Finally finished our homebuilt RV!

So sometimes we fantasize about buying some sort of tallish gooseneck trailer shell and going from there. Currently we prefer to pull with a pickup truck since it serves as the local transport without having to pull a vehicle.

No CNC skills - but have tools and skills for building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, woodworking, vehicle repair, lite upholstery. Some welding available from a relative (limited by time).

I always thought that a used aluminum fifth wheel horse trailer would be great to modify into a RV. They're so low to the ground with torsion springs, and they're not 13' tall like our big 12,000 lb. fifth wheel trailer with aerodynamics of a brick. Many already have small living quarters in the front that could be easily expanded in the unfinished rear.

And aluminum horse trailers are very well constructed and tow extremely well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horse trailers sound like a good option. But could you clean them enough to get the smell of urine and feces out?

Horse trailers are built much better than a typical RV and are usually aluminum. I agree on the urine though...I think I would go new instead of used if going that route.

DAMN YOU BOTH.....Bamaman and Fermion... LMAO....
Like I need any help with finding project's to dream up....
We have been going back and forth about a TH vs MH and pull a trailer, and building one has also been on the table... almost bought an old GMC MH with the front wheel drive. But never had the idea of a horse trailer cross my mind... And living near the Tryon International Equestrian Center... theres plenty around here.

Horse trailers sound like a good option. But could you clean them enough to get the smell of urine and feces out?

Horse trailers are built much better than a typical RV and are usually aluminum. I agree on the urine though...I think I would go new instead of used if going that route.

New is definitely the way to go here. :)

But while building things is always fun, I am too old to even contemplate doing something like this. Chances are high that I would not be able to finish the job, even if I could overcome my wife's cries of "Are you going insane?", and threats of divorce.

Check Ritchie Brothers auction at the end of the month they have a 1971 Eagle MH up for auction ....I wonder what it will go for . Looks like an old Greyhound. Might be a neat project
If cheap enough.

Check Ritchie Brothers auction at the end of the month they have a 1971 Eagle MH up for auction ....I wonder what it will go for . Looks like an old Greyhound. Might be a neat project
If cheap enough.

Hmm, an RV almost exactly as old as I am. I wonder if it has any aches and pains...

Hmm, an RV almost exactly as old as I am. I wonder if it has any aches and pains...

UGH... Then I have a few years on you then... aches and pains are one thing... leaking seals on the other hand....
I looked up several and DANG there are some nice ones out there...

You can get some real bargains at Ritchie . A friend bought a small dozer for his farm for
12,000 . Put 1700. Into it and he is happy.

I think some of the bigger horse trailers actually come with living quarters for the owners. This makes me wonder if a lot of the work in building the "RV" has been done for you. The horse area could be turned into a bonus room, or workshop, toy storage, etc.

Like this, but newerish

https://www.thetrailerplace.com/horse-trailer/2004-bloomer-new-generation-3h-lq-gn-11117/

Yeah, we had a "horse woman" at w*rk. She was in the horse "business" on the side so could write off her elaborate horse trailer with built-in human quarters. I honestly don't think "horse people" worry too much about the smell but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom