Finally joining the "data plan" family ....

You're not alone, but we're only now starting to see data with some cell phone plans becoming reasonable as long as you aren't a data hog... It doesn't even mean being a Luddite. I've been goofing around and working with computers since about 1980. I have a degree in Computer Science and spent 26 years in industry before being unceremoniously downsized in April. But I never felt it was a cost-effective thing to do.

Very well said; I share your thoughts. I spent part of this past weekend getting my father set up with some things on his new iPad and smartphone. I even read through most of the Android API this summer and fiddled with app development. The technology interests me, but I still don't feel compelled to spend several hundred dollars on a device plus another thousand dollars per year for a data plan. My $50 phone with $12/month service from PagePlus is fine. I spend much more time on my $300, four-year-old, Toshiba laptop.

Tim

I've had a smartphone since 2002. They have just become part of life. On vacation in the US I use the $45 StraightTalk unlimited plan, and in Indonesia my monthly data bill runs about $25 for me and DW combined. I keep in touch with my kids, translate to/from Indonesian, cheat on crossword puzzles, look up the name of that old movie I can't quite remember, watch the Giants game/highlights on the way to work, read/listen to books, take photos... I find it worth the money and don't find it a tether at all.

I've had 2 unlocked Android smart phones since 2008, but never paid for a data plan. Too much of a rip-off. I pay for t-mobile's prepaid plan ($100 per year -- includes voice and text messages), and use WIFI for free, whenever possible.

I am now thinking to go with T-Mobile prepaid plan ($100, 1000 mins, 1 year duration), and let DW & DS upgrade their phones to data plan with Verizon.

Having each had water incidents with our Pantech "big number" flip phones we got the last time we renewed our 2 year ATT plan ... my wife & I now both carry no-frills ATT go-phones, just swapped the Sim cards that came with them for our plan Sim cards. I spend a lot of time boating & fishing, so not sure a pricey phone wouldbe right for me anyway. Accidents do happen. We have a 400 min per month ATT shared family plan that rolls over minutes. 19 y/o daughter has a fancy smart phone she wanted for her birthday a couple years ago with a couple gigs of data & 200 texts per month. Wife & I hardly ever text & daughter doesn't text often. I don't like texting & I hate when people text me ('cause it costs 20 cents to view it). Daughter uses her data some ... but not a lot ... and uses her phone on WiFi more often. Total for all is about $108 per month including all taxes, fees, etc. We never use up all of our minutes, although we seem to talk on the phone a lot. Nights & weekends don't count against minutes, nor do calls to other ATT cell phone users. (We also have a landline in the house that comes as part of our cableTV/internet package. We use that some.)

Wife and I have agreed smart phones might be a nice little luxury for us ... but one we can live without considering the total costs. Just not worth it. Maybe in the future if prices come down no no-contract smart phones - which they seem to be starting to.

We usually take one of our bargain-basement laptops with us on trips.

Sounds like our family scenario. I've had two go in the water off boats, one attached to my wife. Likewise, the laptop works better both at home and on the road for getting anything done. If you want to get in touch call me, if it's not critical send and email.

I finally came into the 21st century 3 years ago ...

You forgot about this 'classic'!

motorola_8000x.gif

I skimmed the thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

DW wanted something so she could text and share photos with the kids and friends (OK, she could text with her RAZR, but that's not EZ w/o a full keyboard). I was very hesitant to jump to some $30 plus a month plan, since we are 'Gold Status' with T-Mobile, which means just $10 a year (83 cents per month, yes, CENTS), assuming you don't use very many minutes/texts.

So I got her the Samsung Exhibit smartphone from Walmart for $200, and put her old SIM card in it, maintaining our 'Gold Status'. You can get full data for $2-$3 per day, and stick to the $10/year plan for as long as those minutes hold out. Mostly, she is within wifi rage, so she doesn't use many minutes. In fact, we have yet to turn on the $2-$3 per day data plan, but it is there if we need it. I did add $25 instead of just $10 last cycle to cover the added texting, but <$2.50/month is still cheap, cheap, cheap.

-ERD50

I just did my yearly buying of minutes for my Tracfone yesterday. Received 1250 minutes (bonus of 250 minutes) for $107.69 including the taxes and fees. I now have over 3000 minutes, but normally keep my phone turned off.

I do have the Ipod Touch, but have not tried using it as a phone via Skype. I should try that sometime. I normally use my Ipod as a camera and for listening to music when I am flying somewhere, which is not often. I usually keep it turned off also. I tend to forget about charging phones and Ipod, so find it is better to keep them turned off. I guess that I should try to use my Ipod Touch more often.

My spouse loves his Iphone and uses it for looking things up. He just came in and showed me when Ohio State plays its bowl, he texts and uses a lot of apps. If we were not together so much, I probably would break down and get a smartphone. I just don't think it would pay me to at this stage of the game. I am one of the few people that still prefer a land line phone. I know, I really do need to get with the times!

DH and I have ancient flip phones also. I pay $100 / month for 4 phones (both our mom's are on our plans and I use a fair amount of minutes for my j*b). I have an Acer 7" tablet that I use for apps and photos. I don't pay for data and have found that free Wi-Fi is fairly easy to find. We're total homebodies so a fancy phone just isn't worth it. Once I retire I'm ditching the plan phones and going with annual prepaid for all of us.

I just did my yearly buying of minutes for my Tracfone yesterday. Received 1250 minutes (bonus of 250 minutes) for $107.69 including the taxes and fees. I now have over 3000 minutes, but normally keep my phone turned off.

I do have the Ipod Touch, but have not tried using it as a phone via Skype. I should try that sometime. I normally use my Ipod as a camera and for listening to music when I am flying somewhere, which is not often. I usually keep it turned off also. I tend to forget about charging phones and Ipod, so find it is better to keep them turned off. I guess that I should try to use my Ipod Touch more often.

My spouse loves his Iphone and uses it for looking things up. He just came in and showed me when Ohio State plays its bowl, he texts and uses a lot of apps. If we were not together so much, I probably would break down and get a smartphone. I just don't think it would pay me to at this stage of the game. I am one of the few people that still prefer a land line phone. I know, I really do need to get with the times!

I bought the same number of annual Tracfone minutes a few days ago, but I paid $109.79. Hey, you saved $2.00! :)

I think it just depends on how you would use it (or if you would). Things I use my iPhone for (and DH uses his Android phone similarly):

1. As our phone. We have no landline so a good phone is important to us.

2. For texting. Yes, that can be done on a "regular" (aka dumb) phone but it is easier on a smartphone (IMHO).

3. Reading books. Today DH and I went out shopping. He was in a slow line at the store so I went back to the car and opened up a Kindle book on my phone and read.

4. Flashlight.

5. Compass

6. Level

7. Sync my Fitbit through Bluetooth on it.

8. Camera - I even have a new lens to make the camera better.

olloclip macro, telephoto, wide angle, fish-eye, and polarizing iPhone photo lenses

Yes, I have a "real" camera but I've found with this phone that it handles about 99% of my photo needs.

9. Upload photos and posts to Facebook (and read Facebook)

10. Keep recipes on Cook'n, my recipe program.

11. Look up calories and WW points for restaurants while I'm at the restaurant or if we decide while out to go somewhere.

12. Calculate WW points for food I look at in the grocery store.

13. Read the newspaper

14. Listen to music

15. Watch videos

16. Check the weather

17. Find my way using the map and GPS

18. Check the stock market

19. Buy things at auction on World of Warcraft

20. Provide my authenticator for my World of Warcraft account

21. Use Skype

22. Record what I eat on MyFitnessPal

23. Play games.

24. Use the calculator

25. Use it as a remote for my TV.

26. Take notes

27. Record and look up reminders

28. Use Twitter

29. Read this forum.

30. Make deposits to my bank

Hmm...need to go get some more apps....

Yes! And them some. 40+ apps and use on regular basis. Will be setting up friend on plan soon.

I bought the same number of annual Tracfone minutes a few days ago, but I paid $109.79. Hey, you saved $2.00! :)
I just top off every 3 months for 60 minutes at $20. $80 annual. We get the bonus minutes which makes it 2x minutes. DW has 1000+ minutes, she needs to talk more. I have a lot too. Mostly use it on vacations.

I just top off every 3 months for 60 minutes at $20. $80 annual. We get the bonus minutes which makes it 2x minutes. DW has 1000+ minutes, she needs to talk more. I have a lot too. Mostly use it on vacations.

If you don't need the minutes, buy a 30 min card then at check out it gives an option to buy 1 year of time only for $50. It saves a few $$ if you don't need minutes.

I need to remember these great hints for buying the Tracfone time next year, but I will probably forget!

If you don't need the minutes, buy a 30 min card then at check out it gives an option to buy 1 year of time only for $50. It saves a few $$ if you don't need minutes.
Sounds like a convenient way to go, thanks.

I used to do the $20 every 90 days, but a couple of times I almost forgot, and if you miss the date, apparently you lose your phone number and have to get a new one. So this year, to be on the safe side, I bought time for the entire year. The memory isn't what it used to be sometimes. :(

Here in Thailand dumbphone service can be very cheap if you buy cards instead of having a contract. Last year I spent a total of about $6.

We are switching to Republic Wireless. They have 4 plans to choose from $5 - $40 a month. They only offer one phone but it is a pretty good one. The phone uses WiFi for everything when it's available and if not then it uses sprint network. If there is no sprint signal then it roams to Verizon's network. We just made a trip to northern New Hampshire and the service was just as good on the $10 month plan as it was on my Verizon phone that I am paying $200 a month for three phones! Check them out if you don't need the latest and greatest iPhone😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've been keeping an eye on them just to see how well their model works. (For us, it's a non-issue since, as I said above, we only have AT&T here.) But for me personally, the beef I have with Republic is that you have little choice in phones, AND (worse, IMO) that phone is hopelessly and forever locked into Republic. That's not a problem if you love the service and use it for years, but if it doesn't work for you, that phone becomes a brick.

Circumstances are different for different people, of course, but just as I no longer ever want a contract, I never want to use a locked phone ever again. I bought a Nexus 4 shortly before they were discontinued and after their last $100 price cut, for $199 and totally unlocked.

Yep that is the only catch but if you just want unlimited voice and text and data for a really good price it is a great option. And the phone is a pretty good one too. I figure in 4 months I will break even and then I will be saving at least $100 a month with no difference in the service I have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Let us know more about your experience with Republic Wireless. I'm looking into it for a relative who is trying to update everything and lower costs (computer, internet, phone, TV).

I agree with ziggy, I prefer unlocked GSM, but as you say, if you can stick to the $10 plan most months, the payback likely makes it a non-issue in about a year. And I would think you could sell it on ebay to others looking to sign up for RW?

-ERD50

I got a cell phone after having a flat in the middle of nowhere. But its not a smart phone, because I am retired and have internet service at home. Don't carry the cell phone unless I am travelling because the car has On-Star so if it breaks down I use it. (if you subscribe to on-star you get towing). I have had to change the cell phone twice, the first because the old model was no longer being supported by the carrier, and the second because the battery swelled up. Last year I still managed to find a non smart phone, but it has a camera, but I don't use it.

My solution to avoid dependency (*) is to run a decidedly non-smart old Nokia phone, and then have a tablet (Google Nexus 7) for travelling. The Nexus has WiFi but no phone-based data connection. So when on the road, I regularly find myself obliged to read books (or PDFs - a nice feature!) on the Kindle app, or (shock!) talk to people. But I can also get my e-mails fairly quickly at any SBUX, McD, etc if I want. Plus, smartphone screens are so *small*, unless you have one of those "phablets" (5.8-inch screen), which then look ridiculous when you have to actually make a phone call.

(*) That said, I spend a lot of time at home where there are two proper computers...

If you have ATT, definitely check out their new pricing on shared mobile plans. Four smartphones sharing 10 GB of data, with unlimited calling and texting = $160 per month. We used to pay $185, and each person was limited to 200 MB per month. Decent $$ savings, but access to 12+ times more data.

Back
Top Bottom