Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the updates Fermion. Sounds like lots of fun adventures ahead. Subscribed!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We made our way down to Florida on the forgotten coast (the cheap part of Florida!). We rented a little house on a small lake for a month just to spread out a bit (and the house was not really that much more than the RV park). I think we will winter in Texas on the gulf though. Fewer tourists, more room.

Put our sailboat in the Gulf of Mexico today off the Florida panhandle. She has now sailed in the Pacific ocean, eight states, and the gulf.

We were joined by a pod, or maybe lots of pods of dolphin? There were at least 20, and they followed us every way that we tacked, swimming along the sailboat and diving under it. I wish I had had a mackerel to toss to them.

We have some fishing gear now and so will be trying for speckled trout or flounder (maybe snapper if we sail into deeper waters).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (922.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (917.6 KB, 42 views)

Old 10-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #63

Wow, what a life! RV'ing, kayaking, riding motorcycles, sailing...sounds like a permanent vacation. Impressive, that you built the RV yourself. Keep updating this thread, please.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #64

Fermian - you and your wife are truly living the dream!!!
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #65

Still bumming around here in Florida, near Saint Augustine. The weather has finally turned tolerable (was 80, now 68).

We found a nice little county park right on the lake where you can keep your sailboat in the water next to your camp for free. The park is about $20 a night for full hookups.

The weather and wind have been great for sailing. I am trying to get as good as I can on this little 17 foot boat knowing it will be a different beast when we purchase a big sailboat. We set off on Wednesday in 15 to 20 mph winds and did not use the outboard for anything except docking. We had to tack 19 times down a narrow river channel full of stumps and snags to get to the bigger lake and it was a blast! Once we got on the big lake the wind had gusts to probably 25mph but yet I did not reef. We were on a 20% heel and were doing 6.2 knots in a beam reach in a boat with a max hull speed of about 5.6 knots. :-D

We found another town on the lake with a dock and Tiki bar so we pulled in there to eat lunch.

Anyone else miss work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tikibar.jpg (912.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg channeltack.jpg (850.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg sailroute.jpg (883.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #66

An update. We bought some property (28 acres) in north eastern Washington (in all of our travels last year, Washington was still the best). We plan to continue traveling with the RV pods but this gives us a little bit of a home base to spread out and relax from the jumping from spot to spot every two weeks. We also want to do some winter activities but I don't want to drive the rig in snow, so we may do a winter here on the property as well.

We have a LOT of trees. Douglas fir, ponderosa, grand fir, cedar, and lodgepole. The lodgepole is nearing end of life according to our forester and we should sell it. There are perhaps 400 to 600 of them around 14" diameter and 70 to 80 feet tall. I cut down three that were too close to the RV for comfort and it is nice wood, tight grain. I am using some of it to support the garage pod LOL. Just out of the three trees I probably could get four or more cords of firewood. Need a wood stove or something.

We unloaded the pods and picked up a new toy! A Kubota U35-4 mini excavator of around 9000 pounds! Oh My is this thing fun! It can rip out a stump in 15 seconds that takes me 15 minutes to dig out by hand. We picked it up in western Washington and drove it 300 miles on our Isuzu NRR that normally carries the RV pods. We even drove over the 4200 foot Stevens Pass (went in the slow lane).

How many other RVs can carry a 9000 pound excavator with no trailer needed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U35onNRR.jpg (990.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations with the property and the toy!

My RV definately can't unless I use a trailer.

If I'm not going south in the winter I put studded tires on my RV and drive in the snow. It's rear wheel drive and rear heavy so it behaves very well in the snow. It looks to me like yours is rear wheel drive too. Not that I want to push you into the snow!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #68

Excellent! You are truly living the dream. Those excavators are amazing. We rented one to clear stumps and posts from a property we developed. Really a blast. Enjoy your new playground. Maybe I'll try to find you sometime while riding our dual sport motorcycles.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #69

I've said it so many times already but seriously I want to be like Fermion when I grow up! RVs, tractors,/xcavators, dual sports, living in the woods in the snow, wood stove...all things I've been dreaming of for when I retire. For now I live vicariously through these posts and some people I follow on youtube and blogspot.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Still bumming around here in Florida, near Saint Augustine. The weather has finally turned tolerable (was 80, now 68).

We found a nice little county park right on the lake where you can keep your sailboat in the water next to your camp for free. The park is about $20 a night for full hookups.
Gotta ask--read on some boating forums about people getting hit with large fees/taxes for boating in Florida. I think the gotchas are not being registered in another state, coming to FL in the first 6 months after purchase, or being in FL for more than 90 days. Any of these trigger a requirement to register the vessel in FL. Did you run in to any of this?