Final update on my Dad

Sue J

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Quick recap - Mom died suddenly in 2011 and 2 weeks later Dad (85) broke his hip. He moved to assisted living in 2012 and in Jan 2016 we moved him to a hospice facility. He turned 90 at the end of March, 2016 and died on Monday 4/18.

Poor guy, it was a long slow decline. It's over for him now and he's finally with Mom again.

It's just my sister and I now. We had a brother who died 10 years ago.

We had a lovely graveside service on Wednesday. He was a Navy veteran of WWII (1944-1946) in the North Atlantic and then the South Pacific. We asked for military honors at the funeral and we were very impressed by how it was handled. Two Navy personnel were there before we arrived, one played taps and the other saluted at the head of the casket. Then they took the flag from the coffin, did the ceremonial folding and gave the flag to my sister and I and thanked us for his service.

All in all, it was a nice way to wrap up his life and say goodbye. One of our sons was away on a business trip. He had seen Dad before he left and we told him that he was not expected to come home if it happened while he was gone. He left Monday morning and Dad passed that night. We asked the rabbi at the funeral if it was ok for our other son to take pictures for his brother and he thought it was a great idea.

Dad was Jewish and he had asked for a kosher casket. It's a plain pine box with wooden pegs instead of nails and there are openings at the bottom to allow for deterioration instead of preservation. Dad wasn't religious but he was frugal and a very practical guy.

One of the Jewish customs that I like is that the mourners wear a black ribbon, the rabbi tears it and then we tear it. It's instead of tearing your own clothing in grief.

Another custom is that anyone at the grave site who wants to can shovel dirt in the grave after the vault cover is laid. It may sound gruesome but it's very cathartic. The rabbi goes first them my sister and I and any family and then anyone else attending.

It all was very nice and we had shiva (calling hours) at my sister's house afterward on Wednesday and also Thursday.

It's been a long week but I'm doing ok. I'm taking care of details and just absorbing it all. I think I did so much pre-grieving in his last weeks that I've been through the worst of it and I'm ready to accept it all.

He and Mom are together again and that feels right.

Last edited:
That was a beautiful tribute you wrote. My condolences on your loss.

So sorry for your loss, and thanks for sharing that.

I'm sorry for your loss Sue. I know as much as you see it coming that it is something different when the end finally comes, but it sounds like your Dad had a great run at life and is no longer suffering and in a better place and you can take solace at that.

Everyone in my family history lives until their late 90's. Watching my aging parents in their 90's deal with diapers, falling down, and memory problems has changed my opinion on Dying with Dignity. I did not intend on hijacking your thread so I will stop now.

I'm sorry for your loss. Like you, I have survived my parents and my brother... with just my sister and remaining. Thank you for the description of the jewish graveside customs. I learned something interesting today from that.

That was a lovely tribute to your Dad, Sue. I'm sure he is at peace. Funerals are to help the bereaved get through the initial grief. It sounds like you are coping well. I always liked the idea of putting earth on the coffin (dust to dust) and I put a handful on at my own Dad's funeral, though we are not Jewish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sue, sorry for your loss and Dad must have been quite a man.

My Dad served in the South Pacific at the same time your did. My best friend passed away several months ago (he was Jewish) and the burial ceremony was the same.

Last edited:
May he rest in peace and may you and your sister enjoy the great memories of a wonderful life he lived.

Thank you for sharing. Yes, as you said, he and your Mom are together now.

I am sorry for your loss.
Thank you for sharing the service with us. He is no longer suffering and is now together with your mother.

He was a very fortunate man to have such a loving family.

May peace be with you.

May he rest in peace.

Sorry for your loss, Sue J.

omni

Sorry for your loss, Sue. Thank you for sharing your story. Also sorry to see another WWII vet go. Not too many of those good guys and gals around anymore.

So sorry to hear it. Lost my dad January 15, 2015. Today I was listening to a song that reminds me of him. Enjoy your memories of him.

Your story was a lovely tribute. I could see the whole scene through your words. Thank you.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting the story of the burial. I also learned from it. Take care of yourself.

Very sorry for your loss Sue. Please accept our heartfelt condolences.
May Lord give you and your family strength as you grieve your loss.

Back
Top Bottom