyone, but some of the earlier retirees seem entirely sober, at least when they're posting. And although I do consume alcohol, I have never been "loaded."

Aside from that, I can't add to what's already been said. I wanted a site where people talk about retirement (not necessarily early; just retirement) like it's a good thing [instead of the last step before death, which is how society perceives it], and lurked at various sites before stumbling on this one and deciding to stay.

Amethyst

Quote:

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Why not take a look at Bogleheads?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

I won't retire very early compared to others here, but it will be a few years earlier than I thought I would be able to. So for me, it feels early. And we are not loaded by any stretch of the imagination. We just have always lived modestly and saved what we could. Reading here has given me so many ideas and information, it's been great.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I won't retire very early compared to others here, but it will be a few years earlier than I thought I would be able to. So for me, it feels early. And we are not loaded by any stretch of the imagination. We just have always lived modestly and saved what we could. Reading here has given me so many ideas and information, it's been great.
+1 My situation exactly. Tisconsin, I recommend giving the site some time. I echo the sentiment that it provides many different and useful perspectives, ideas and information.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you are looking for ways to live green and save money Mother Earth News and faircompanies.com are good resources.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote