Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

good job! that's rad

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #22

That looks pretty cool. Also looks like a tilt cab model. Do need to remove the pod(s) to tilt the cab for engine access or does it clear the overhang or is this built on a lift bed?

Old 06-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #23

Good job, all your hard work is done. Now take that first trip with everything completed and enjoy the freedom.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #24

Wow. Just... wow!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #25

Thanks for the nice comments. Eventually I will collect all of the build in some sort of organized list but I will attach a few inside pics to this message.

Sam, we are heading to the scales tomorrow to get axle weights. Our calculations have the garage pod helping out the front axle weight which was getting close to max capacity because of the overhang of the main pod. Overall weight we estimate to be about 15,500 empty, with a GVWR on the truck of 19,500. It will be interesting to see how close our calculations are to reality. There is a similar model heavier duty truck with a GVWR of 25,950 but it does have a higher base weight so you don't gain a full 6500 pounds of extra cargo capacity. Probably more like an extra 2000 pounds of cargo gain. There is some possibility of lightening the flatbed of this truck by 600 pounds (it adds 2000 pounds to the truck by itself).

Car-Guy, yes, this is a tilt cab. I have found you don't really need to access the engine that often (most fluids can be checked with the cab un-tilted). In order to tilt the cab you need to either raise the main camper pod on the jacks a few inches (about 8) using the plug in jack stands, or slide it back on the flatbed (if the garage pod is not there) or remove both pods. A trade off for trying to get the maximum living space in the shortest length vehicle possible while maintaining headroom for a very tall person yet keeping the height of the whole rig reasonable.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #26

Really amazing! Congrats on your future travels.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #27

You need to go into the custom RV business; very impressive.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

Car-Guy, yes, this is a tilt cab. I have found you don't really need to access the engine that often (most fluids can be checked with the cab un-tilted). In order to tilt the cab you need to either raise the main camper pod on the jacks a few inches (about 8) using the plug in jack stands, or slide it back on the flatbed (if the garage pod is not there) or remove both pods. A trade off for trying to get the maximum living space in the shortest length vehicle possible while maintaining headroom for a very tall person yet keeping the height of the whole rig reasonable.
Interesting... Sounds like reasonable trade-offs to me.

Enjoy and be safe.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #29

Looks amazing. You obviously built it with your own needs in mind. Smart! Do let us know how it all works on the road (speed, mileage, ride quality, maneuverability, etc.) Have fun and congrats on your ER.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #30

A little update. We have taken a couple of trips now in our homebuilt RV truck camper. It drives great and is getting around 10mpg which is better than I thought considering we are usually tipping the scales at 16,000 pounds or better.

Recently we unloaded the pods in our backyard and took the truck in for full service. While we had the pods off, we decided to remove all of the old flatbed wood and we only added back three new pieces of apitong hardwood. We calculate we have saved over 600 pounds doing this and the pods are still fully supported and do not shift or slide. Slight downside that now the flatbed has openings but it is still pretty usable as a flatbed for hauling things. We could always toss some temporary 4x8 sheets of ply across it if we needed a solid bed for something. My wife has already calculated 600 more pounds of stuff we can take on our journeys .

Last week we took the truck camper to Mount St Helens. This is a great time of year to go as there are near zero crowds. We stayed at the Lower Falls campground on Lewis river and road our motorcycles on a beautiful route right up to the crater. Coming back from Helens we decided spur of the moment to detour over to Long Beach, WA for a couple of nights on the beach. We rode the motorcycles some 20 miles right on the beach (this is legal!) then washed them off very well . Yay for ER to let you take those roads less traveled...it makes all the difference.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

OK. Now I am jealous. Awesome job on the project and have an great FIRE. Looks like you are doing just fine.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #32

You should be proud. I know how satisfying it can be to accomplish something like that. Great pictures too!
Old 10-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All those years of playing with Tinker Toys and Legos finally paid off!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #34

Most excellent!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:13 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Very Nice. I have an RV, but I didn't build it. I can't wait until I retire to use it more.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #36

I am really impressed that you built this. Great job!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Tremendous!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those WR's are a nice mount for what you did there. Is that some wacky custom home made to look like a lighthouse?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #39

Rodi's post in the other thread about home downsizing reminded me of this thread. I figure I will post a few pictures as we set out on our adventure.

We closed on the house today and now just need to sell our 2008 Toyota Tundra 4x4. I am thinking of taking it to the Toyota dealer where we bought it and seeing how much they will give us. It only has 48k miles. Maybe take Uber back to our RV since I have never tried that service. Alternatively we could load the motorcycles in the truck and ride them back...or try to park the RV in Kirkland...

Here are some pics of the RV setup as it is currently. The garage pod now has a 3 axis milling machine in it but to use it you really need to take out the motorcycles and bicycles. I had to leave the lasers behind in storage, just not enough room for a 10kW laser (I tried SO HARD to figure out how to take that one). Oh well, guess I won't be making nanobots on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullyloaded.jpg (292.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg cncmill.jpg (170.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm curious about that CNC mill. It looks like it has a large work envelope, but is somewhat lightly built. Can you cut metal on it or does machining time effectively limit it to softer plastics. We had a similarly light CNC machine at (former!) work. Accurate as heck, but its limitations on hard materials often caused my colleagues to call upon the Bridgeport in my home.