Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Finally dropped IE for Firefox
Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finally dropped IE for Firefox

I've resisted changing browsers for reasons unknown, but a few of my favorite websites started to lockup in the past few weeks. If it had been one site, I'd assume that site was the problem, but it was several unrelated sites that I had always been able to access and use links. Lately, they locked up, and locked up IE too.

I reinstalled IE, Java, and everything I could think of related AND checked control panel for security levels/enabling and could not recover. Spent hours Googling for solutions past few days, nothing worked.

So I installed Firefox and now everything works again.

I'm probably just too stupid to figure it out, but one of life's little mysteries for me.

I'd tried Firefox before and liked it (DW swears by it), but if I have problems I guess I'll try Chrome or Safari...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I switched to FF from IE quite a few years back for compatibility, then FF to Chrome a couple years ago from work and haven't looked back. Chrome's definitely my favorite of the three, but I haven't tried any of the new FF's in the last couple years.

If you switch computers a lot (I'm not sure if FF offers this) Chrome has a great feature based on a user profile. You can sign in to Chrome, and all of your saved passwords, bookmarks, autofill, general settings, etc, are accessible from any computer you're signed in on, which I like because I switch between multiple in my house

I couldn't -stand- IE. When I started web development in middle school, the added difficulty just to make anything work in IE was enough to make me switch.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Like Arifienikel, I'm switching from FF to Chrome. I'm getting locks on FF lately. Chrome seems OK.

There are a few things I don't like about Chrome that are taking some time to get used to, so it is a slow transition until it feels right.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I switched from FF a couple of years ago. Worked great for a while. Haven't had any problem with Chrome.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I primarily use Chrome as a gmail interface, but prefer FF for web surfing. I usually have both browsers open. I use IE to interface with employer mail and other work-related sites.

There are procedures which can reliably reset these browsers back to a pristine state.

Ranking the browsers from most to least problematic: IE, FF, Chrome.

I manage about 75 systems, and over the course of a year each of these browsers has become problematic at one time or another.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Have used Chrome since it was in Beta, in 2008... Tried the others, and Firefox and Opera are fine, but Google Chrome offers almost everything I want... cloud storage, built in voice control, voice "read" app, and a Google Drive Interface that obviates using Office... and as mentioned, a sync that keeps all four computers up to date... that works seamlessly. The apps are endless, and I love using "Readability"...
Now that there is an app that allows me to go back to the old "Compose" page, on GMail... I've forgiven the Google Masters, and am happy again.

One small problem... on my older computers, using Chrome... each tab opens a new svchost... and that can slow things down a bit... solveable by liimiting tabs to three or four... or by upgrading my computers.

So my vote goes to Chrome!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Having looked at Chromecast this afternoon, I may end up switching to Chrome sooner rather than later too...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm just using Chrome on my new Nexus 7. Seems OK but I'm a newbie.

On the PC I've used Firefox for a few years and like it. Best Add-ons for me are:
1) Adblock
2) Tabs Mix Plus
3) AutoPager

For FF I would recommend setting a Master Password in the Security tab of Options.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My favorite Chrome Extensions are Recently Closed Tabs, Strict Workflow, and Auto Refresh Plus (kind of work-specific).

I personally feel like Recently Closed Tabs should just be a standard function!
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm just using Chrome on my new Nexus 7. Seems OK but I'm a newbie.

On the PC I've used Firefox for a few years and like it. Best Add-ons for me are:
1) Adblock
2) Tabs Mix Plus
3) AutoPager

For FF I would recommend setting a Master Password in the Security tab of Options.

Highly recommend Adblock as it eliminates a lot of annoying ads. Realize that ads pay for many websites but just hate the flashy stuff and any type of audio ad that comes on automatically. Once in a while it creates a problem, like when my wife wished to order copy of pictures from local newspaper site (my soccer son), the order form was being blocked
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

NoScript is another FF add-on I would recommend
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use IE, FF, and Chrome. 90% of the time I use IE because it has the "send page by E-mail" function, which I use frequently. As far as I can tell FF and Chrome don't have that function or if they do, it's rather complicated, unlike IE where two clicks will do it. I categorize the sent E-mails in my E-mail program. The sent E-mails are permanent, unlike links that tend to expire.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just started using IE again. I abandoned IE for FF years ago. When Chrome came out, I compared FF to Chrome, and still liked FF better. Then I recently got a 64 bit Windows 8 and the IE 10 works fine, has tabs, and has improved very much. So I use two screens, with IE running on the left screen with my basic 'go-to' websites, and on the right screen I run FF for searches and general browsing. FF does not have a 64 bit app except for in beta, so I'm using that one.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I dropped IE for Chrome then dropped Chrome for Maxthon.

I liked Chrome but for some reason would crash on me.